Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

craving - clinging - becoming

these three make us walk along 'samsara'

if we can know how does this happen in one thought-moment (cittakshana)

then that means we know how Dependent Origination works in our life

so that will helps us to practice Dhamma (get rid of craving - clinging - becoming)
then we will be able to get out of 'samsara' at the end of 'this life'

so what exactly is craving at one thought-moment?
what is your answer to this

jokes also accepted as answers

it is all yours now

Comments

• A traveling salesman trying to make a buck was driving through the plains of Nebraska when he decided to stop at a farmhouse coming up on his left.
    As he was walking up the driveway toward the front door of the house, a pig with three legs caught his eye. It was just hobbling through the grass.
    When the farmer answered the door and asked what he was selling, the salesman first asked about the three legged pig.
    "That pig is the most amazing pig in the land, son." The farmer said
    "Last year, our house caught fire when we were all asleep and that pig ran in and woke us all up one by one and saved our lives!"
    The salesman was surprised. "That is one special pig" He said.
    The Farmer replied, "That's not all. Last summer, that pig jumped into the pond and dragged my drowning son to safety. He would have died."
    The salesman was in disbelief as to how incredible this pig was. "One question. Why does he have 3 legs, is it from the fire?" He asked
    "No son, ya see, a pig like that you just don't eat all at one time."

Walkerupekkapegembara
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited August 2016

@lobster said:
    A traveling salesman trying to make a buck was driving through the plains of Nebraska when he decided to stop at a farmhouse coming up on his left.
    As he was walking up the driveway toward the front door of the house, a pig with three legs caught his eye. It was just hobbling through the grass.
    When the farmer answered the door and asked what he was selling, the salesman first asked about the three legged pig.
    "That pig is the most amazing pig in the land, son." The farmer said
    "Last year, our house caught fire when we were all asleep and that pig ran in and woke us all up one by one and saved our lives!"
    The salesman was surprised. "That is one special pig" He said.
    The Farmer replied, "That's not all. Last summer, that pig jumped into the pond and dragged my drowning son to safety. He would have died."
    The salesman was in disbelief as to how incredible this pig was. "One question. Why does he have 3 legs, is it from the fire?" He asked
    "No son, ya see, a pig like that you just don't eat all at one time."

beautiful

'you' have heard/read the story somewhere and it was in 'your' mind for 'you' to write them down again (so all words written in the post are perceptions comes from 'your' mind)
    and
    they are in 'my' mind now so 'i' can tell the story again in 'my' words (so they are perceptions in 'me')

can we eat one leg of the 'pig' at a time?
    i mean can we just talk about 'craving' in one-thought-moment?

• A "routine" job turns into a nightmare. The moment of truth when the poor fireman realizes that those were "his" nearest and dearest.

Hell is just a thought moment away. Or is it just an eye contact/feeling/perception away.

An auxiliary fireman was shocked to find out that the dead accident victims he was helping to remove from a wrecked car were his father, twin brother and two relatives.

Azlan Mustapha almost collapsed at the scene when he checked the identification card and discovered the horrific truth, and had to be consoled by his colleagues.

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/malaysian-fireman-responds-to-car-crash-finds-family-dead-in-car-accident

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited August 2016

@pegembara said:

Hell is just a thought moment away. Or is it just an eye contact/feeling/perception away.

Dhamma reveals in following two situations

• the dead accident victims he was helping to remove from a wrecked car

• almost collapsed at the scene when he checked the identification card and discovered the horrific truth

don't you think so?

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited August 2016

@upekka said:

so that will helps us to practice Dhamma (get rid of craving - clinging - becoming)

It's possible this is when the mind becomes charmed by its own thought patterns...

And if one becomes familiar with the thought patterns flowing freely through the mind, (that is there is an awareness that thinking is taking place ) there is less likelihood of the mind becoming charmed by them....

( Gom being the Tibetan word for meditation which actually means to "familiarise" )

• namarupanamarupa Veteran
    edited August 2016

Believing that perceptions are permanent, can bring happiness, and are self, can lead to craving for becoming.

upekka
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

It's discussions like these that make me realize how much more I have left to learn. I feel like I am in 1th grade algebra again, :lol::confounded::dizzy: . Thank you for the discussion :)

lobsterfederica
  • @karasti humility is not a false modesty in dharma. It is a recognition that 'beginners mind' is always our condition, enlightened or not.

The three poisonous animals:

craving - clinging - becoming
    http://opcoa.st/0RJrr

become very subtle

For example, we may crave virtue or wisdom, the ability to help sentients, kindness etc. In other words we may cling to being Buddhist, peaceful, helpful.

What if samsara is Nirvana and our need to improve (to have plan) is not required ...
    Ay caramba ... back to start ... again ;)

karasti
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@upekka said:> so what exactly is craving at one thought-moment?

"Ice-cream"! :p

karasti
  • @SpinyNorman said:

for U it seems definitive craving :p

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2016

@upekka said:

@SpinyNorman said:

Paṭicca-sundae-pada is one of the Dairy Lama's favourite teachings. :p

karastiupekka
  • namarupanamarupa Veteran
    edited August 2016

So if the Dairy Lama reatreats to a cave in the Himalayas, would he then be called a frozen yogi? lol :p:)

Shoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

...and how long did you have to work on THAT one - ?!

• Rather quickly

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@upekka said:

Not just wanting things to be different but not being able to accept what is happening.

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited August 2016

@SpinyNorman said:

Paṭicca-sundae-pada is one of the Dairy Lama's favourite teachings. :p

>

U say 'paticca-sundae-pada' and Buddha says 'paticca samuppada'

if both U and Buddha meant the same thing it brings the same results

that's why i thought Ur response (reaction) is Insightful

@David said:

Not just wanting things to be different but not being able to accept what is happening.

don't you think this is 'becoming' after/with 'clinging'?

today morning it struck my mind 'what ever arises' through sense bases is 'craving' (residue or latent tendencies of previous cravings/ effect of previous cause)

actually today morning i could use 'this knowledge' to stop me rushing for break-first

i'll try to practice 'this' and see how far i would be able to 'manage the 'craving' for food' when the thought of food arises

thanks for everyone who responded to this thread and the 'world' thread