Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A New Bird In Town

Some of you may recall that about 18 months ago my Red Lored Amazon parrot companion of 37 years died. The day before Thanksgiving a new companion arrived. He/she is a Blue Crowned Conure. We are in the process of getting to know each other. Unlike the amazon who was wild caught this little lovely was bred in Florida and is used to people. Still quite young and recently weaned. There are some nice thumbnail photos on line. Have yet to choose a name.

ZenshinlobsterCinorjerShoshinWalkerBunksupekkasilverBuddhadragon

Comments

• How wonderful. Look forward to naming and any pics. How exciting. <3

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

A Blue Crowned Conure, for those who would like a preview....Not @grackle's new companion, but of the same breed.

Parrots are highly intelligent, social, and amusing companions, so I'm sure the relationship will be both rewarding and eventful!

upekkalobster
  • I love parrots and cockatoos - reminds me of home.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited November 2016

@grackle said:
    Some of you may recall that about 18 months ago my Red Lored Amazon parrot companion of 37 years died. The day before Thanksgiving a new companion arrived. He/she is a Blue Crowned Conure. We are in the process of getting to know each other. Unlike the amazon who was wild caught this little lovely was bred in Florida and is used to people. Still quite young and recently weaned. There are some nice thumbnail photos on line. Have yet to choose a name.

"Polly" the Parakeet ??? :wink::)

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited November 2016

don't U see that we all are parrots?
    who do not want to die?

have F for Buddha's Teaching
    make E to see Dhamma
    have M for to see Dhamma
    then U get 'C' and 'P'

F, E, M, C, and P are 5 faculties

culminating 5 faculties (up to the brim)
    U too can see how and why parrots die

=)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

As the parrot is captive-bred it seems a much kinder act to keep him and give him a good home, rather than release it. Releasing animals into the wild is not a good idea, and no good comes of meddling and interfering, no matter how well-intentioned the release.

Fosdick
  • The bird is here to stay. Seems to be accepting of his cage. As well as a somewhat different routine from what he knew at the breeder. This is only his second day with me.

lobster
  • Thanks for keeping us informed. Will you be teaching him/her mantra? Bodhi parrot ... could be plan ... ;)

Kundo
  • Well I have thought of calling him/her Master Parrot in which I would be the student learning the mantra.

lobstersilver
  • Awesome.
    Of course. Master, Rinpoche (precious jewel), Guru Parrot. Incredible. Good luck with your studies B)

• @lobster said:
    Awesome.
    Of course. Master, Rinpoche (precious jewel), Guru Parrot. Incredible. Good luck with your studies B)

How about: Bodhisattva or bodhisatva (apparently the former is when you're enlightened, the latter is when you're a warrior).

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited November 2016

according 'teravada' bodhisatta/bodhisatva is one who strives for Buddhahood

sumeda the bodhisatva could have become an Arahat at the time he met Deepankara Buddha

his wisdom was nearly culminated enough to become an Arahat

but he gave up that opportunity in order to become a Buddha one day
    so until the day that he become Buddha under the bodhi tree at buddhagaya he was a bodhisatva/bodhisatta

Not everything revolves around Theravada, @upekka .... ;)

upekka
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@grackle said:
    Well I have thought of calling him/her Master Parrot in which I would be the student learning the mantra.

Roshi has a nice ring to it for a parrot.

lobsterShoshin
  • Yes. Roshi has a nice ring to it.

• The bird finally has a name. He seems to enjoy best of all being called Bodhi. He is a beautiful companion. Enjoys being handled. Parrots like to hang out with their humans and Bodhi is no exception. I feel greatly blessed.

lobsterJeroenShoshin
  • @federica said:
    Not everything revolves around Theravada, @upekka .... ;)

One day, yoU will see IT does

Everything revolves around Buddhism. But Theravada does not have exclusivity.

upekkaKundo
  • @federica said:
    Everything revolves around Buddhism. But Theravada does not have exclusivity.

according to my understanding, Buddhism, Theravada, Mahayana, Hinduism, Muslim, Christine etc. are just words

and

Everything revolves around words

You don't get out much, do you...?

Kundo
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

Got any pics yet @grackle I would really like to see some of your birdy friend.

• @federica said:
    A Blue Crowned Conure, for those who would like a preview....Not @grackle's new companion, but of the same breed.

Parrots are highly intelligent, social, and amusing companions, so I'm sure the relationship will be both rewarding and eventful!

Do these species still require a mirror for "company" lol?

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

My grandfather used to keep birds, he had a big cage at the back of his garden. No parrots though, and I was too little to remember the names of the bird species he kept. Nothing simple, anyway.