Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mindfulness in a repetitive job not really working

I wonder if the idealism of buddhism can deal with 800 repeated tasks, daily, 5 times a week, and with some physical pains.

Comments

• @thumbs07 said:
    I wonder if the idealism of buddhism can deal with 800 repeated tasks, daily, 5 times a week, and with some physical pains.

If I've understood what you're pondering, are you in a rubbish job and hoping that being mindful will somehow blot out the horribleness of it?

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

anything can be done in mindfulness, even blinking or wiping your behind! With mindfulness, sometimes you will find that your pain isn't what you thought it was. And sometimes you find your pain is needing attention and you ignored it for too long by working mindlessly.

Just because it can be done, however, doesn't mean it's easy to do.

• If you could take someone from 2500 years ago and teleport them to today, I think they'd be amazed at how civilization has evolved, and what kinds of jobs people do. "Repetitive job" is relative, and Buddhists have been dealing with them for thousands of years, haven't they?

• @thumbs07 said:

Not without practice. Idealism not much use on its own. Can you be more specific? What are you trying to do? Are you in danger of injury? Pain is usually a physical warning.

• two thoughts come to mind: the first is the Zen saying: Before Enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment: chop wood, carry water.

the second is also from the school of Zen (they are so succinct): rub on, rub off, repeat.

what i learned about repetition is that learning never ceases, only the desire to learn can be changed. i did not know this for many years, until sufficient repetitions of the same worthless task became Insight.

may you have Insight and the causes of Insight!

upekkalobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Gus123 said:
    two thoughts come to mind: the first is the Zen saying: Before Enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment: chop wood, carry water.

the second is also from the school of Zen (they are so succinct): rub on, rub off, repeat.

(That's actually from the original 'Karate Kid' movie, where Mr Miyagi gets Daniel to polish the cars...

Mr. Miyagi: First, wash all car. Then wax. Wax on...
    Daniel: Hey, why do I have to...?
    Mr. Miyagi: Ah ah! Remember deal! No questions!
    Daniel: Yeah, but...
    Mr. Miyagi: Hai! [makes circular gestures with each hand] Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out of mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important. [walks away, still making circular motions with hands] Wax on... wax off. Wax on... wax off.
    Daniel: Hey where do these old cars come from?
    Mr. Miyagi: Detroit.

• i stand corrected, but unabashed

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Glad to hear it. I wanted to correct you, but never abash you....

lobster
  • @Gus123 said:
    two thoughts come to mind: the first is the Zen saying: Before Enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment: chop wood, carry water.

what i learned about repetition is that learning never ceases, only the desire to learn can be changed. i did not know this for many years, until sufficient repetitions of the same worthless task became Insight.

may you have Insight and the causes of Insight!

all in all, it says practice First of Four Mindful practice

'athapi, sathima, sampajano kaye kayanupassai viharathi vineyya loke abijja domanassam'

if one is with in and out breath there is no greed or hate (before Enlightenment/gaining Insight/ wisdom/ panna)

in some point one would get Enlightenment/Insight/Wisdom

then there is no greed and hate

but

what there is to do again also is' engage in and out breathing' with mindfulness