Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Another big Quake Hits The Shaky Isles 7.5

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

I was woken around 1.30am by a call from my son who lives in the UK...He wanted to know if I was alright, he said that there was a series of quakes in both the North and South islands, the biggest 7.5 hit Hanmer Springs not far from Christchurch..He said that there were tsunami warning for most coastal areas...I didn't feel anything, but people in many parts of the North Island felt them... After speaking with him I rang my daughter who lives in Wellington, her,her partner and their flatmates were all ready to leave with their emergency bags...She said they were all violently shaken awake just after 12 midnight...
There's been widespread damage reported and sadly it looks like 2 people are confirmed dead in Kaikoura, a beautiful tourist spot in the South Island where people go whale watching....
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/86417110/75-magnitude-earthquake-what-you-need-to-know

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I was wondering if you were ok, @Shosin. Glad to hear from you. Do we have others to be concerned for? I know in the past we have, but not aware of anyone currently. I hope the death toll does not rise, though seeing some of the pictures it seems unlikely :( So soon after the last one, not even enough time to recover. I'm glad your family is ok.

ShoshinBuddhadragon
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited November 2016

@karasti said:
    I was wondering if you were ok, @Shosin. Glad to hear from you. Do we have others to be concerned for? I know in the past we have, but not aware of anyone currently. I hope the death toll does not rise, though seeing some of the pictures it seems unlikely :( So soon after the last one, not even enough time to recover. I'm glad your family is ok.

Thanks @karasti ...My daughter's got the day off work, she works in Wellington CBD, the CBD is closed as they check all the offices and other buildings for damage...

I have a friends in the South Island, I don't think there was any reported damage where she lives...

If it wasn't for my son's call I wouldn't have known, I don't have a TV or listen to the radio, I normally just check the news link during the day...

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Just saw a link on the main Bing website and was hoping you were OK, @Shoshin Glad to hear that's the case.

Hopefully the damage will be at a minimum, and injury and death tolls don't rise much.

lobsterShoshin
  • Nature. Wow.

Glad you are OK. <3

ShoshinBuddhadragon

There's still a tsunami warning to certain coastal areas on the East coast...

Many locals in Christchurch are still recovering 'mentally' from the last big one, the local mental health professionals are run off their feet, and this no doubt will push some over the edge...

After the last big one in ChCh, the island had an influx of refugees from the ChCh area...I expect many will be heading our way again soon...

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I can't contact a friend of mine in Christchurch yet but I'm sure he's ok.

I was up half the night checking on my family as well -they're ok.

Hope your family are ok too.

_ /\ _

Shoshin

Some service providers like Spark & Vodafone are overloaded, so communication is difficult for some...I hope your friends & family are safe too @dhammachick

edited November 2016

Here's the "GeoNet" link that monitors the local quakes and their intensity... The so-called aftershocks are what put many on edge....

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Thinking of you and those dear to you, and all those involved in this situation.
    Much Metta.

Shoshin

Thanks @federica @Walker @lobster @dhammachick ....

Kaikoura and Waiau has been cut off by road and the damage there is major, many roads and bridges have been damaged, some blocked by slips ...

Another "link"

An interesting thing is there's a Supermoon happening which causes strong winds and tides...There was also strange lights over Wellington during the quake...

I'm just off to work...I'll keep you up dated when I can...

Metta <3

federicaKundoBuddhadragon
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Much metta to you @Shoshin, hope you have a good day despite Mother Nature's big burp!

Shoshin
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I'm on a gratitude chat on whatsapp, and one of our members is from New Zealand.
    He posted "Earthquake!!" the moment the Earth began to.... well, quake.
    He wrote to us from under the table, where he was hiding with his cat.
    He did have a good fright and could only sleep a bit this evening.
    Big, big hug, @Shoshin

Namaste @Shoshin

Word is you guys copped another 6.2 quake in Wellington. How are things over there?

_ /\ _

@dhammachick said:
    Namaste @Shoshin

Word is you guys copped another 6.2 quake in Wellington. How are things over there?

