Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What Does everyone do for a living?

edited May 2006 in General Banter
I am just wondering what everyone on here does to earn a living? I know what Comic does and I know how much he hates it :(, but what does everyone else do?

I work for a software company and I do all of their accounting/finances, advertising, trade show maintenance, etc, etc, etc! I really like my job and the people I work for are wonderful. They let me work part-time so I can be with my daughter and they also let me work from home on some days. They are very good to me. I feel very fortunate to have this job.

Comments

• edited July 2005
    Yogamama,
    I work as an office manager at a car audio shop. I love my job, not only do I do all the accounting, ordering, and handling of just about everything. LOL.. But where else can i work and get to listen to all kinds of music at the same time.
  • edited July 2005
    I'm an Network Engineer for a large insurance organisation. I'm basically responsible for helping make sure that all the different sites can communicate with each other, that any problems get resolved and that the systems are secure against intrusion attacks (hackers, etc).
    I'm also a Reiki Master/Teacher but I'm just trying to build a client base so I'll just have to see how that goes. It would be nice to be able to switch careers in the future.
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I help design distance learning/ virtual labs for entomology courses. I use a lot of flash/php/mysql in what I do.
  • edited July 2005
    I used to work in an ornamental iron shop building and installing wrought iron fences, railings, stairways, and furniture. But now Im a stay at home dad.
  • edited July 2005
    Frizzer wrote:
    I'm also a Reiki Master/Teacher but I'm just trying to build a client base so I'll just have to see how that goes. It would be nice to be able to switch careers in the future.

I have a friend who's dad is a Reiki Master and he loves it. :)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited July 2005
    I own a network and computer maintenance/outsourced IT company, and an online publication. My day to day work involves mostly bookkeeping and computer/network maintenance.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Everyone knows what I do so I will tell everyone what I want to do. I am in the process of setting up a few small businesses. I will be teaching martial arts on my property. I am also working on fish tank cleaning and setup. I am also going to do buying and selling used tanks. Once I fix my truck I will do lawn care and hauling also. Plus my side DVD business which hopefully I can stop when making enough money being that it's illegal. The county I live in has the number one unemployment in the whole United States. It's very hard to get a job. If I get another job I will focus on the fish tank and self defense stuff as a side business. I reall wish I could find a new job. I have applied everywhere.
  • edited July 2005
    I teach English to those that want to learn (and some that don't!)
  • edited July 2005
    I work at a bank as a teller. I help people with their money troubles :) Talk about patience;)
    edited July 2005
    I couldn't work at a bank. It looks like it is so boring and slow all day.
  • edited July 2005
    Thats why I seek to this website ;)
    edited July 2005
    This site is great. I can come here and vent all my work frustrations and everyone is so supportive.
  • edited July 2005
    How neat! Lots of different occupations around here. I have decided that my dream job is to have my own Yoga Studio, so I plan on working towards that once my daughter gets into kindergarten.
    edited July 2005
    I used to be a bank teller. I loved it! It was never slow (although I worked at a busy credit union). Maybe the fact that it was a credit union and not a stodgy corporate bank helped. Everyone seemed liked family. I enjoyed the job a lot and it turned me into a speed demon of a typist :rarr:
  • edited July 2005
    Well, its not a credit union, its just a small town bank. I do love it here though I love the girls I work with, I couldn't have asked for a better group.
  • edited July 2005
    I am a product development manager for a software company that does hospital system integration. Java and XML for you techies. :type:
  • edited July 2005
    Zenlunatic,
    I did self study on aquatic entomology. I found it fascinating.
    I got into it because I am a fly fisherman.
  • edited July 2005
    Hi,
    I was a medical technologist for over 23 yr.s
    I performed all kinds of lab testing in large hospitals, the last being at 'The Detroit Medical Center' Detroit, Michigan.
    I resigned from that occupation and am very close to an Associate Degree in Accounting.
    I work for a small accounting firm now. :wavey:
    edited July 2005
    How bizarre! My wife works in the UHC Lab at DMC! Wow! What a small world :D
  • edited July 2005
    Lots of techies here, cool! My hubby is an uber-techie. I took some tech classes in school, but I've pretty much been a non-computer nerd. I study classical studies (mostly Latin), Spanish, linguistics, and education at my local university. I have a year and a half left, but I think after that I'm going to take a break and explore other interests. I might work part-time if I need to, but I don't want to jump immediately into a career since I realize now that I need to do the kind of exploration I should have been doing all along. On a positive note, I have started a bit. I bought crayons today :) ... as well as other art supplies.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2005
    I try to just live my life as a "living". :)

I do not equate making money with living life, BUT since money is indespensible I of course work wherever employment is available ;) . For the record, I am not a "techie". I am generally what you would call an ordinary working stiff. Viva la "manual labor"!

