Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I haz crayons ...

What fun my new pencil for the iPaid [sic] is ...

Here is a wrathful dakini loosely based on vajrayogini, as my first reasonable effort ...

Get out your crayons guys ... Art Dharma. Crayon meditations. Where is your inner artist? Wot fun ...

BunkssilverCinorjerkarastiWalkerIchLiebteyagrFosdickShimVastmindSwaroopBeejmarcitkoDavidrohitKundo

Comments

• Lobster should be in Hi Fructose.
    Or maybe he already is?

Kundo
  • IchLiebteIchLiebte US Veteran

Art therapy is great! That's super cool!
    I have coloured pencils. The crayon's up-tight cousin.

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@lobster has iPad Pro? I haz too, with pencil, but have not yet gotten around to playing very much with it. Must get my skates on... I like your effort!

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 2016

@Kerome said:
    I like your effort!

Thank guys, I was inspired. I used a variety of packages but mostly 'Paint Hack'. My sister who is a trained artist did not believe I had done it. Frankly neither did I ... but I did [lobster puts on beret and starts being arty] ... The main brush I used was neon or glow, hence the radiance ...

"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers." - Picasso
    pah! what did he know ... never thought outside the box :3

... I think the praise has gone to my head...

DairyLamaBeej
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:[lobster puts on beret and starts being arty] ...

lobsterVastmind
  • @lobster this is wonderful! Do you do anything in traditional medium such as acrylic or watercolor? This would be mixed medium I think. Do you think you could reproduce this on a canvas?

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Love it, @lobster! Yours to, @Shim. I enjoy coloring but alas I can hardly draw a stick person without messing it up. Visual arts are not my strong suit, but I still enjoy doodling and coloring around!

I have not yet tried my hand at the likes of this book though
    https://www.amazon.com/Buddhist-Art-Coloring-Book-Enlightened/dp/1611803527

Jeroen
  • As a person who can barely draw stick figures, I'm very impressed with both of you, OP and @Shim. Being able to draw like that seems like serious magic. I don't know how anyone does it.

karasti
  • @Cinorjer said:
    @lobster this is wonderful! Do you do anything in traditional medium such as acrylic or watercolor? This would be mixed medium I think. Do you think you could reproduce this on a canvas?

Thank you.
    It would cost a lot because I have no artistic materials. Maybe some crayons from a Christmas cracker ...

@Dakini said:
    As a person who can barely draw stick figures, I'm very impressed with both of you, OP and @Shim. Being able to draw like that seems like serious magic. I don't know how anyone does it.

Pah! I am only drawing stick figures, then calling on my inner Dakini - here she is

Basically I am using 'method painting' - if there is such a thing. Basically I pretend I am an artist. Then I visualise the part of the object I am drawing and let the Dakini flow ...

Iz plan!

@Kerome said:
    @lobster has iPad Pro? I haz too, with pencil, but have not yet gotten around to playing very much with it. Must get my skates on... I like your effort!

Go for it. If you get stuck take an image and paint over it. Don't be shy and put some time into it. The Dakini image probably took me two hours. Oh gosh, I am give art advice and I can not draw for toffee. Vajrayogini done it. :p

ShimDairyLamasilverkerance
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited August 2016

Working on something now... will return in a few days with some food fer yer eyes.

Vastmind
  • @IchLiebte said:
    Art therapy is great! That's super cool!
    I have coloured pencils. The crayon's up-tight cousin.

Using pencils. <3 Whatever it takes. Drawing a Yidam is an act of alignment. For example you can chant the Medicine Buddhas mantra whilst drawing ..
    Very relaxing practice ...

Then you can put it on your shrine. Wot no shrine, tsk tsk ...

ShimIchLiebte
  • ShimShim Veteran

We should start a Newbuddhist gallery somewhere since so many of us seem to enjoy arts!

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 2016

@TheBeejAbides said:
    Working on something now... will return in a few days with some food fer yer eyes.

... still waiting for the muse? I iz hungering ...

• BeejBeej Human Being Veteran

Had issue. Went to optometrist. Prescribed a 3rd and 4th eye. Waiting patiently for them to be sent to said optometrist. Might arrive by end of this week. Avoiding squinting and struggling and headaching until they do arrive. Will update you accordingly. But fair warning: i'm in no hurry. *winky smiley

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2016

While we are waiting ...
    My garden Buddha ...

Also:
    I sat outside in the shade in a local Churchyard. They had a beautiful bench, like an abstract sculpture. I sent my resulting pic to the online vicar and she was happy.

I will in future more than likely watch an 'anyone can paint' youtube instructional. For now I am just using my 'residual knowledge' from watching my sister, dad and other artists paint.

You now that thing where artists hold up a pencil or paintbrush and to see how a line relates to the vertical or horizontal? I duz that. I also find being bold and working confidently is important for me. My efforts at making heavy use of computer filters in photography has paid off. I filter my paintings, then continue working. Maybe repeating several times. Quite a mish-mash style.

rohitBeejCinorjerkarasti
  • techietechie India Veteran

This is incredible, @lobster . Is it melted crayon work?

