Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Off to a great start...

nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

So I get a knock on the door this morning. It's the guy from the gas company, here to disconnect me. However, if I can make a payment I can avoid getting disconnection. So I go check my balance, and find that some fraudster on the other side of the country has drained my bank account dry. Gotta love samsara.

upekka

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Ouch!

upekka
  • @nakazcid Yikes. Doesn't sound good.

I had an experience when I moved to the UK 3 years ago where the gas company tried to withdraw £2513 from my bank account each month because someone had made a typo. It made me decide to check my bank accounts morning and evening. A bit over the top, I know, but the number of times that's come in handy....

Good luck! I hope you get your money back and the gas on.

upekka
  • Life does get interesting.
    Good luck with the gas company and your bank.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Oh that stinks :( I hope you find a resolution soon. Make sure to look into emergency help for disconnections if it might apply to you.

I wish banks had immediate alerts like credit cards. It seems like there is no reason not to. My credit card I can set about any alert I want so I get a text if there is an online charge, a charge above a certain amount, a charge from a location other than my home area, etc. We should be able to get them with the same settings for bank transactions, too. I had my account drained a few years ago, too, on my son's birthday. I spent the day filling out police reports and bank paperwork, but on the plus side my bank gave me the money back within 24 hours on a conditional basis while they investigated. Some banks you have to wait weeks until they are done. Seems there should be better ways.

• ZeroZero Veteran
    edited December 2016

That's horrendous - your bank should refund any withdrawals if it is fraud on your account - hope I turns out well

• Good luck in samsara too. Hope that comes too ... :)

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

Well I called the bank and they disabled my debit card. Apparently the crook had withdrawn the money from an ATM in California. Originally he had tried to take much more out, but I thwarted him 'cause I'm poor like that. And thankfully he didn't try to make the withdrawal on payday.

And a couple of hours later I got an automated call telling me that suspicious activity had been detected on my account. My credit union is really on the ball, I tell you.

Anyway, I'll have to go down to the bank tomorrow and fill out some paperwork to get my money back. Not sure if it's a 24 hour turn around or not. In the meantime, I dug an electric space heater out of storage, and my fiancee gets paid Friday. There's food in the house too, and we still have electric service. So we'll pull through. It would be nice if the drama stopped for a while though.

lobsterkarasti
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

This stinks. I have to say, my particular bank is hot on the ball here. Someone tried the same with me. Fortunately, I am in a similar impoverished state, so the would-be opportunist didn't get as much as he hoped he would - but the Bank alerted ME to the issue, reimbursed me automatically AND gave me an extra little wodge as compensation, as a goodwill gesture.

• Glad to hear you are pulling through. Our gas boiler is leaking, so called out the engineers to fix Guru Central Tummo. Maintaining all these Gurus and Precious Jewels (Thieving bankable Rinpoches) sure is hard for the aspiring daka and dakini ...

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@nakazcid said:
    Well I called the bank and they disabled my debit card. Apparently the crook had withdrawn the money from an ATM in California. Originally he had tried to take much more out, but I thwarted him 'cause I'm poor like that. And thankfully he didn't try to make the withdrawal on payday.

And a couple of hours later I got an automated call telling me that suspicious activity had been detected on my account. My credit union is really on the ball, I tell you.

Anyway, I'll have to go down to the bank tomorrow and fill out some paperwork to get my money back. Not sure if it's a 24 hour turn around or not. In the meantime, I dug an electric space heater out of storage, and my fiancee gets paid Friday. There's food in the house too, and we still have electric service. So we'll pull through. It would be nice if the drama stopped for a while though.

Good to hear they spotted it. Did you find out how the crook hacked into your account?

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

If he withdrew money at an atm, then most likely the information was stolen from somewhere that stores credit card information (or a skimmer set up at a gas station) and they simply made a new card and used it. They (new cards and just the information) can be easily purchaed on the dark web. Even though it's easier, make sure you never choose to allow websites to store your payment profiles. It's a pain to have to enter them all the time but more of a pain to have to deal with information being stolen. It won't solve everything but it helps.

It is one way a chip card does help (though they don't solve most theft problems) but ATMs don't recognize chips like sales terminals, unfortunately. But, ATMs have cameras so make sure you file a police report and see if you can follow up and keep them on task. In my case, it was a college student who used his real name and address to have his textbooks shipped to him at home.

Tiddlywinds
  • @karasti

In my case, it was a college student who used his real name and address to have his textbooks shipped to him at home.

But not an A-grader!

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@nakazcid

As upsetting as it is at the moment ...Keep in mind, it's just another karmic pattern to work through...

Accept what's happened, don't beat your self up over the shouldas couldas wouldas
    just do what you 'can' to work through this unfortunate sequence of events, and keep a wholesome frame of mind (well as best as you can under the circumstances)...

Remember The Past shapes the Present and this Present shapes the Future

May it all work out well in the end...

Metta <3