Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dukkha

I have been practising Buddhism for some time so you would think I know this by now but a question occurred to me. Dukkha is known as unsatisfactoriness or suffering. For example I buy a new car which will begin to fall apart as soon as I drive from the showroom because of Annica. Is dukkha the suffering I feel when such things happen which is created by my own thought/perception about it? So therefore without a mind there is no such thing as dukkha or is dukkha in the actual thing itself? I'm thinking that pain is just pain. The mind tells a story about it and dukkha is then felt. Would this be correct? Thank you.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes, I think so, pretty much. With no attachment, there is no dukkha.
    It's perception.
    Once we come to accept the natural evolution, decay, ageing, passing of every single thing we see and know - dukkha ceases to arise.

As they say, pain may occur, but suffering is optional.
    The Buddha knew pain and physical suffering.
    But he attached no negative mental connection to it.

lobsterBunks
  • namarupanamarupa Veteran
    edited September 2016

Suffering is actually a good description for the word dukkha although some would disagree. I do not think it is meant to be difficult to describe. Generally the word sufferring should suffice I believe.

As far as what causes dukkha and how it originates, that is something that we have to investigate for ourselves. The answers might not be the same because there are different levels of Suffering, but the hint that is given is that the root cause is cravings.

• It is impossible to translate Dukkha into one word but I've found what works for me best is that Dukkha can grammatically be translated as "difficult to bear", so it is everything in life that is difficult to bear. I think this can be understood by most people, wherever they are in their spiritual development.

The Buddha Definition of Dukkha is this =

"Birth is dukkha, aging is dukkha, death is dukkha; sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, & despair are dukkha; association with the unbeloved is dukkha; separation from the loved is dukkha; not getting what is wanted is dukkha. In short, the five clinging-aggregates are dukkha."

You expect that when you buy a car, it wont fall apart, at least so soon. Your expectations were thwarted and that situation fits into three of the situations in the Buddha's definition (seperation from the loved, not getting what one wans, and union with what one dislikes)

Shoshin
  • Very good question and answers. Particularly liked the idea of accepting the inevitability of Dukkha. There is a release in knowing Dukkha happens.

@Zania said:
    I'm thinking that pain is just pain.

Indeed. Still sucks though. No need to add complications as @pegembara illustrated so well ...

The flower, car or life may fade. We can still find vibrancy and joy - increasingly ... for example we can become kinder and that is very real ...

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2016

@lobster said:> Very good question and answers. Particularly liked the idea of accepting the inevitability of Dukkha. There is a release in knowing Dukkha happens.

I think the release comes in understanding why it happens.