Currently I work at a bagelry (a place where bagels are made/sold). I open in the morning on some days and I janitor on others. Before that I worked at the Detroit Athletic Club as a busser/waiter, Strategic Protections as a security guard, Value World as a stock person/janitor, Hi-tech Coatings as an unloader of a parts painting machine, Nitro-vac as a heat treater (my favorite job ever!), and Robbins CPR as a payphone builder (the handset part w/ the cord).
  • edited July 2005
    I am a schmucky paper boy that makes 5$ a week. All other times of the week I am sitting on my butt reading Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and other stuff, and playing instruments. Can't wait 'til I am 16.
  • edited July 2005
    i am a teenager that likes to sleep and occassionally party. vacations are the best since i am overweight and lazy. then again everyday is sort of a vacation anyways. cough...cough...knight of buddha shares the same lifestyle just he works out a bit...cough...cough

man i need a car
  • edited July 2005
    i am a teenager that likes to sleep and occassionally party. vacations are the best since i am overweight and lazy. then again everyday is sort of a vacation anyways. cough...cough...knight of buddha shares the same lifestyle just he works out a bit...cough...cough

man i need a car

Oh to be young again ! :(
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited July 2005
    hi,
    i'm an acupuncturist
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I work with intelectually disabled people. I am the queen of patience. I love my job, I get so many moments when I feel just great. But I have to do a lot of really yuck things too.
    Next year I am hoping to attain my diploma in massage and do that from home so I don't have to put my Bridie in day care:)
    Elohim you have a lot of jobs! Do you ever forget where you are meant to be? Man, I would...
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I was a lab tech in the navy for 6 years! Loved working in a microbiology/parasitology lab. Also worked in a lab through college and in a pediatric HIV research lab until I started teaching in 2001.
  • edited July 2005
    Brian,
    That is where I worked, UHC at the DMC 3rd floor
    Virology, Serology, Chemistry. Different shifts over the years.
    E-mail me your wifes name if it is not too personal.
    Jaclynn( formerly Loce) Kowalczyk: JacKowalczyk@aol.com
    edited July 2005
    emmak wrote:
    I work with intelectually disabled people.

So your work with the United States government?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2005
    I forget my name sometimes!

I also forgot a few jobs. I was a valet driver at a topless bar, and I was an employee of Arbors, before the switch to CVS. I think practically everyone I went to high school with worked at Arbors at one point!

I get bored easily. I like to learn new things.
  • edited July 2005
    A soon to graduate Computer Science major...and currently in the process of looking for a career-related job. My future goal is to do Computational Linguistics - but that's until I save enough for graduate school.

For all techies, please PM for career advice =(
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Elohim - TOPLESS BAR? :(
    edited July 2005
    What's wrong with a topless bar?
  • edited July 2005
    Hello Everyone!

Well, since everyone is posting what they do for a living, I will do the same. I am a full-time student that will graduate at the end of the Winter Quarter in 2006. I will have my Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration (emphasis in Management). I also work part-time at an MCL Cafeteria here in Anderson, Indiana. Believe it or not, I just got this job after being unemployed since January of 2003. That is how BAD the job economy is here. I like it at MCL because the clientele is mostly senior citizens and the hours are great---11 am to 8:30 pm Monday through Saturday and 11 am to 6:30 pm on Sunday.

Adiana :) :usflag:

Well, I decided I needed to update my information after I got another job. I am also working for a company that offers DSL support to its customers. I am considered a tier 2 technician and I help customers to be able to access their DSL connection properly. It has its good points and its bad points like any other job. For the most part, people are very courteous and well-mannered but occasionally, there are those customers who can be very rude and demanding and sometimes it is all I can do to maintain my composure and continue to be courteous in return. Luckily, I don't have that many of them. I am also now in my final quarter of college and I will be SO glad to be done with school! LOL!

