Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tranquility/Insight Meditation

what is difference between these two?

if you can give your understanding with your own words it would be much appreciated

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Tranquility means calmness - a tranquil frame of mind is conducive to insight.
    Insight is gaining important meaning and wisdom when we think about/observe other people's and our own emotions and thoughts - usually within the framework of a given situation, and so on.

upekkaJaySonTigger
  • They are different ways to practice, but sometimes one might yield the result of the other. Not too sure if they can be considered the same.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

One could say....
    Insight =Obtaining Knowledge
    Tranquillity=Serene Calmness

In a nutshell...When working together....a 'knowing smile'

RuddyDuck9patjimyTigger
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@upekka said:
    what is difference between these two?

if you can give your understanding with your own words it would be much appreciated

tranquility is the only state of mind suitable for picnicking in the hell realms
    insight is knowing what hamper to bring

:p

Clue: I like to bring:

• Hinayanists to argue over why it is not their karma to be on the menu
    • Mahayanists to fulfill their obligations
    • Zenniths to slap down a few koans
    • Tantrikas to dance with devils and on their own skulls
    • Islamists to look for any promising demonic virgins
    • Catholics for the amusement value
    • Any bad karma I can accumulate

etc o:)

Here to help o:)

FosdickJaySonTigger
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited July 2016

@lobster said:

tranquility is the only state of mind suitable for picnicking in the hell realms
    insight is knowing what hamper to bring

:p

Clue: I like to bring:

• Hinayanists to argue over why it is not their karma to be on the menu
    • Mahayanists to fulfill their obligations
    • Zenniths to slap down a few koans
    • Tantrikas to dance with devils and on their own skulls
    • Islamists to look for any promising demonic virgins
    • Catholics for the amusement value
    • Any bad karma I can accumulate

etc o:)

Here to help o:)

as far as one does not notice the sarcastic nature of writings there is no kamma ripen on 'your sole' :p

if only if one takes it as a sarcastic remark, you are going to repay it in future (may be right now you are repaying) :p

be aware there are believers of other religions visit the forum sometimes =)

anyhow it always is a pleasure to read what you write <3

RuddyDuck9
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@upekka said: what is difference between these two?

Tranquillity ( samatha ) and insight ( vipassana ) are qualities of mind. Stillness and clarity.
    If using the breath one approach is to initially maintain a narrow focus of attention on the breath to develop tranquillity, then broaden out attention to other sensations to develop insight, noticing how stuff comes and goes. In some methods both qualities are developed simultaneously.

lobsterTigger
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@upekka said:... as far as one does not notice the sarcastic nature of writings there is no kamma ripen on 'your sole' :p

I don't think it was sarcasm. More tongue in cheek humour...

if only if one takes it as a sarcastic remark, you are going to repay it in future (may be right now you are repaying) :p

But neither you nor I normally anyone else can be sure of that and it is not your concern, so mention is not necessary...

So what? Their visit is their concern. Unless they seek membership, they have no sphere to be considered...

Hmmm... Maybe, sometimes, it's a challenge.... ;)

Fosdick
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@upekka said:

That would be tranquility ... unless they came across their own reflected judgements ...

... and that might be insight ... unless attached too much to my superficiality ...

and now back to the meditation

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited July 2016

@federica said:

@upekka said:... as far as one does not notice the sarcastic nature of writings there is no kamma ripen on 'your sole' :p

I don't think it was sarcasm. More tongue in cheek humour...

But neither you nor I normally anyone else can be sure of that and it is not your concern, so mention is not necessary...

So what? Their visit is their concern. Unless they seek membership, they have no sphere to be considered...

Hmmm... Maybe, sometimes, it's a challenge.... ;)

is there any thing (.....) that made you to write above?
    may be not
    so the best thing is to let go of it <3

@lobster said:

@upekka said:

That would be tranquility ... unless they came across their own reflected judgements ...

see, i already said you amuse me with your writing

... and that might be insight ...

thanks for the positive remarks

unless attached too much to my superficiality ...

i think (not sure) i am beyond that attachment :p

and now back to the meditation

<3

by the way @lobster, is there any relation to SL? if not just forget the question
    you may go back to the meditation<3

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited July 2016

Tranquility(serenity) is not uniquely Buddhist. Walk into a church or mosque and you experience serenity. Serenity doesn't necessarily lead to insight. It is also temporary - just walk out of a church onto a busy street!

