Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Brown rice in the UK

In Australia the brown rice is really fresh and delicious. It takes 25 mins to cook but I'm happy with that because the flavour and texture are so good. Here in the UK I can't seem to find any good brown rice. It's chalky now matter if I undercook it or overcook it. Makes me wonder if it's a bit old.

Has anyone had any luck buying brown rice in the UK where the grains are not chalky?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Try M&S rice, she suggested, without trying to sound biased....

• I have recently been buying Sainburies 20 min cook, basmati brown rice - beware of the packaging, which does seems determined to spill rice by splitting. They also do a 25 min version, not personally interested in longer cooking.

Tara1978
  • TiddlywindsTiddlywinds UK Veteran
    edited December 2016

@lobster @federica Will try both. I bought Waitrose non-basmati so will try both of those. Thanks for the suggestions.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Here in Holland the best place to buy rice is health food stores, they often have 10-20 different varieties. My favourite is Demeter's biodynamic long grain rice, which is farmed using Anthroposophical biodynamic farming techniques. It's kind of Organic-plus.

The thing to watch out for is arsenic and cadmium in rice, it seems to have a propensity to absorb these heavy metals from the soil.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/18/the-trouble-with-rice/

• Tara1978Tara1978 UK Veteran

@lobster said:
    I have recently been buying Sainburies 20 min cook, basmati brown rice - beware of the packaging, which does seems determined to spill rice by splitting. They also do a 25 min version, not personally interested in longer cooking.

How fortuitous your advice is - I brought a bag of this yesterday after avoiding brown rice for years because of cooking time and texture. Basmati is my fave, so hoping for good results, I feel a chick pea biryanis coming on!

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2016

... ^^. Yum
    Had rice and dhal for supper. Chick pea - mmm ... [engage drooling] Health food stores in UK have the best selection. Not sure how prices compare. Ask them for red rice (yep it exists) and they get confused ...
    Personally I too like brown basmati.

• I've never heard of brown rice that cooks in only 20-25 minutes! As far as I know, the brown rice varieties in the US take 45 minutes.

My favorite variety is a red rice from Bhutan or Nepal. It's native to the Himalayas. I imagine it has more vitamins, because of the darker color, compared to pale brown rice. Check health food stores and specialty shops for it.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Dakini said:
    I've never heard of brown rice that cooks in only 20-25 minutes! As far as I know, the brown rice varieties in the US take 45 minutes.

I use an organic brown basmati rice from Germany (Alnatura brand, Indian origin), that cooks in exactly 30 minutes.
    The package states 35 minutes, but it's perfect at 30 minutes.
    I put it in the pan with the double amount water, a pinch of salt, cover it, and don't touch it again till the 30 minutes are up.
    It is simply perfect.
    Best brown rice I have ever tried.