Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism feels the heat

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Wild fires in California have dislodged the well-intentioned into the bargain according to Reuters:

Officials ordered evacuations for the famous Tassajara Zen Mountain Center in Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park and other areas on Sunday afternoon.

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2016

Thanks for this bit of news--I hadn't heard. That's so sad! I used to go hiking up in that area with family as a teen. It's beautiful. .....was beautiful. :(

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It will be again. Mamma Nature has a way of recouping her 'losses'....

Kundo
  • RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

:anguished:

• @federica said:
    It will be again. Mamma Nature has a way of recouping her 'losses'....

True. But with the extended drought California's been having, for years, now, we can't take anything for granted. We'll see what manages to grow back. What's being observed farther south, in New Mexico and Arizona after the wildfires, is that the terrain is changing. Trees, the small desert trees, aren't coming back; it's changing to scrubland and bare desert. California won't be that bad, as the temps are milder, but still, there may be gradual change in store.

• RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

on the east coast we are getting record breaking precepitation. some days it feels like the pacific northwest, which is actually lovely except then i think, well crap... the whole world climate is shifting! CA needs this rain!

herberto
  • @RuddyDuck9 said:
    on the east coast we are getting record breaking precepitation. some days it feels like the pacific northwest, which is actually lovely except then i think, well crap... the whole world climate is shifting! CA needs this rain!

Yeah. Last year, the big El Nino-year downpour dumped on Western WA and Oregon, instead of California, which had been waiting for it in desperation. It was like a typhoon up there, south of Seattle down through central Oregon, I happened to be visiting and driving through it at the time. Bright sunshine while approaching the CA border, through the mts. in southern OR, though. A stubborn high-pressure zone over CA wouldn't budge. In winter, the Bay Area got a little rain, and there was a better snowpack in the Sierras than previous years, but still, the bulk of the rain got deflected north. So frustrating!