Adiana
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I've done some pretty strange jobs in my life, although, now, when people ask me, I usually refer to the 35 years that I spent as a counsellor/psychotherapist (often part-time and voluntary).

But the time that stays in my mind as one of the strangely wonderful time was when I was at uni in France, on a small travelling schoilarship. I ran out of money and was confronted with not being able even to get food. I decided to spend my last few francs on a decent meal. There was a little restaurant that I had found, round the back of the pompes funebres (undertakers) where there was a good, cheap, fixed-price menu. Arriving early, having had a drink and waiting for the meal to be ready, I dozed off. When I woke up, I found that the place was full - of blonde women! They turned out to be the local prostitutes who used this restaurant before starting work.

We got talking, as you do, and, with their help, I became a sex worker for the next 6 weeks before coming back to England. It was a real revelation and I thank whatever karma led me to it.

So, now, when I am called "bastard" or "whore", I can say, with pride, that I have papers to prove the first is true, and memories to prove the second, too!
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Oh my god. Are you serious?
    edited July 2005
    Quite serious - although it has been the source of some wonderful laughs over the years! In the 1960s, it was about the only profession one could follow without a permis de sejour and work permit.

At least I didn't have to dye my hair blonde, like the 'girls'.
  • edited July 2005
    Simon, I have to say that is very surprising! That would definitely give you some good stories to tell. :)
  • edited July 2005
    So your work with the United States government?

HAHAHAHA! Now that's funny!
    edited July 2005
    My personal experience made it much easier when I was working with young runaways working in the sex industry in Paris and in London. There are times when we really cannot explain the life to anyone who has not lived it.

At other times, it is just like any other job, especially when you are going to lectures during the day!
  • edited July 2005
    I always like to think about my experiences in my life and think about how I would be a different person if I did not have those experiences. Everything I have done, every job I have had has made me the person I am today, and I probably wouldn't change a thing!
    edited July 2005
    I wish I could go back in time 9 months and just say no to Pizza Hut.
  • edited July 2005
    I write for a living, books mostly and some magazine articles. I write on a variety of subjects, but of late I've concentrated on post traumatic stress syndrome for soldiers and police officers. I also teach martial arts and make training videos and DVDs.
  • NoiNoi
    edited July 2005
    Right now I work at a munufacturing facility as an assembly tech. I wire the large bays that are in hospitals and large coporations. I intend on going to school to become a dental hygienist.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited July 2005
    I'm a student at Juniata College in Pennsylvania (US) studying to become a high school social studies teacher. I have one year left, and then a semester of student teaching. My minor is in Multimedia Technology, which is a useful and fun hobby of mine :)
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I've been away a few days! comicallyinsane you are bi big smart**se! I get comments like that all the time, but mostly it is "Thats why you live with Ross!" (My partner)
    And, yes, Simon I too am a bit shocked. I would NEVER had thought!!
    edited August 2005
    emmak wrote:
    I've been away a few days! comicallyinsane you are bi big smart**se! I get comments like that all the time, but mostly it is "Thats why you live with Ross!" (My partner)
    And, yes, Simon I too am a bit shocked. I would NEVER had thought!!

What did I do?
    edited August 2005
    Carlia, dear sister,

What is so shocking? Prostitution is the only recourse for thousands of men and women in a society that marginalises sex workers but, at the same time, uses them. It's only an exchange of resources, unless, of course, we deify or demonise sexual acts.

In some parts of the world, people get paid for giving blood to blood banks. Elsewhere, money changes hands for kidneys and other scarce transplant organs. And people marry for money - which is legitimised prostitution.

I find this far more shocking than sex work. But I also understand that our society is deeply anti-sex, being, essentially, anti-life. The idea that a person who, today, can be respected or loved can have actions in their past which are uncomfortable could be taken as normal but is seen as not-OK. Politicians have their childhoods and adolescence searched for "sin", "wickedness", "criminality" to discredit them.

Me, I would rather have elected representatives, spiritual leaders, teachers, therapists, etc. who have had a taste of hell rather than some purer-than-pure individual who has never known despair and guilt.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I know, I know. :skeptical I have always been a bit funny about that sort of thing. It is my prudish side....
    edited August 2005
    Makes a good line at parties:

Stranger: "And what do you do?"

Me: "I'm retired."

Stranger: "OK but what did you do?" (this is just so annoying because it reduces us to our job)

Me: "I used to be a rent boy."

Especially good a posh dinner parties.