Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha - The Original Communist?

This is just the seed of a thought that occurred to me the other day, okay a sapling as I've been thinking of it for a day or two.

Siddhārtha Gautama despite being born into all of his wealth realised that we are all equal, in my opinion he declared there was no real point in extreme religious devotion and that it could be detrimental. Gently tried to make people realise that we are all equal and should help each other out. There were people that could be supported in various roles (i.e. monks) by sharing things such as food and shelter and that would benefit society as a whole.

Like I say, it's just the beginning of an idea but I thought I would share it before I go to sleep zzzzzzz

IchLiebte

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2016

Didn't Jesus do the same, more or less? Except he wasn't so gentle, causing a real scene with the moneylenders.

The Dalai Lama says that communism (small "c" ;) ) promotes the same spiritual values as Buddhism, and that he considers himself a communist by that measure. He's serious.

On the other hand, the Buddha depended on the wealthy elites around him for donations to support his community of monks, and as I recall from a discussion about this here, a couple of years ago, he advised people to make the most of their talents, as long as the rewards for hard work and talent were mindfully and constructively spent. (i.e. for spiritual endeavors and to help others)

He didn't reject making money: only attachment to money and material things. So I wouldn't say he's a true communist. But these days, even some Communists aren't true communists, what with the Chinese regime urging everyone to get rich (all the better for tax revenue).

Kundoherberto
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

As @Jason says the Dharma and the Sangha have a strong communal aspect to them. Communism, with a big C, is a governmental and financial system so in that sense the Buddha wasn't about establishing a worldly governmental structure. But maybe as @Dakini says, the Buddha could be thought of as a small c communist.