Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Things that annoy me.... 'Externally' and 'internally'.

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited December 2016 in General Banter

Please note: THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A LIGHT-HEARTED, HARMLESS THREAD.

Keep it amusing, and don't get uber-serious. With all the crud 2016 and the rest of the world has churned up, let's have a bit of levity....

My biggest annoyance I can't seem to get past:
Poor Grammar/spelling in the writings of others. It's puzzling, when there's spell-checker and auto-correct, that so many people get the simplest things wrong. I do not, and never will, claim to know everything. I almost certainly get some Grammar rules wrong or mixed up myself. But for the most part, I am fairly consistent in my accuracy. So why, or how others continue to make such basic mistakes, is utterly beyond me, particularly when it's a common thing for Grammar-nerds to post corrections... there are even Grammar sites which do the same, on a regular basis!

The thing that absolutely most annoys me - about me: The fact I'm such a pedantic Grammar nerd.

Here, copy, paste, confess!

The thing that absolutely most annoys me - about me:

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2016

I get annoyed about annoyance. :p

[Edit: full stop added to placate the grammar nerds ...]

Tiggerherberto
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Oh @lobster, rules broken, and so soon too! :(

herberto
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

I'm annoyed that I'm usually the one that probably annoys you! FWIW...you're a trooper for not putting me on front street, hahaha, not that the average bear can't spot me, haha
    :3

It totally burns my biscuits/annoys me that people walk looking down on their phones. That people invite you to lunch and stay on their phone the whole time! I'm so annoyed that people stop what they are doing and everyone around them to snapchat/selfie. AGGHHH!!! Does anyone know what RL is anymore? :angry:

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

(Ok, people aren't getting this... are they? Did I explain things incorrectly or something....? O.o )

Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

'people' = me

I'm guessing I read it incorrectly...haha...sorry...carry on...

No, I think @lobster had a mental fog too.... ! :glasses::lol:

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

My biggest annoyance about myself is that somehow I am not perfect. I like to think that I am, and I'm regularly reminded that I'm not, at which point I am both annoyed and amused. What, dear not-self, not that old chestnut again?!

Metta to all during Christmas, and thanks @federica for asking a question which required some internal searching.

OK, everyone, read the first post again!!
    First of all, the thread is supposed to be light hearted.
    Secondly, I even laid out the format for you!!

Thirdly - I'm doing my 'being annoying to myself' bit again!!

JeroenKundoherberto
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited December 2016

I get annoyed that I let other people's expectations and neuroses affect my mood so quickly. I can prepare for moments for days, I can walk in the door optimistic and positive, and the second someone says or does something I disapprove of, my mental state goes in the toilet. Not all the time, but with certain people. I set myself up to fail somehow and I hate that I can't figure out why it still happens with those people. And even more, then I can't let it go and I end up annoyed that I'm annoyed with myself!

Exampe: My stepdad's family isn't my favorite group of people. Some of them were there for holiday dinner yesterday. My sister is a chef, and my stepdad's sister was in the kitchen telling her she was straining the potatoes incorrectly because it's not the way her family does it and it's their house. It wasn't even me that was affected, but her comment bothered me so much that I talked about it hours later, even though the rest of the dinner and evening went brilliantly. One comment because of her attachments threw off my entire day for no reason. And I can't figure it out. So annoying. But it's probably my own attachments to MY way (which is to let people do things how they want to do them) that cause the problem, which is just funny. :lol:

Vastmind

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!

I can equate - !!! Oy, my days!

• IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited December 2016

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

People in public oblivious to the public. So annoying. I come across them everywhere. A well used door way into the mall. Someone will walk through the door and just stand on the other side. Or at the top of an escalator. They just stand there stunned and reach for the cell phone or start undoing their coat. By the time I've happened by the 4th one I just want to grab them by the lapels and scream "What the F$"! is wrong with you?!?"

My impatience.

federicakarastiWalkerWonderingSeeker

Round of applause @David - the on;ly member so far to actually follow explanatory instructions!!

Tigger
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

The self....

Me....

• Oh I get's it now:

Roolz. Which is the answer to the third part. 'What makes you laugh most about control freaks?'

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

I am not sure I have any big annoyances, and yet my inability to remember those annoyances annoys me.

A favorite small annoyance would be people who hold the door for me when they see me and my walking stick heading in that direction. Flinging doors open is a great pleasure for the lame, and I just want all of those solicitous yet ignorant people to jump smartly out of my way, clicking their heels if they happen to be wearing taps on their shoes, and, preferably, standing at attention until I have passed.

And of myself, a multiple annoyance of bad knees and annoyance with my annoyance at my bad knees and annoyance at my annoyance at people who don't click their heels, etcetera and so on, potentially without limit.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited December 2016

My most annoying problem is that I never make mistakes. Just too perfect. I made a mistake once, though, when I admitted to once having made a mistake. I was mistaken.

My pet peeve about others' grammar is the self-ccontradictatatory "Never Say Never."
    "Always say Always" makes sense, though not the other way around. What ARE people talking about? I'll say Never whenever me likes.

JaySon
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

LOL i can shorten mine so it fits better!

What annoys me most: Other people's attachments to their way of doing things to the point they correct anyone and everyone's ways of doing things.

What annoys me about me: My attachment to my way of doing things.

lobsterBunks
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Seriously this time: The external thing that annoys me most strongly is the failure of other people to behave in a gracious and civil, restrained manner. Aggression —whether verbal, emotional or physical— really upsets me. People who vent their opinions on every subject, who always have to address everything especially irk me. I must admit I really resent people who seem to think their opinion on everything really matters to anyone, especially in light of the fact that they have so many of them: such a great sum that surely their very bounty must indeed diminish the worth of each separate opinion. Donald Trump is by no means an extreme example of such types, either.

The internal feature that most troubles me (No, I am not precisely "annoyed.") is my judging faculty itself. I am more than a bit judgmental more often than I like to think, but then manners and common courtesy seem to have been flushed down the drain these last 25 years. I do not consider myself to be a competent arbiter of what is just or right, but I do feel that I retain within myself some sort of moral compass or sense of restraint. And that compass turns me away from the world; notwithstanding, I am not yet tuned out enough. That is a real problem, or maybe not. If I can learn just to let go, except when my compass says not to???

lobsterkarasti
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

People missing the obvious.

Not letting shitty stuff people do go.

Yes I know, I'm a grumpy bitch lately.

• TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

People with no manners! (which includes people walking around like zombies with their phones). What happened to please and thank you?

I get too angry over stupid things #workingonit

• My biggest annoyance I can't seem to get past:

Not too many things annoy me anymore but I was conditioned from childhood to be annoyed by people chewing food or gum with their mouth open and that is easily the top of the list.

The fact that people chewing food or gum with their mouth open annoys me.

@just_so, I'm kind of linking your annoyance with that of @Tigger's because both annoyances I'm sure, are common grievances for others too. It's a question of 'Form'. :innocent:

Eating in public, walking along the street, or in our store (where people regularly bring in drinks/snacks to the premises) where we sell middle- or high-market clothing, is a [particularly galling thing. They wouldn't be clutching a drink or sandwich scanning through their own wardrobe - why do it in close proximity to a pure wool camel coat with a price lable of nearly £100....!?

Tigger
  • just_sojust_so Explorer
    edited January 2017

@federica I should have been more specific. My annoyance is specifically with the sound of the smacking. It pierces my already constantly ringing ears (which is also annoying) like a sharp stick. I have a couple good friends who chew gum like as though they've entered a contest to see how many decibels (<<-- spell-checker :)) they can produce with it. And the funny thing is, they take on a different persona while this gum-smacking display is in action.

Tigger

No, sorry, I should have specified, I got your annoyance. Mine was slightly branching off from yours....

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hmmmm....generally just people not doing what I think they should do.
    More specifically when people say "3AM" and feel the need to then say "in the morning". I want to correct them but I don't.
    People who don't indicate when they turn a corner while driving.
    People who sit in the right lane on the freeway where the signs consistently state "Keep Left Unless Overtaking".

My indecisiveness. My attachment to being liked. My laziness when it comes to my practice.

lobsterTigger
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:
    People who don't indicate when they turn a corner while driving.
    People who sit in the right lane on the freeway where the signs consistently state "Keep Left Unless Overtaking".

YES!!!!!!

Tigger
  • just_sojust_so Explorer
    edited January 2017

@Bunks

The last couple days I realized that tailgating could be on the list of things other people do that really annoy me. It happens virtually every time I drive, as if driving closer to my car is actually going to make a difference in the time it will take for the person behind me to get where they're going. This isn't passive aggressive...it's physically and dangerously aggressive.

For that I'll add another one for myself, which is being distracted. I've been more mindful of that the last few months and have been actively working on it. The more aware I am, the more amazed (sometimes amused) I am at the variety of things that can distract me.

Bunks
  • TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

@just_so said:
    @Bunks
    as if driving closer to my car is actually going to make a difference in the time it will take for the person behind me to get where they're going. This isn't passive aggressive...it's physically and dangerously aggressive.

And really, how much time are they going to save anyway...1.5 minutes?