Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

practice in short

Remaining focused on the body in & itself - ardent, alert & mindful - putting aside greed & distress with reference to the world

what is meant by:
*body in & itself
*ardent
*alert
*mindful
*putting aside greed & distress
*with reference to the world

Comments

• namarupanamarupa Veteran
    edited December 2016

My guess is the following but I could be wrong.

*body in & itself = Not thinking "my" body "my" arms, legs etc.

*ardent = In a good mood.

*alert = Not falling asleep

*mindful = Aware

*putting aside greed & distress = Focus all attention to the present moment. Disregarding negative thoughts.

*with reference to the world = Seeing all. Seeing the surroundings as well as the object of focus for example.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

In a nutshell: being mindful and aware of one's body sensations and the world around us, exerting right effort to stave off the arousal of unwholesome thoughts and being steadfast in one's practice

lobsterShoshin
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@upekka said:
    Remaining focused on the body in & itself - ardent, alert & mindful - putting aside greed & distress with reference to the world

*putting aside greed & distress

I think this is the tricky bit. How do you "put aside" craving and aversion? It's not an act of will, it seems more like a result of practice.

lobster
  • Part 2.

*body in & itself = Not "my" body

*ardent = Motivated

*alert = Awake

*mindful = Attentive

*putting aside greed & distress = Not "my" greed. Not "my" stress.

*with reference to the world = Not "my" body. Not "my" greed. Not "my" stress. Not "my" world.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

*ardent= "burning," desirous of some end (e.g., Illumination or Enlightenment)

• I like very much what you said in your second post @namarupa <3

In many ways we are 'owned' by a mind/body/emotions, karma if you will, not of our essence but our circumstances.

We are as you state, 'not of those things/attachments'. We are the alert, ardent, mindful pause ... the spacious sky, the clear light, the Buddha Nature. Nirvana.

Buddhadragonupekka
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2017

@lobster said:

In many ways we are 'owned' by a mind/body/emotions, karma if you will, not of our essence but our circumstances.

but 'we/our six sense bases' are effect of previous cause and 'our circumstances/form,sound, tastes, smell, tactiles' are effect of previous cause

We are as you state, 'not of those things/attachments'. We are the alert, ardent, mindful pause ... the spacious sky, the clear light, the Buddha Nature. Nirvana.

exactly, that is why Buddha teach 'four mindful practice' (insight meditation) is the Way to Nibbana, unbinding,....

lobster
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2017

thanks for everyone who response to this thread

@namarupa said:
    My guess is the following but I could be wrong.

*body in & itself = Not thinking "my" body "my" arms, legs etc.

*ardent = In a good mood.

*alert = Not falling asleep

*mindful = Aware

*putting aside greed & distress = Focus all attention to the present moment. Disregarding negative thoughts.

*with reference to the world = Seeing all. Seeing the surroundings as well as the object of focus for example.

with help of readings of other translations (not only english but other languages)

*ardent = with effort to avoid delusion, greed and hate (four type of effeorts in 37 bojjanga)

*alert = with wise attention (sampajano) /whatever arisen is arisen in within not outside

*mindful = Aware of what has been arisen and fallen