Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Greetings Sheeple "Baa Baa"

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

It would seem that we sheeple conform to the norm....
I just watched this interesting social experiment...Baa Baa :)

pegembaraCinorjermarcitkoRuddyDuck9person

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2016

Outstanding post from @pegembara

As we all know, flock Sangha have been shorn. However I take refuge in the three jewels. In other words I belong to the Buddhist 'thus have I herd'.

This very unconscious copy cat behaviour can be utilised by those of us befriending wolves, learning to be unpenned and most importantly _learning kinder behaviour _...

Warning the following video contains unsuitable viewing for sheeple:

Did you break free? Do we promote through mindful, kinder, more insightful behaviour a global sheepdom?

Cinorjerrohit
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Years ago, when I was a Parent Governor, the Head of Governors implemented a Structural Training programme called "Investors in people". It's too long to explain (please see link) but it was basically a team-building exercise. There were 16 of us in total.
    At one point during the course, (not long into it) the instructor approached 2 of us (another Governor and me) and asked us, to come back early after morning break, and sit in different seats.

The result was quite revealing.....

"oh... you're...in my seat...."

"No, I just chose to sit elsewhere...."

"But... you were over there, before....."

"Yes? You go there, now....."

"But....THIS is my seat!"

The instructor watched all the while..... and finally revealed the disadvantages of acting like sheep and not 'thinking outside the box'...

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Mu! :p

Shoshinperson
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited September 2016

It reminds me a bit of Pavlov's dog ....
    And for the Aussie and Kiwi members it's Pavlov's dog not pavlova cake... :wink:

BunksDairyLama

Some sheep are quite rebellious actually....

BunksShoshin
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited September 2016

humans are social beings and it is uncomfortable, and in the time of ancient humans, downright dangerous for the passing on of genes, to go against the flock, because there is safety and security, both mental and physical, in numbers.

Thats why when the Buddha said that this practice goes against the stream, something in me thinks that he knew that simile was true on a number of levels. This practice goes against natural selection of the human being itself, everything that helped humanity survive to this day.

lobsterpersonShoshinSwaroop
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran

Eww. The people who conduct these "experiment"... just... ugh. All in the name of "science" right? Eww.

Shoshin
  • This makes me think of several large circles of friends I've had in the past. We all started out as unique individuals but slowly there was more and more of group-think. Same jokes, same opinions, same behavior. It came to a point that I just quit attending as it had become tiresome.

Sometimes I think if the whole spiritual shebang is not in large part more of the same. Once out of the parental "bubble", do we desperately need an outside agent to provide the parameters for what is good, important etc.? Is that what a large part of religion and philosophy is for?

A friend asked an interesting question the other day: "What would you think if no one else had an opinion?"

lobsterShoshinsilver

@marcitko said:> A friend asked an interesting question the other day: "What would you think if no one else had an opinion?"

That's why it's nice being around Dudeists. :p

marcitko

@Jayantha said:> Thats why when the Buddha said that this practice goes against the stream, something in me thinks that he knew that simile was true on a number of levels. This practice goes against natural selection of the human being itself, everything that helped humanity survive to this day.

Being a Buddhist is still quite unusual in the west, so we have a head start. ;)

• Sometimes people conform out of fear or reaction as opposed to doing so by choice. I don't think that particular experiment proved anything other than reaffirm the basic principle that sentient beings have emotions and feelings.

Shoshinsilver
  • What we need is someone to tell us sheeple how to think ... ?

ShoshinsilverShim
  • Cayotepl love sheeple! Just ask the Donald.
    Baaaaaa!! Sheep dog very good!!

Swaroop
  • SwaroopSwaroop India Veteran

@Jayantha said:
    humans are social beings and it is uncomfortable, and in the time of ancient humans, downright dangerous for the passing on of genes, to go against the flock, because there is safety and security, both mental and physical, in numbers.

Thats why when the Buddha said that this practice goes against the stream, something in me thinks that he knew that simile was true on a number of levels. This practice goes against natural selection of the human being itself, everything that helped humanity survive to this day.

Celibacy is the most extreme form of rebellion against our selfish genes. Its astonishing that the Buddha realized it 2500 years ago.

DairyLama
  • Researchers have, I think, concluded that humans are not herd animals (like sheep), but are pack animals (wolves, apes, etc). There is the tendency to want to be part of the group. As a species, we identify strongly with specific groups. When overdone, it leads to not so good consequences.

To become sheeple, folks must be conditioned into sheeplehood over a long period of time from a very early age. Sheplehood is really an uncomfortable state and leads to growths in supressor occupations such as jailers, priests, false leaders, and sheeple study professions such as Psychiatrists ans psychologists and such.

In their suppressed sheeple state, people are more likely to grab at false promises and straw ladders.

Deepening awareness of self and environment is a valid path out of the state of sheeplehood. Buddhism can be just such a path. Still, we must be alert for false teachers who would lead the unwary right back to the pens of sheepledome.

Peace to all

silverlobster