• No. That would be a good idea if I find my real crayons. It is a variety of 'brushes' used on my tablet. The last one was a 'rag' brush that I used as an eraser. After all, 'Emptiness is form and form is emptiness'.

• Everything counts ... :)

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2016

@Richdawson your doodle has got me thunking (like thinking but includes more internal thuds) I am going to splash out on or find any painting materials I have. I know I have some tiny crayons from a Christmas cracker.

Meanwhile here is a view from a Kagyu Temple from what I remember. We use these sort of portable puja shrines, with pics of gurus and yidams ...

WalkerCinorjerkerance
  • Watch out world! The Lobster has crayons and isn't afraid to use them!
    {Veeerrryyyy iinnnnttteereessssssttiinggg!} =)

silverVastmindlobster
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I think his guru/yidum looks like Cousin It.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what you're talking about, or how you do it, but it sure looks pretty...!

lobster
  • @federica said:
    I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what you're talking about, or how you do it, but it sure looks pretty...!

Tee Hee.
    Basically I did what @karasti did but on a tablet. The 'healing brush' in the paint program I use is designed to take out unwanted specks by using the surounding pattern/colour. However computers are stupid and the 'healing' can be used to break up an image ... and produce something more intriguing ...

Technology can be used and abused in our compositions ...

• AK! That technology stuff!
    Pure luxury.
    Now where did I put that tablet?

lobster
  • @Richdawson said:

I sometime doodle at work. Does that count?

Well a bit of filter and colour and ...

RichdawsonCinorjer
  • @lobster

That is awesome. I have been feeling a bit of an urge to bust out the ole airbrush and see what I come up with.

Also been feeling a bit of an urge to do some sculpting.

• Sculpting eh? Make your own Buddha? Go for it. If you practice a mantra whilst creating, the results in my experience, become 'shrine ready'. How about an airbrushed sculpting? I like it already. ;)

or how about a modern 'mandala' ...
    here is one I did earlier ...

RichdawsonCinorjersilver
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

That's really very pretty.... A stylised Lotus, almost....

• This on phone or adult colouring book reminds me of the Tibetan sand mandalas. Very precise. It might seem a 'waste of time' or childish BUT experientially it is very comforting and soothing.

Most modern phones allow slideshows of our efforts, thus we can engage with the peace and 'serene colouring mind'.

Get the good colours right into that brain. Who said all colours are good? :3 Yes of course they are ... :).

Cinorjer
  • Fantastic work from everyone!

• I haz found my crayons ... [consider this fair warning] ... and they really did come out of a cracker ... :3 Come on guys ... be shy ... but post your creations anyways ...

... No I did not draw the image ... but I may use it as a guide as the Buddha is my favourite super model.

Vastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2016

OK this is what I did.

Photographed and cropped the crayon image (see above).
    Used my tablet as a 'light table' allowing me to trace the image with a pencil to get an outline and make use of my cracker crayons.
    ... photographed and enhanced the image with filters. Quite pleased with the result ... been a while since using crayons ... :)

Vastmindsilver
  • @lobster what are the basic colours?
    how can one make white and black?

how many different tastes one can have?
    how many different smells one can have?
    are there any difference in touching apart from smooth, rough, cool, warm?

please can U (or anyone) tell me, thanks in advance

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I don't know if I failed to notice it, but what colouring app are you using, @lobster?
    I do everything pretty manual, but I like the possibility of adding some technology to it.

@upekka: black and white are not technically colours.
    They are achromatics: black is the presence of all colours, white is the presence of none.

• ^^. I use painthack with pencil on an Ipad. You can do a google search for mandala template images or similar and fill them in or use a mandala app ...
    Not sure what upekka is on about? Might need an eraser or base? Stay grounded @upekka, otherwise your palette will get mixed into one muddy colour ...

• @lobster said:

Not sure what upekka is on about?

I would like to know the basic colours and what colours we can get mixing basic colours.
    I have seen some relationship between colours and things, shapes and things. If I know much about colours i might be able to have a clear picture.

Might need an eraser or base?

=) already started to erase, hope to come to the base in one of these days

Stay grounded @upekka, otherwise your palette will get mixed into one muddy colour

advice taken with gatitude

@DhammaDragon said:

I do everything pretty manual,

me too, in writing

but I like the possibility of adding some technology to it.

for sure this make it easier, more quick, and can enjoy the work because the end product is instant

@upekka: black and white are not technically colours.
    They are achromatics: black is the presence of all colours, white is the presence of none.

but if you want to draw a picture you use colour black and colour white. If you have only few basic colours then how do you make white and black? that was my question.

• TiddlywindsTiddlywinds UK Veteran
    edited December 2016

technically none of it is colours - it's all pixels.

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

For a minute I thought you meant those bloody 'pixies' are up to their ol' tricks again :wink:

• :hurrah:

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Every Christmas, I am compelled to do a Christian-themed painting for my wife. This is a convenient thing, being cheaper and less vexatious than some of the alternatives. Here is the one for this year, only not exactly - this version has been digitally messed with.

Stripped of dogma, Christianity is after all but a variant form of Buddhism - only don't quote me on that.

lobstersilverJeroen
  • Thanks for sharing @Fosdick
    Beautiful.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

That's lovely, @Fosdick. :star: