Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Recommend any good guided meditation apps/videos?

Preferably ones without music and are around under 25 minute's. Its nice to do a guided every now and then to keep me on track. I really like this one by Sam Harris.

nakazcidShoshin

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

The insight meditation timer app has loads of guided meditations that come with it.

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

A bit off topic, but thanks for that Sam Harris meditation. I had no idea he was doing guided meditations. It was he who first introduced me to Buddhism, so I have a lot to thank him for, even though I'm not really following his path any more.

I am not my thoughts. Good stuff...

Mingle
  • @nakazcid said:
    A bit off topic, but thanks for that Sam Harris meditation. I had no idea he was doing guided meditations. It was he who first introduced me to Buddhism, so I have a lot to thank him for, even though I'm not really following his path any more.

You're welcome friend. I really like that one, really goes into the nature of "the self". I just find it harder to concentrate when I'm doing the same one over and over.

• @nakazcid said:

I am curious. How did he got you into Buddhism?

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

I read one of his early books, The End of Faith, where he really went off on Christianity and Islam, but actually had kind words for Buddhists and their meditation practices. I had been a hard core atheist for at least a decade, and was curious what he had to say. He probably would not be happy that I became a full-blown Buddhist (refuge vows and all) as a result, but I owe him for opening my eyes. That said, I find some of views quite troubling (torture, Islam, etc.) But his thoughts are normally razor sharp and extraordinarily clear.

person
  • MingleMingle Veteran
    edited September 2016

@nakazcid said:
    I read one of his early books, The End of Faith, where he really went off on Christianity and Islam, but actually had kind words for Buddhists and their meditation practices. I had been a hard core atheist for at least a decade, and was curious what he had to say. He probably would not be happy that I became a full-blown Buddhist (refuge vows and all) as a result, but I owe him for opening my eyes. That said, I find some of views quite troubling (torture, Islam, etc.) But his thoughts are normally razor sharp and extraordinarily clear.

You might like the book 10% happier by Dan Harris also then. Took a while to get into it but after a while I couldn't put it down. I loved how wonderfully sane and secular it was. I too was surprised how it was very anti religion yet didn't batter an eyelid at Buddhism. I was a Buddhist before I read it and even more confident in my life choice after.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I quite like the Buddhify app, which is like $3 but let's you pick the time of day or thing you are struggling with. So you can choose "just woke up" or "can't sleep" or "stressed out" or "at work" or whatever and it is a short meditation gauged for that. Then each of those has options within it. So, right now I could select "Being Online" and get options for 4 to 9 minutes. No music, but guided. I generally prefer non-guided as I find it distracting but I like that I can choose what I am trying to work with and get a short guided assistance with it whenever I need.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@nakazcid said:

This from the same person who doubts Buddhist Gurus like Trungpa and Sogyal Rinpoche.
    I'm honestly puzzled.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@federica I thought the exact same thing :confounded: