Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

RAIN

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

'There are four principles for mindful transformation of difficulties that are taught in Western mindfulness retreats with the acronym RAIN. RAIN stands for Recognition, Acceptance, Investigation, and Non-Indentification. This acronym echoes the Zen poets who tell us “the rain falls equally on all things.” Like the nourishment of outer rain, the inner principles of RAIN can transform our difficulties.....
When we meet the world with recognition, acceptance, investigation and non-identification, we discover that wherever we are, freedom is possible, just as the rain falls on and nurtures all things equally.'

Here's a little break down of each letter:

https://jackkornfield.com/doing-the-buddhas-practice/

May you all have a nice day. :smiley:

Cinorjermisecmisc1MorningstarkarastiRuddyDuck9silverlobsterpersonShoshinDairyLamaDavid

Comments

• “The emergence and blossoming of understanding, love, and intelligence has nothing to do with any outer tradition,” observes Zen teacher Toni Packer. “It happens completely on its own when a human being questions, wonders, listens, and looks without getting stuck in fear. When self-concern is quiet, in abeyance, heaven and earth are open.”

Given the slaughter at the gay club yesterday and the ignorant comments from people on the internet about it, I needed a cool breeze and a deep breath. Thanks for sharing this.

VastmindkarastiRuddyDuck9lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Thank you for this tread, @Vastmind. I had to admit, on first spotting the title, I, being in the very damp and miserable UK (right now) was quite ready to declare you could happily take all of ours...

However, your first post, and the contents of @Cinorjer's, are both insightful and worthy of contemplation.

lobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@Vastmind thank you! I love this, and you, too!

NB is a bit of a sanctuary to me. I come here when I cannot stand social media and news. Not only then, lol, but especially then. The same topics might be discussed, but it is with a different feel and a general level of respect. We can discuss and support at the same time (usually anyhow) and I am grateful for this place this morning.

RuddyDuck9silverlobsterVastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Awesome! Thanks everyone.

I'll have what he's having!

Vastmindsilver
  • Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

I find it chilling to recognize that I probably owe ISIS this same process. Recognition: They are attracting and recruiting followers, including educated Westerners. Acceptance . . . et c.

If I am truly to understand them (and shouldn't we?) then it seems we must start with this process. That doesn't mean that we'll ultimately agree, or embrace. But surely there could be potential gain in seeking to RAIN.

lobsterVastmind