Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Insight timer apps social features now free

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran

I bought a new tablet and thought I'd try a different meditation timer, boy has the selection exploded since I last looked, and gave the popular insight timer app another look.

All the social and tracking features are now part of the free portion. You can pay for additional bell sounds now. I also remember some talk about unwanted messages and adds the last time this topic came up. I haven't seen any adds and the default privacy settings only allows messages from friends now.

Also, for the more recent members here, there is a newbuddhist group on the app you can join too.

Vastmindlobster

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2016

Sorry, I am having an attack of technophobia. :p

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 2016

Here is the link, seems a much matured app. Many new guided meditations ...

I will be logging in/participating for a short while before the noise of so many earnest souls becomes too overwhelming and I return to roaming with rhino.

• ShimShim Veteran

Seems like I have to give it an another try.

I've used it before but the passive-aggressive "I'll pray for you" attitude in the groups was a bit too much for me.

But the interface looks better and they have finally categorised the guided meditations!

lobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited August 2016

I've been liking the tracking feature, bar graphs are sexy. But in general I'm not very active on social media so the social aspect is new for me and invites an aspect of comparing my practice with everyone else's. A positive way to view that though would be to invite it as a way to observe my reactions and self involvement.

I'm anxiously awaiting that first milestone star... 2 more days and I'll be a real Buddhist!

lobsterVastmind
  • ^^. I am hoping for a gold star when reaching 'unreal Buddhist' status. Must be time to engage in the various groups they have ... so many meditators ... <3

@person said:... 2 more days and I'll be a real Buddhist!

You will have to tell us what it is like. :p

• :3

This morning I played with the timer.
    The idea was a bell sound at start and end and a 'wooden fish' gong every 15 minutes. Somehow I set it up with 15 minutes of silence followed by a piece of wood, probably my head, struck every minute for 45 minutes. O.o
    I believe this sequence might also be a medieval oriental torture method ... >:)

At first it was distracting/attention enforcing ... mmm ... clack ... but then not a bad tick tock tactic ... B)

DairyLamaperson
    edited August 2016

Careful, those bells will make you deaf! :p

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Eh....?

DairyLamalobster
  • @Shim said:

I've used it before but the passive-aggressive "I'll pray for you" attitude in the groups was a bit too much for me.

People mean well. Many are un-nurtured and are not always able to differentiate between cloying sentimentality and genuine empathy/blessing/compassion/skilful reinforcement ...

But the interface looks better and they have finally categorised the guided meditations!

Yes much improved. I hope to try again some of the guided meditations. Will probably start with the really short ones and work up to the Quasimodo church bell swinging meditation if available ... B)

person
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@person said:
    I'm anxiously awaiting that first milestone star... 2 more days and I'll be a real Buddhist!

Well, I've done it. It felt great to get that star and know that I now qualify as an actual Buddhist.

But really, lots of people will try out meditation for a bit, enough to get one star, and then decide not to continue. People who have 2 stars are really showing just how committed they are. If people there see me with only 1 star they won't be able to distinguish me, The Buddhist!, from those who have quit. When I get 2 stars then people will really know I'm a legit Buddhist...

Vastmindlobster
  • Tee hee. =)

Star based dharma authenticity. mmm ... I'll be getting something or other - two stars I think, then I may go back to just being unschooled, unstarry, de-sanghad and a ronin Buddhist ...

The Insight app is so much better after the new owners made more facilities free.

Maybe I'll offer an unguided meditation ... could be plan ... lobster puts on unthinking cap ...