Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation cushion recommendation/help, please

karastikarasti BreathingMinnesota Moderator

I bought my cushion set quite a few years ago, and really need to replace it. Neither of the covers is washable, and our dog drools on everything. Also, the zabuton in particular is just horribly lumpy and misshapen and uncomfortable. Some spots my ankles are too high, and others they touch the bare floor. The fill in it is just not ideal at all.

I need something (both zafu and zabuton) that has removable, washable covers, and a zabuton that has a more consistent fill. I'd prefer a thicker one, as our sangha location has a stone tile floor. So something maybe 4 inches thick. Any recommendations? Even just preferred materials would be a start. Our sangha leader has a lovely buckwheat one that I love, but he got it in Vietnam, lol.

Disclaimer: I know it isn't necessary, it is just what I prefer. Chairs and the like do not work for me and I prefer to sit on the floor. I like the seiza benches, but I have missing cartilage in my knee and cannot sit in that position because there is too much pressure on my kneecap. So, cushion set it is. I often use it for my normal seating, as it is far better for my back than the couch, and I use it during my writing time as well. So it gets a lot of use and I'd like a good quality one as a result.

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited August 2016

Not sure how much you are prepared to spend....How about something like this

http://www.boondecor.com/

lobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I love the fold up aspect, as I go weekly to our sangha meetings/meditations. I don't have a price point in mind and am able to spend some on a good set. I use it a lot and would like to have it for a while, so it'd be an investment. Thanks for the link! There are SO many options online I didn't know where to start.

• Make your own as a meditation.
    Mine is currently two memory foam pillows with a hard foam kneeler used in gardening, sandwiched in between.

I too am thinking of splashing out, maybe on a giant water bottle, for when tummo fails. perhaps a pile of dharma books (oh I is so zen). How about two sofa cushions? Or that pile of towels in the linen closet? How about going hardcore and sitting on a rug in full lotus? Maybe I'll just go retail ... Amazonian style ...

Decision, decisions ...

Shoshinkarasti
  • I have used the zafu/zabuton sets from DharmCrafts.com. They are long lasting and seem well made. The zafu is available with either kapok or buckwheat fill. I stick with black. Others colors are available.

karasti
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

If you sew at all, @karasti, you could find a store-bought cushion and make (or find) some sort of cover that has material thick enough to withstand dog drool. When I first came to California, I was a flower child who'd been taught to sew by my grandmother, and I made 3 large floor pillows out of remnants of upholstery material I found at K-Mart. The stuffing was put inside a muslin case especially made for each pillow. I put large tassels on each corner and they lasted forever. Just a thought.

karasti
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Kapok covered in heavy-duty cotton has worked well for me.

I hesitate to suggest placing a door between the dog and the cushion. :)

karasti
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

This one is mine... Plain, but functional and not expensive. :)

karasti
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Here's another "link"on function style and comfort of the different types of cushions....

thanks, everyone :)

@silver @lobster I do own a sewing machine, and it should be in my genes somewhere, as my grandparents, and my parents are both crafty at sewing, quilting, etc. Even my dad sews. I, however, ran my Home Ed teacher's finger over with the sewing machine trying to make a pillow in 7th grade. But I suppose it doesn't hurt to try, LOL. Perhaps it would be a good distraction to the first few days my oldest is gone, he leaves tomorrow again for college and those first couple of days are hard. tsk tsk, distracting myself from my feelings :wink:

@genkaku lol, I find that when I store my cushion in the bedroom, it's too out of sight, out of mind. But when I bring it out to the living room where I do meditation and reading, the dog lays on it next to me as soon as I sit down. My yoga mat is equally slobbered on, but I can hose that off at least. I have tried to spot clean it, but it is black and looks worse after "cleaning than before!

• SwaroopSwaroop India Veteran

Mine is a bolster with buckwheat hull filling. Ideal for sitting lotus or astride in the kneeling posture.

karastiShoshinlobster

@Swaroop I love your rug/mat! Does it have a special name? It doesn't bother you not to have more cushioning under your ankles or knees?

• SwaroopSwaroop India Veteran

It's a reed mat. I usually place two yoga mats on top. I love my comfort =)

karastilobster
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@grackle said:
    I have used the zafu/zabuton sets from DharmCrafts.com. They are long lasting and seem well made. The zafu is available with either kapok or buckwheat fill. I stick with black. Others colors are available.

Ditto!

karasti
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

I have used the zafu/zabuton sets from DharmCrafts.com.

I bought a set from them once and they were even kind enough to remove the label at my request.

karastilobster