Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do you define spirituality?

Know one really knows exactly what it is. How do we know growth is even possible? Does it require faith?

Comments

• @federica said:
    Faith and spirituality are not mutually exclusive. One can be spiritual without necessarily adhering steadfastly to Faith....

You know that growth is possible when you don't look at how long you have to go, but you see how far you've come.

I must say I don't look at it that way, I see it as a progress. Something that grows stronger day by day.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

yes. If you read the comment carefully, that's actually what I'm saying....

• @federica said:
    yes. If you read the comment carefully, that's actually what I'm saying....

Ah But I mean it in the sense that I am always chasing tomorrow.

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

Chase after anything and you begin to suffer. Easier said than done though.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I see it more like @federica described. It prefer to look at where I was and see where I am now. That is progress. I assume I will keep progressing but I don't put any focus on what I want tomorrow to bring. I just keep living. Progress comes on it's own with consistent application of life lessons through the Dharma.

I think it'll be pretty hard to nail down what "spiritual" is because it's so intimately personal. I guess I would describe it as including Buddhism, but definitely not Buddhism by itself (in my life, I mean). It includes all of my beliefs about where I've come from, where I am, and where I might go tomorrow or after my death. It is the basis from which I act in the world. It is all of who I am, not just part of me. It is a deeper connection with the part of me that I can sense but not touch. But yet I can reside in it at least for brief periods.

Cinorjer
  • @Cinorjer 'live a good life'.

Ay caramba! De plan iz so simple!

I'll join.

Great insight from Sioux/@DhammaDragon
    In a sense the lesser hells are dukkha reinforcing religious ideals. For example terrorist Islam for peace. Jesus saves but could not save himself [oops - some still excusing that mysterious failure]. Buddhist exclusion from the world.

... and back to the good life ...

CinorjerZenshinBuddhadragon
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    edited December 2016

Thanks for the insightful post at @DhammaDragon, I've been picnicing in my own personal hell realm tonight with a schizophrenic bout of irrational fear. I took the fear as the object of meditation but it was hard to not desire for it to pass. I read your post and was struck by the rememberance that its our job to be with life at is and not as we want it. Just meditated for half an hour and all that kept crossing my mind was that I'm an energy flow with no owner behind it and the fear is gone. So thanks again @Dhammadragon (along with Ajahn Chah and Dogen). They ought to prescribe you on the NHS!

CinorjerlobsterBuddhadragon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Lonely_Traveller said:
    Thanks for the insightful post at @DhammaDragon, ......They ought to prescribe you on the NHS!

She's too powerful a drug. Most people couldn't take her strength.
    Dilution might be necessary but they'd lose the potent essence, and be short-changed....

;)

BuddhadragonZenshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

The dictionary definition certainly isn't much help, the word 'spirituality' has a bit of a chequered history including early 20th century seances and magicians, the likes of Madame Blavatsky, the New Age, as well as the mystical fringes of religion. Most people seem to hold it as having to do with belief in the human spirit and life after death. Growth doesn't always come into it.

I think for all of those who have felt 'the call', the sudden urge to move onto the spiritual path and better our lives, the growth element is key. We don't have proof it is possible, but we feel it deep in our bones and it is what motivates us to keep looking on the path. Eventually it takes you beyond sila and on to meditation and no-mind.

BuddhadragonCinorjerZenshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2016

@Lonely_Traveller said:
    Just meditated for half an hour and all that kept crossing my mind was that I'm an energy flow with no owner behind it and the fear is gone.

[lobster faints] Awesome. Very impressive. Very inspiring. <3

I did this once with irrational fear. Trying to find its essential arising. It was in my case caused by dehydration. In other words body based. Fear and anxiety are hardcore demons.

If we are able to sit and overcome/dissolve such an adversary, our practice is working. Bravo.
    http://www.dharmadownload.net/pages/english/Natsok/0014_Leksheyling_teaching/leksheyling_teachings_0012.htm

BuddhadragonkarastiZenshin
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Lonely_Traveller said:
    Thanks for the insightful post at @DhammaDragon, I've been picnicing in my own personal hell realm tonight with a schizophrenic bout of irrational fear. I took the fear as the object of meditation but it was hard to not desire for it to pass. I read your post and was struck by the rememberance that its our job to be with life at is and not as we want it. Just meditated for half an hour and all that kept crossing my mind was that I'm an energy flow with no owner behind it and the fear is gone. So thanks again @Dhammadragon (along with Ajahn Chah and Dogen). They ought to prescribe you on the NHS!

Thank you, @Lonely_Traveller <3
    I am a sort of ninja blustering dragon, like one of those Red or Black Tara pictures we see on thangkas, but I have a sweet core and I deeply care for people.
    And I deeply believe in Buddhadharma and how it can positively transform our lives.
    My tone is not always appropriate, but a watered-down speech would not be really me...
    @federica knows me too well <3
    That's why I have narrowly escaped being banned to the hell realms several times...

lobsterkarastiZenshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

How do you define spirituality?

By 'living' it :)

ZenshinKundo