Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sangha Talk

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I have to give a two minute talk on the following statement based on my personal experience:

“Are the primary consciousnesses (i.e. ear, eye, nose, tongue, body) generated before, after or simultaneously when they come into contact with the objects of knowledge (i.e. sound, visual form, smell, taste, touch)?”

I have my own thoughts at the moment but interested to hear any others.

Comments

• @Bunks said:
    statement based on my personal experience:

my own thoughts

key phrases are the above two

if i say something that will add into your thoughts
    but
    see as follows
    you have your nose and tongue but at the moment you use your eyes to read this post
    so your eye consciousness arising to read words and mind consciousness arising to get the meaning (labels)
    (eye and mind working very fast so we can not catch them if we are not mindful)
    so you can know/see when the primary consciousness generates

that is your experience, not that what your thoughts

Bunks
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I would say simultaneously. Mostly based on one memorable experience I had where I looked out our door and saw a piece of bread falling from the sky. It was the weirdest thing. My eyes registered the bread immediately. But it took a few moments before my brain could comprehend what was happening. I've had that happen in other instances but this one sticks in my mind more. The connection was made between the bread piece and my eyes immediately, and at exactly the same time. My brain about short circuited over it though because it made no sense at first, LOL.

That's what came to mind when I read your question, but perhaps it doesn't really fit into the context you are looking for.

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 2016

rub your ear,
    blink your eye,
    pick your nose,
    poke out your tongue,
    expose your body,

Two minutes is gone and you can depart for the nearest Zendo ... o:)

ShoshinWalkerBunks
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Bunks said:> I have to give a two minute talk on the following statement based on my personal experience:
    “Are the primary consciousnesses (i.e. ear, eye, nose, tongue, body) generated before, after or simultaneously when they come into contact with the objects of knowledge (i.e. sound, visual form, smell, taste, touch)?”

I have my own thoughts at the moment but interested to hear any others.

Touch your arm or leg and check. ;)

Bunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited August 2016

For something a bit more challenging, touch yourself intimately, and see what arises (no pun intended) in the mind. It will likely be a stronger and more complex emotional tangle to unravel, but more likely to be something you can actually discern and dissect.

The sensations vary a lot by subject. Looking at a baby causes a much stronger and more primal reaction than looking at a teacup. Eating a Piri-Piri prawn will produce a different range of sensations and reactions in terms of taste and emotional content than a spoonful of rice. Some of it will be dependent on conditioning, some of it genetic expression, some of it purely sensual.