Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Our actions and words

Hello all,

I have a little question but still quite relevant to the practice. Sometimes in order to make a light joke someone greets his/her best friend by saying good moaning (good morning) or sends a text message to his friend to massage (message) his employer.

I just want to know what are your thoughts on this? Is this something we need to pay attention to, being aware to what we speak and do e.g. we should consciously speak what we consciously mean, because it affects our consciousness/mind or is this something not worth considering or not to be taken too seriously since it's just a joke? Thanks.

Shoshin

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2016

This recent thread might be of interest:
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/24230/right-speech

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You are kidding, right?
    I mean, you're taking something as inconsequential and momentary, as an inhibition to progress?
    Really?

Honestly?
    You're over-thinking this.
    If you are joking, and the person you message knows you're joking, I truly don't think the question even needs broaching.

"He who deliberates excessively before taking each step will spend his entire life on one leg."

lobster
  • Excellence is habit.

I learned that phrase years ago and have seen it repeatedly demonstrated. The idea is that the difference between good and excellent involves only a little bit of extra effort. Create in yourself the habit of always doing excellent work. Always put forth the extra effort.

I suspect the phrases you mention are from people who do not have this understanding. They are certainly harmless and inoffensive, not in need of any correction from you. And no attempted correction would be effective anyway. Just observe, take note, smile.

Very observant of you to notice and pick up on this. Right thoughts, right speech.

Shoshin
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran

Our actions and words...... The example you chose unfortunately seems rather inconsequencial..... quite harmless. Let's expand that into racism or sexism..... there are often jokes with mean, hidden agendas. What to do about it in a casual conterxt? I don't know.

Case in point: On FB I saw a meme showing Colin Kaepernick (football player who is refusing to stand for the national anthem because this country is still racist) as the son of Bin Laden. I was appalled. The person who posted it is someone I have "met" in an online forum ca 15 yrs ago, but have not spoken to her in years....

So, what is the point of objecting and chastising if the person is so jaded and obviously off kilter...... ? (She's a Trump supporter. Ugh.)
    In this case I don't see any good coming from an intervention - and I just kept quiet.

Pick your battles.

Right speech could have wrong (unpleasant) consequences..... and be pointless to boot?

lobster
  • Good moaning precious one,

Some say tongue is the only bit of meat worth biting into. Our own of course. Restraint is not constipation. It is knowing when and how to speak. To each according to the capacity of their lotus petal ears ...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_characteristics_of_the_Buddha

Steve_B