Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Spice grinder

Does anyone use a grinder for whole spices, and if so, do you 'clean' it afterwards with rice?

upekka

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I've never heard of that but it sounds like a really good way to clean the spice grinder (and even a coffee grinder - which is what I've sometimes used for spices).

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I use a coffee grinder. To clean it, I use an artist's soft paintbrush.... I wash the lid, and if necessary, use a slightly damp cloth to wipe out the 'bowl', but usually, brushing it out, is enough....

• @Tiddlywinds said:
    Does anyone use a grinder for whole spices, and if so, do you 'clean' it afterwards with rice?

Ur Guess is Crct

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I just use a mortar and pestle because I enjoy the process. Sometimes I rinse it, sometimes I don't, depends what I used it for. I don't want my chai to taste like garlic.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Tiddlywinds said:

I read cleaning it out with a lump of white bread (no crusts) is quite effective, too.... put bread in, whizz for 10 seconds, discard shredded bread.

upekkasilver
  • Thanks everyone. That's great!

• Spice Grinder? I have been misled. Thought this thread was about internet dating for lesbian spice gals ... :3

... whilst I am here, buy small amounts (jars) of ready ground medicinal/deliciousness. Not too many. Replace regularly.

eg.

• turmeric
    • paprika
    • ginger
    • cinnamon

Sometimes buy fresh chilli peppers, ginger.
    Always eat onions and garlic (lay people allowed, monks not).

Grinders too noisy for my tastes ...
    https://experiencelife.com/article/5-healing-spices/

I try whenever possible to buy fresh turmeric (it looks a little like miniature yellow ginger) and always use fresh ginger except if it's a spice required in baking....Obtaining fresh ginger, is easy-peasy. Obtaining turmeric root.... well.....