Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Whilst meditating today ...

Every day a beginner.

That is my experience. So today awareness of breath and chanting OM MANI PEME HUM. Hands on knees. Nothing too difficult.

What happened in your formal practice?

yagrCinorjer

Comments

• It has been a nice and windy day, been spending time outside and just being in the present moment feeling the wind on my face. Living in the now, no thought of anything but the wind on my face.

Bunkslobsterupekka
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Lots of attachment the last few days that have now been let go. Feeling lighter.

lobsterupekka
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2016

@Richdawson said:
    It has been a nice and windy day, been spending time outside and just being in the present moment feeling the wind on my face. Living in the now, no thought of anything but the wind on my face.

Wind on your face is great! I love nature!

Shoshinmmoupekka
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Depending on its provenance, of course....

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2016

... ^^. 'Aversion is strong in this one ... ' - Daft Vedas

... meanwhile for those of us still realting to formal practice:
    Today back on cushion, rather than flat surface. Hands on lap and breathing in and out metta. For some reason I am breathing in and out through the nose, rather than in through nose, out through mouth.
    Very gentle. Nothing extraordinary. Soon I will be on the hard stuff of 'shikantaza' again - just sitting with renewed something or other ...

@lobster said:. For some reason I am breathing in and out through the nose, rather than in through nose, out through mouth.

Does it make any difference? I just breathe naturally, which is generally through the nose in a resting state.

• Yes it does. I find breathing out through the mouth more relaxing. Breathing in and out through the nose is more focussing and concentrating. The differences are subtle.
    One of the reasons I favour mantra is because the in through the nose and out whilst chanting, allows those of us with uptight/unnatural breathing to develop a deeper and healthier breathing pattern. This feeds back into a less agitated and calmer mind ... B)

@lobster said:
    Yes it does. I find breathing out through the mouth more relaxing. Breathing in and out through the nose is more focussing and concentrating. The differences are subtle.

I find the distinction to be one of coarse v. fine.

lobster
  • Today I found myself in Londons biggest maze doing walking meditation ...

A tip: If in a maze always take only a left or only right turn. You will go around the whole maze but will find your way out ...

David
  • Back on a set time with https://insighttimer.com of an hour for a while.

A great app with so many different ways to find stillness, calm, advice, a great timer. Mine is set up for a minute to prepare to sit. Then a chime at beginning, half way and to end.

I am presently spending part of the time 'sky gazing' ...
    http://www.thewayofmeditation.com.au/blog/the-incredible-mind-altering-meditation-of-sky-gazing/

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I've saved the link to read and re-read, because it's actually what I do. I am the seeker of the clear blue sky... and just occasionally, for a fleeting instant, I see it. Then along comes that little wisp of white cloud....

• The clouds are part of the clear sky ...

The eye asana/stance can be very important.

Many people will be familar with some of these:

• Eyes closed. This can lead to mind drift, just gibbering away. It usually requires some focus.
    • Eyes down, eyelids half open, resting on a floor spot. Buddha often depicted this way.
    • Eyes open and staring at a wall. Used in some zen. Disciplined.
    • Eyes open and focussed externally on guru image, tantric deity, element, letter, scroll etc

There are many more, internal visualisation, rolling the eyes up, seeing a chakra focus point, moon gazing, staring at boys (ay caramba gals)
    http://www.deepermeditation.net/blog/moon-gazing-meditation-trataka-technique/
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazar_ila'l-murd

This morning I spent half my practice doing mantra.

upekka
    edited November 2016

@lobster said: - Eyes closed. This can lead to mind drift, just gibbering away. It usually requires some focus.

• Eyes down, eyelids half open, resting on a floor spot. Buddha often depicted this way.
    • Eyes open and staring at a wall. Used in some zen. Disciplined.
    • Eyes open and focussed externally on guru image, tantric deity, element, letter, scroll etc

I used to be in Rigpa, where it is eyes wide open. I did a retreat at Dzogchen Beara in Ireland many moons ago, the main shrine room looks out over the ocean, very cool.

There are different approaches in different schools, I think it is worth experimenting.

lobster
  • @lobster said:

Every day a beginner.

try to make it 'every moment a beginner'
    did that, know it better

lobsterBuddhadragon
  • Quite right @upekka 'every moment' - in other words mindfulness.

• @SpinyNorman said:
    There are different approaches in different schools, I think it is worth experimenting.

Indeed.
    For me presently many of the details are simplifying. I have total confidence in the efficacy and necessity of meditation for understanding and unfolding. I continually return to basics:
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/day/2014/11/06