Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New Buddhists

Bjack6Bjack6 Manchester New

Hi, I am new to the Buddhists Reggio and I have a question =) What meats can't Theravada eat?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

See here, under 'Alms for Food'.
    Remember this is mainly an instruction to MONKS.

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Also:

One should not consume elephant flesh... horse flesh... dog flesh... snake flesh... lion flesh... tiger flesh... leopard flesh... bear flesh... hyena flesh. Whoever should do so: an offense of wrong doing." — Mv.VI.23.10-15

(Page 48.)

Again, this is a MONASTIC code.

Welcome to the forum. I see you are a fellow Brit! Nice to meet you.

• SpekterSpekter NY New
    edited August 2016

Nice to meet you! @Bjack6 I can't speak specifically for Theravada Buddhism, but I can say that Buddhism for the layman is not as strict as one would expect. Being a Buddhist is more, if not all, about self-discovery and less about "rules." It's why there are no "sins" in Buddhism. Everything has and will have a logical cause and effect. However, many people do find that not consuming certain meats or whatnot is helpful in letting go of attachment and becoming closer to seeing one's true nature. If you wish to be a layman Buddhist, then I would recommend using your own judgement. Like @federica said above, if you wish to become a monk, then there are stricter codes.

Sarwa Maitri,
    Spekter

Bunksperson
  • @federica said:
    Also:

One should not consume elephant flesh... horse flesh... dog flesh... snake flesh... lion flesh... tiger flesh... leopard flesh... bear flesh... hyena flesh. Whoever should do so: an offense of wrong doing." — Mv.VI.23.10-15

Hello.
    Wow! They certainly had some interesting butchers in the Buddhas time. Try and keep off the unicorn and talking dragons too ... :glasses:

Here to help o:)

• newlotusnewlotus Australia Explorer

@federica said:
    Also:

huh i didnt know this......but sounds good to me!
    whats the general view on eating meat though? Because I really cant cut meat out of my diet. We have cut back on our meat. We have 3 days a week meat free. But I have food allergies which means that eating a huge amount of fruit and veg is not an option as I can get sick (yes its true i swear). Meat is the most stable food source for me so cutting that out would mk things tricky.
    Any thoughts?

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@newlotus said:

@federica said:
    Also:

whats the general view on eating meat though? Because I really cant cut meat out of my diet. We have cut back on our meat. We have 3 days a week meat free. But I have food allergies which means that eating a huge amount of fruit and veg is not an option as I can get sick (yes its true i swear). Meat is the most stable food source for me so cutting that out would mk things tricky.
    Any thoughts?

You don't HAVE to cut out meat. Some Buddhists are vegans, some vegetarian, some eat meat.

• @newlotus said:

@federica said:
    Also:

Any thoughts?

It's good to ask where the meat comes from, if the animal was treated as humanely as possible, etc. Here, most meat comes from factory farms where the animals are treated awfully.

personlobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2016

@Deformed said:

@newlotus said:

@federica said:
    Also:

Any thoughts?

It's good to ask where the meat comes from, if the animal was treated as humanely as possible, etc. Here, most meat comes from factory farms where the animals are treated awfully.

Yes, eating mindfully does include an awareness of how the food ended up on our plate.

Shoshin
  • Welcome

lobster
  • @newlotus said:
    Any thoughts?

I am trying to give them up ... :p Far too meaty.

The Dalai Lama eats meat every other day. Being healthy according to our needs avoids dukkha. Moving towards a diet of moonbeams (for high Buddhist adepts) is way beyond my fish eating capacity.

Here is something for the Tantric meat eating, tongue swallowers ...
    http://opcoa.st/PwpsW

@lobster said> The Dalai Lama eats meat every other day.

Who cares? He ain't the bleedin' pope. :p

lobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

HHDL's website states that he eats vegetarian at home in Dharamsala but not necessarily when he travels.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

His autobiography says that he had to go back to meat eating after falling ill in trying to be a strict vegetarian. It just depends on what year you look at, lol. There are also interviews where he does say he eats meat every other day. Others yet say once a week. In any case, I don't think getting hung up on what anyone else eats is the way to figure out what each of us should eat. It's very individual and depends upon a lot of factors, including genetics.

lobstersilver
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

@federica said:
    Also:

(Page 48.)

Again, this is a MONASTIC code.

-So they could eat monkey flesh? "Sheer luxury"

Will_BakerRichdawsonKundoBexM

Ok great, thanks for clearing that up :) Yes we are trying our best to source ethical meats ect.

lobster

@newlotus said:
    Ok great, thanks for clearing that up :) Yes we are trying our best to source ethical meats ect.

aww poor kangaroos.....yeah dont eat kangaroo

Well then you might as well say, don't eat poor cows, lambs, pigs, chickens, ducks, salmon.....

DairyLamapossibilities

"Please don't eat me!"

"Or me!"

possibilities

"Or us!"

edited September 2016

Aw, they are so sweet! I want some! ( not to eat )

• This thread is making me hungry

lobsterDairyLamaKundo
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited September 2016

@newlotus said:
    aww poor kangaroos.....yeah dont eat kangaroo

A friend of mine substituted kangaroo meat in a steak sandwich for me years ago without telling me. It made me quite ill. This was after I had stated quite emphatically that I wouldn't eat my coat of arms :-1:

Poor Skippy
    https://youtu.be/_agtNKbgSfI

Kundolobster

Awaiting OP's return.

This discussion has been closed.