Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sigalovada Sutta

NB1100NB1100 Explorer
edited October 2016 in Buddhism Basics

Hi all,

One of the duties of children to their parents is do their parents duty. Does anyone know what exactly is do the parents' duty? Does it mean children have to do and continue their parents' job/business? Thanks.

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hi NB1100. I suspect from your comment we have grown up in different cultures.

Here in the West this idea of children having to do their "parents duty" is largely irrelevant.

I have spoken to my mother about this very thing and we agreed that kids don't owe their parents anything.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It means to be an co-operative child. If a mother asks her son to fetch water, he should do so with a glad and willing heart. If his father asks him to chop some firewood, she should do so with a glad and willing heart.
    Be a good child and do as asked, with a glad and willing heart. Not out of fear, but because it is pleasurable to be a kind and helpful child.

I think that amply covers it.

lobster