_ /\ _

There have been so many aftershocks and some quite big... But I contacted my daughter this morning and she had the all clear to go back to work in the city centre, so she's back at work today...And from what I gather she managed to get some sleep last night...

Where I live we are fortunate not to have felt any tremors and life goes on as usual....
    But people elsewhere are copping it, and for some their nerves must be shattered, not knowing if the tremors they first felt will go on to become a major quake...My heart goes out to them... <3

KundoVastmindJeroenDavid
  • @DhammaDragon said:
    He wrote to us from under the table, where he was hiding with his cat.

That is my default location whenever the earth moves or the first sign of a Dr Who monster ... :3

Some are under the table due to Trumpquake. Be brave, fear is no comfort ... (thus have I heard).

Thanks for remaning safe @Shoshin <3

KundoShoshin
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited November 2016

This is my dad inspecting quake damage on the Kaikoura coast. The police let them past the roadblocks because he was on some official business and was driving a tough 4WD truck.
    His house was not damaged, but my step-mother's Buddha statue fell and smashed, along with all the other delicate things on shelves.

• What's the news from Aoteatoa, OP? Was there much damage? Casualties?

They say that as global warming proceeds, there will be more earthquakes, due to changes in pressure on the Earth's crust. As ice sheets melt, the distribution of weight around the planet will shift; Greenland and part of Antarctica will rebound as they shed weight, while more liquid water weight distributed around the oceans could cause some readjustment in the mantle as well.

Jeroen
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Dakini - collective karma at work ;)

Wow @BhanteLucky when seeing the destructive force of the quake, it's hard to wrap ones mind around... It's surreal ....

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

That's gonna be more than a 10-minute job patchin' up potholes....Wow. Just goes to show, we build 'em but Mother Nature she don't care!
    "This building can withstand an earthquake!" Oh, really....?!

@federica said:
    "This building can withstand an earthquake!" Oh, really....?!

Challenge accepted - Mother Nature

federicalobster

The biggest aftershock is the cost of repairs, expected to be in the "billions"

edited November 2016

And the bigoted 'pseudo' religious nut jobs always come out of the woodwork when natural disasters strike...

"Gays cause earthquakes" from the mouth of 'self' appointed bishop of destiny church NZ...AKA The bishop of "bling" because of his fetish for wearing designer clothes and jewellery....

Sadly we in NZ also have our own nutjobs to contend with ...We are not immune....

• San news. Putz to the nut jobs.
    Take care - Stay safe.
    A tarnished silver lining to that very dark cloud is that employment opportunities in the construction industry will skyrocket.

Peace to you

Peace to all

Shoshin

@Lionduck said:
    San news. Putz to the nut jobs.
    Take care - Stay safe.
    A tarnished silver lining to that very dark cloud is that employment opportunities in the construction industry will skyrocket.

Peace to you

Peace to all

Thanks @Lionduck that's so true....

This is precisely what happened and is still happening in Christchurch....Our government started 'paying' unemployed people to move to Chch, I think it was around $5,000 each to set themselves up...

Yin & Yang "Can't have one without the other"

Another major quake has just hit Japan tsunami warning for coastal areas of Japan...It's has a Déjà vu feel to it, ie, the 2011 Christchurch quake then Fukushima....

And another one has hit you guys near Palmerston North if Sky Australia reports are accurate :surprised:

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

some were speculating they (in either NZ or JP) could be precursor quakes. I sure hope not. On a scientific level it is interesting how often they see to cluster even when they are far away. I am glad that the JP quake was not as bad as 6 years ago and that the result was not so frightening.

Yes it is fortunate that the Japanese quake didn't cause much damage or lost of life, but the big aftershocks (some bigger that the actual quake itself) will continue to rattle the nerves of many... The aftershocks in both countries, will continue on for months on end... The Japanese are known for their stoic nature, but no doubt even their stoicism is fading somewhat under the seismic pressure being forced upon them...

edited November 2016

What the 7.8 quake left in its wake....Mother Nature is very creative....

"Drone footage reveals quake-made canyon"

silver