Insight is different in that the reality of experience(anicca, dukkha and anatta) is directly observed(seeing things are they really are) ie. as empty. Insight remains regardless of where one is provided one is mindful. Serenity is an excellent base to achieve insight. After all being caught in the daily hustle and bustle is hardly conducive.

upekkalobster
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

it is appreciated if you can explain (in detail) how you do Insight Meditation

• lobsterlobster Veteran

by the way @lobster, is there any relation to SL?

Second Life (SL) is a virtual reality with meditation temples to visit. I have the insight to know it is fantasy AND benefit from the tranquility generated. Tantra uses a similar methodology. B)

http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/2010/01/bg-155-the-dharma-of-second-life/

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited July 2016

do you know that there are sixteen steps in in-out breath meditation?

can you forward those steps

(it would be much appreciated if they are not just a link but in your own words)

thanks

edited August 2016

If you mean the four tetrads of anapanasati, there are quite a few different commentaries.
    The most comprehensive commentary I have read is by Bhikkhu Buddhadasa: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/anapanasati.pdf

JaySon
  • thanks @SpinyNorman
    yes, this is what i wanted
    thanks again

JaySon

AN2.31 explains it clearly, samatha and vipassana as aspects of clear knowing.

“These two qualities have a share in clear knowing. Which two? Tranquillity (samatha) & insight (vipassana)."
    https://suttacentral.net/en/an2.31

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:

“These two qualities have a share in clear knowing. Which two? Tranquillity (samatha) & insight (vipassana)."

Very true, that rings a bell. I have experienced states of mind of great tranquility in which questions seemed to supply immediate, intuitive answers out of nowhere. Though I would find it hard to duplicate that state of mind at will.

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2017

@SpinyNorman said:

it took another six months to get the gist of the sutta
    thanks @SpinyNorman

lobster
  • JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

A wise teacher once said tranquility and insight are two sides of the same coin.

After he said that, I didn't think he was so wise anymore.

I love tranquility and dislike practicing insight.

Although those pesky insights often happen on their own as I deal with the five hindrances during tranquility meditation.

• @JaySon said:

I love tranquility and dislike practicing insight.

in other words, you greed for tranquility and hate for practicing insight
    if we have two hindrances can we get tranquility or insight?

JaySon
    edited January 2017

For me it's... another day, another hindrance.

• no
    if it is Dhamma, it is here and now , in one thought moment

My ill will toward Vipassana doesn't show up in my Samatha Meditation.

But yes, you could say I greed for tranquility at least when I first sit. Then I get to "work" polishing my mind of whatever hindrances are there at the moment and fifteen or twenty minutes later I'm usually in access concentration. Unless I'm dealing with what I call a superpowered hindrance.

upekkalobster
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Tranquility can be just the bliss that ignorance can bring.
    Insight can follow someone slapping your face; lesson learned (hopefully?)

I'd rather be blissfully ignorant and filled with loving kindness for all than a philosopher who is filled with useless wisdom.

• @Nirvana said:
    Tranquility can be just the bliss that ignorance can bring.
    Insight can follow someone slapping your face; lesson learned (hopefully?)

when there is wisdom there is tranquility too

@JaySon said:
    I'd rather be blissfully ignorant and filled with loving kindness for all than a philosopher who is filled with useless wisdom.

loving kindness is the natural byproduct of wisdom

ZenshinJaySon

@upekka said:

@JaySon said:

loving kindness is the natural byproduct of wisdom

Wisdom is the natural byproduct of loving kindness.

upekka
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

@JaySon said:
    My ill will toward Vipassana doesn't show up in my Samatha Meditation.

But yes, you could say I greed for tranquillity at least when I first sit.

greed for tranquillity is good because it erase hindrances by degrees

Then I get to "work" polishing my mind of whatever hindrances are there at the moment and fifteen or twenty minutes later I'm usually in access concentration.

have you ever tried to see what is happening in the body when there is access concentration?