Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Five Remembrances

BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe DiemSamsara Veteran

The Five Remembrances -taken from AN 5.57 Upajjhatthana Sutta- have become a subject of contemplation that helps us look at the seeds of our common fears about dukkha straight in the face.

I am of the nature to grow old.
There is no way to escape growing old.

I am of the nature to have ill health.
There is no way to escape ill health.

I am of the nature to die.
There is no way to escape death.

All that is dear to me and everyone I love
are the nature to change.
There is no way to escape
being separated from them.

My actions are my only true belongings.
I cannot escape the consequences of my actions.
My actions are the ground upon which I stand.

I know that I need to do a lot of personal work when it comes to accepting being separated from everyone I love.
I wonder if anyone else has problems facing a specific kind of dukkha.

VastmindSteve_B

Comments

• I wonder if anyone else has problems facing a specific kind of dukkha.

All of them dukkhas. If I made a list we would be here for ever (not the plan) o:)

Embracing our dukkha is not attachment but acknowledgement. In other words, yes I am dying but plan to be alive. Yes I am attached but letting go. I am clinging to my practice but life is practice etc ...

BunksVastmindBuddhadragon
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I am strongly attached to reputation and avoiding criticism.

To the point where I often lie to make myself sound better than I am or to avoid confrontation. I feel like recognising it is a first step.

It is a journey for us all @dhammachick. Good luck on yours......

Buddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@lobster said:
    Embracing our dukkha is not attachment but acknowledgement. In other words, yes I am dying but plan to be alive. Yes I am attached but letting go. I am clinging to my practice but life is practice etc ...

That was extremely beautiful, @lobster <3
    That's what it's all about: acknowledging, practice, letting go, living...

edited November 2016

@Bunks: Looks like @dhammachick and I are so closely intertwined -in style and spirit- that you mistake me for her already ;)

Kundo
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:
    I wonder if anyone else has problems facing a specific kind of dukkha.

I haven't fully come to terms with the fact that I am going to die. I know it intellectually, but somehow it still hasn't fully sunk in. It does help to reflect on it though.

"Now, based on what line of reasoning should one often reflect... that 'I am subject to death, have not gone beyond death'? There are beings who are intoxicated with a [typical] living person's intoxication with life. Because of that intoxication with life, they conduct themselves in a bad way in body... in speech... and in mind. But when they often reflect on that fact, that living person's intoxication with life will either be entirely abandoned or grow weaker... "http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an05/an05.057.than.html

Buddhadragon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I am not in the slightest bit scared of dying. Not one bit.
    Now, the WAY I might die is a bit more of a challenge....

ZenshinKundoBuddhadragon
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

@federica I agree with you 100%

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:
    @Bunks: Looks like @dhammachick and I are so closely intertwined -in style and spirit- that you mistake me for her already ;)

<3<3<3

Buddhadragon
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@dhammachick said:

@DhammaDragon said:

<3<3<3

Ha ha! Silly me....

BuddhadragonKundo

I am not afraid of dying -nor the way I might die- except inasmuch how much the dissolution of my skandhas will affect my beloved beings.
    And I know I am enough attached to my beloved beings as to need to work on my acceptance of their passing away...

• As we live, so we die.

This is a little motto that serves me well. Am i living in a way that will make dying a good thing ?

Buddhadragon