Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Multiple Meditation Habbits

I've asked this question many times on yahoo but no one seems to be able to give me a half decent answer.

Meditation is a daily habbit right and needs to be to yeald any benefits. I do mindfulness meditation. If I wanted to try different style like compassion meditation or something do I have to start a whole new daily habbit on top of the mindfulness?

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2016

You could alternate the meditations, one each day. You could do two sits each day, one for each type. Or you could combine them in the same daily session, perhaps starting with a short period of metta then moving on to mindfulness meditation.
    It depends on your daily schedule really.

lobsterrohitkarasti
  • MingleMingle Veteran

I sit twice a day 20 mins each when I wake up and before I go to bed (normally fall asleep on that one though). I'd like to try a death meditation.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I meditate during the day, several times, anything from around 30 seconds to 5 minutes.... depending on time available... at work, or at home...

While I think establishing a Meditation habit is good, if the session is not fruitful or productive to your mind-set, you don't have to rigidly stick with it....

• gracklegrackle Veteran

I begin with saying May all beings be happy,may all beings be free. Mentioning all of the six points. North,east,west and south. Plus zenith and nadir. Then comes reciting the refuges. After this your mind is ready to practice cultivation. See if that helps.

Be fairly flexible about the time. Minutes or hours its up to you.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Why not just stick to your mindfulness practice and show compassion/loving kindness in your interaction with other sentient beings throughout the day...

In Tibetan Buddhism 'meditation' is called "Gom" which means "familiarisation" and what better way to practice familiarising oneself with compassion than by taking it off the cushion...

This short video clip 10% Advantage should provide you with the tools you need to start practising....

rohit
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Mingle said:
    I sit twice a day 20 mins each when I wake up and before I go to bed (normally fall asleep on that one though). I'd like to try a death meditation.

Aye caramba, meditation can kill you?
    http://opcoa.st/0B7Pb

It's a Buddha Mind-field out there or is that in there ...
    When you 'meditate', have you considered meditating? o:) [oops - naughty corner beckons]

RuddyDuck9
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Mingle said:
    I've asked this question many times on yahoo but no one seems to be able to give me a half decent answer.

Meditation is a daily habbit right and needs to be to yeald any benefits. I do mindfulness meditation. If I wanted to try different style like compassion meditation or something do I have to start a whole new daily habbit on top of the mindfulness?

Well, the way I understand mindfulness v meditation, mindfulness can be carried out all through your day, but meditation is or can be a bit more formal and usually has a set time as chosen by the individual. I honestly don't think at all in terms of 'mindfulness meditation' but it's what each makes of it.

lobster
  • RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

@silver said:
    Well, the way I understand mindfulness v meditation, mindfulness can be carried out all through your day, but meditation is or can be a bit more formal and usually has a set time as chosen by the individual.

!! do many of you all sit at the same time every day? :surprised: I find it difficult to do so. For example, I always try to take breath in the shower before my day begins, and I always try to take it at the end of the day, but more often than not the end of the day is just me passing out :eh: I feel like this is a bit lazy of me, that I need to learn to slow down more during the day and just be mindfull always. Many days I just find myself surprised with a half hour in which I happily have not booked myself in something, and so I sit...

And to answer OP @Mingle I tend to change the type of sitting based on how my mind is working that day. Some days all I can manage is breathing. Some days I can still it better. Some days I can't help but do lovingkindness. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to always follow a specific trend. Do what comes naturally to you.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@RuddyDuck9 said, "!! do many of you all sit at the same time every day? :surprised:

:3 Very funny! I was just stating that I know the difference.
    (I meant that on an individual basis - time set aside.)

RuddyDuck9
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Wot Meditation?

I once met a desert mystic. His technique was to sweep away all thoughts that were not God. Good enough for theists ...

Here are some Buddhist type techniques:

• Formal zen technique

• Using auditory prompts
      http://www.freemindfulness.org/download

• Add a list of affirmations, relaxing suggestions to a note pad, WP, smart phone, tablet or PC. scroll up and down. I use a presentation package ...

• Use a slideshow of Buddha images, sutra quotes, mantras etc

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I think it's good to be multiple, trying out different methods. You can easily get stuck in a rut just doing one thing.
    Variety is the spice of life, a change is as good as a rest, and Neapolitan is superior. :p

lobster