Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dhatus vs Ayatanas

FullCircleFullCircle Explorer
edited June 2016 in Buddhism Basics

Hello everyone,
Can anyone tell me where to find what sutta to find what the Buddha said about Dhatus and Ayatanas (which maybe are Mahayana terms).. What is the main difference - seems like the 12 already are in the 18. Why did he add the 12? Thank you!

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2016

In the suttas dhatu means property or element, most commonly referring to the four great elements of earth, water, wind and fire, and their derivatives. Ayatana means sphere, most commonly referring to the sense bases, eg eye and form, ear and sound.
    This is a useful reference site: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/

Could you explain a bit further what you mean about the 12 being in the 18?

• Hi Spiny,
    I thought the 18 dhatus were the 6 sense organs, the 6 sense objects, and the 6 sense consciousnesses. Then the 12 Ayatanas are the same but just don't include the consciousness part? I need to study up but that's what I remember at the moment ..
    So I wanted to understand why the Buddha separated these like this. Thank you:)

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

@FullCircle said:
    Hi Spiny,
    I thought the 18 dhatus were the 6 sense organs, the 6 sense objects, and the 6 sense consciousnesses. Then the 12 Ayatanas are the same but just don't include the consciousness part? I need to study up but that's what I remember at the moment ..
    So I wanted to understand why the Buddha separated these like this. Thank you:)

In Devnagari or Prakrit language.

Now a days a word 'Dhatu' commonly used to refer 'metal'. It also means solid materials or elements.

"Yatana" word refers to "pain" or sensation (generally unpleasant). 'A/अ' prefix used as 'non or un' of English to reflect opposite of the word.

Shoshin
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

There is other word Aayat which means diagonal.