Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

wings to awakening

upekkaupekka Veteran
edited July 2016 in Arts & Writings

can we read first two chapters (if it is too much, the first chapter) of 'wings to awakenning' by thannisaro bikkhu (available in internet) and discuss the important point

(this is a new thread, so i am not contributing to any other thread)

if at least one or two members can read and provide the important aspects of what they have read that will be very fruitful for new comers as well as oldies

pleasurable walking for those who still walks and pleasurable swim for those who already started to swim for the other shore
<3

Comments

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

Hi @upekka I have trouble reading off a computer screen - I just can't take the information in off long texts and therefore prefer paper books. I have a copy of Wings to Awakening in the post from the USA but it may be a couple of weeks before it turns up. I would love to join in when my print copy arrives.

upekka
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@upekka said: can we read first two chapters (if it is too much, the first chapter) of 'wings to awakenning' by thannisaro bikkhu (available in internet) and discuss the important point

I found that book really hard going. Would it be possible to post in a paragraph from Chapter 1 for discussion?

• upekkaupekka Veteran

if the chapter 1 is too hard why do not we start the discussion with next chapter
    it seems the next chapter is pretty easy to grasp

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Too dry for me sorry @upekka - good luck!

• lobsterlobster Veteran

No link. No teaching. No thank you! (too harsh?)

Come on @uppeka, we lazy Dharmaists need to be spoon fed ambrosia before participating ... :3

RuddyDuck9
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited July 2016

@Bunks said:
    Too dry for me sorry @upekka - good luck!

no need to say sorry
    if you can, you can
    if you can't you can't
    that's all

@lobster said:

Come on @uppeka, we lazy Dharmaists need to be spoon fed ambrosia before participating ... :3

as far as i remember you people talk about Right effort on NEP, may be i am wrong

BunksRuddyDuck9lobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@upekka said:

@lobster said:

as far as i remember you people talk about Right effort on NEP, may be i am wrong

Ha! Cop that @lobster

lobsterShoshinDairyLamaRuddyDuck9
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2016

Lobster goes to find a cushion to hide behind ... B)

I'll be vegan back!

... but probably not here ... :p

RuddyDuck9
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2016

You'll be claiming the dog ate your homework next. :p

lobsterpossibilitiesWalkerRuddyDuck9
  • RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

In my current state of chaotic monkey mind, the only think I could think at the moment was: Mr. Bojangles?

"The Seven Factors for Awakening (bojjhaṅga)
    Mindfulness as a factor for Awakening (sati-sambojjhaṅga).
    Analysis of qualities as a factor for Awakening (dhamma-vicaya-sambojjhaṅga).
    Persistence as a factor for Awakening (viriya-sambojjhaṅga).
    Rapture as a factor for Awakening (pīti-sambojjhaṅga).
    Serenity as a factor for Awakening (passaddhi-sambojjhaṅga).
    Concentration as a factor for Awakening (samādhi-sambojjhaṅga).
    Equanimity as a factor for Awakening (upekkhā-sambojjhaṅga)."

But on a more serious note, this text:

"if I — who am subject to illness, not beyond illness — were to be horrified, humiliated, & disgusted on seeing another person who is ill, that would not be fitting for me.' As I noticed this, the healthy person's intoxication with health entirely dropped away."

is the first key bit for me, because it shows SG finally coming to the realization that he is the person on the street. He has been and will be that person and there is no escaping that eventuality. Without this "aha!" moment we would not have Buddhism as we know it today.

lobsterupekka