Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How would you describe Buddhism ?

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

Two questions: (that have done the rounds) ... Open to beginners and seasoned practitioners...

And what impact has Buddhist practice had on your daily life ?

Carlita

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

1) The Noble Truths above other Truths

2) I can't answer that question.
    Every day is a new Birth - who knows what will happen, today?

Shoshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    1. A practical path to enlightenment and ultimate freedom
    2. A greater mindfulness, more aware emotional life, lessened patterns of clinging and a changed way of relating to other people
    ShoshinlobsterDairyLamaVastmind
  • CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    Two questions: (that have done the rounds) ... Open to beginners and seasoned practitioners...

And what impact has Buddhist practice had on your daily life ?

I describe Buddhism is having full understanding of the nature of life (life/death, nature of suffering, nature of change, and so forth) Four Noble Truths. Practicing and living the nature of life without attachment (8-fold path). The basics. I love to study; and, it helps deepen my path with the practice. So, on that note:

"And what us the noble search? Here someone being himself subject to birth, having understood the danger in what is subject to birth, seeks the unborn supreme security of bondage, Nibanna, he seeks he unaging supreme security from bondage, Nibanna; being himself subject to sickness, having understood the danger in what is subject to sickness, he seeks he unailing supreme security from bondage..." MN 26

How does it impact my daily life?

That's hard to answer because to me, Buddhism is life. Practicing and learning the Dharma benefit me daily because I am constantly reminded that becoming liberated isn't just about me. It shows me, though hard, to be kind and respectful to other people. It's more, to me, finding liberation of the mind in understanding the nature of life, practicing the Dharma by helping others (say in career or personally) find it in themselves through my actions.

I can't think of another life outside the Dharma, to put it that way. So, I'm always reminded of the teachings in whatever I do and whomever I speak with. Then I go back into practice to recenter myself, and continue to strengthen my mind-as others have said here, through mindfulness, and other many many techniques that lead to that state.

This is my personal journey. Everyone has different answers. My take.

Shoshinherberto
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    1. Learning to see things as they really are i.e. it's not always about me
    2. It has brought a lot of calmness to my mind and helped me understand the behaviour of others more clearly i.e. it's not always about me
    ShoshinherbertoVastmind
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

Direct perception of reality as it is.

Shoshinlobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Lonely_Traveller said:

What is "reality"?

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:

@Lonely_Traveller said:

What is "reality"?

Buddhism :)

@Shoshin said:

@SpinyNorman said:

@Lonely_Traveller said:

What is "reality"?

Buddhism :)

You naughty tautologist. :p

ShoshinJeroen
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    1. Don't point the gun if you can't pull the trigger.
    2. Poof!
  • GuiGui Veteran

Drop everything. Be no one.
    I don't know as much as I used to.

herbertoShoshinVastmind
  • namarupanamarupa Veteran
    edited July 2016
    1. To know what is real.
    2. How to be real.

It impacts my daily life by helping me observe thoughts and actions.

lobsterShoshinVastmind
  • ShimShim Veteran

Ask ten Buddhists about it, get twenty answers.

Shoshin
    edited July 2016

The Buddha sat in front of Shariputra with other gods, devas, sevankas, monks, and lay buddhists. His disciple (and the sounding followers) asked The Buddha a question about the nature of life. The Buddha repeated the question in rhetorical form; and then he said nothing. Both sat in silence.

Then The Buddha says, as he looks at his disciple, "now you know."

-
    ~I can't remember which sutta I read this from, so it's an adaption from memory. It''s one of my favorite ones as well.

Shim
  • ShimShim Veteran

@Carlita said:
    The Buddha sat in front of Shariputra with other gods, devas, sevankas, monks, and lay buddhists. His disciple (and the sounding followers) asked The Buddha a question about the nature of life. The Buddha repeated the question in rhetorical form; and then he said nothing. Both sat in silence.

-
    ~I can't remember which sutta I read this from, so it's an adaption from memory. It''s one of my favorite ones as well.

Let me know if you find what sutta it is, I love it! (And I'm generally not a big fan of suttas..)

Carlita

@Shim said:

@Carlita said:

-

Let me know if you find what sutta it is, I love it! (And I'm generally not a big fan of suttas..)

I sure will!

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

A tool, an operating system for the mind, the next best thing to being awake.

Not so prone to anxiety, not so prone to senseless behaviors, less likely to attach to chaotic attitudes - a long list really.

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited July 2016

How I would describe Buddhism...."Breathtaking" (in more ways than one :) )

And what has been its impact on me...I now breathe easy

• techietechie India Veteran

I wouldn't.

edited July 2016

@lobster said:> My name is Lobster ... and I am a Buddhist! :3

The National 'Elf just isn't funding the treatments we need. I have been "under the doctor" for ages because of a mindfulness addiction, but nothing seems to help. :p

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I see it as a process of awakening through being ever more aware.

I pay more attention to everything and try to act accordingly.

Meditation has taken the place of a few distractions. Compassion is more important than personal gain though personal gain is there in compassion itself. I've gotten less prone to anger but not sure if that's the Buddhism or just time.

I see that all I can really own are my actions so I do not shirk responsibility...

Hmm, what else?

I'm sure there's more.

namarupaShoshin