Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Its a sad world

2»

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

In medical speak, "stable" means nothing more than vitals. Blood pressure, heart rate etc are within normal ranges. She was still in the ICU so she had not recovered and then something failed. It sounds like she never regained consciousness. Meds could have help her body achieve "stability" but scans would have shown heart and possibly brain damage with little hope for recovery. Or, it's also possible she had another attack or something similar. So very sad for their whole family. I cannot imagine losing my mom and my sister in such a brief time, and while still planning services for one.

But with all the celebrity death news, I do try to keep in mind all the normal people, too. Families just in my area have lost their babies and young children, kids have lost a parent or both parents, etc. Death is hard for us all.

• redappleredapple Veteran
    edited December 2016

Yeah, i definitely think it's when the suffering is so f*cking intense and intolerable. I suspect it's normally when people have been badly traumatised and have a severe mental illness, or both. That level of suffering is pretty unbearable and intolerable. When my PTSD kicked in and was full blown, it was horrific, I can't even describe it, but it physically exhausts and drains you, you feel absolutely terrified, I was surrounded by friends and felt absolutely petrified, i was so exhausted and felt hopelessly depressed. I was having terrible nightmares, sleeping one or two hours a night, I couldn't eat or sleep; and my waking life felt like a nightmare, when you are consumed by a sense of terror and horror, just walking down the hall of my acupuncturists or driving in a car home. The level of suffering is just unreal and so scary. In the middle of it, I really, truly felt so hopelessly depressed - sorry but who wouldn't living with that level of suffering? I really felt so frightened and drained, and on my worst days i did just strongly feel like I wanted to not be here anymore. Really all you want is to not suffer any longer, and when the pain and suffering is consuming you, sometimes death does look like the only way out. As I dragged myself up, death was a comfort "If this doesn't get better, at least I can end it."

I guess years of this recurring level of deep, intolerable suffering could really push someone over the edge. There's no reason or rationality really in it, it's just dark and deep and feels like it will last forever. Death is a release and comfort from suffering so insurmountable.

Doing my own research and being pro-active, i feel like this stuff saved me, as I began to see other avenues from the research I had read on the best trauma treatments. And this kept me going, and so then I started to see my terror lessen, and started to feel more peace, joy, strength, and energy arise. So people need to see other solutions, and they don't always feel like they have them and talk therapy can be great, but it's so simple and I think it only touches the surface, and I wish with all my heart that people knew that there were other things out there that could really help, and that you can keep going until you find something that really fits for you...

I CANNOT say for anyone else, but i came to find with PTSD that there are so many wonderful, beautiful healing therapies. And sometimes it is hard with anxiety, but it's so manageable now and that makes me so bloody happy aha. It's also led me to a joy and compassion that I haven't had before. I have no idea what it is like for other people with severe mental illness, things like bipolar and schizophrenia, but working in mental health I really believe that things can be manageable and that people can find joy and hope again. But i do have a deep compassion for and understanding of people's experience when the suffering is so goddamn deep. I don't think it's something that can really be fully understood or made sense of until we have been there.

Anyway, here I am waffling. Life is sad, but i guess it's about helping people to see other avenues out of their suffering and heaping all the compassion and hope on them we can.

• ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

I've been trying to find a way to look on the bright side of suffering and sadness. When I am sad, or experiencing suffering, I find that the experience of that (PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, Loss, etc) has given me better insight into what someone else may be feeling. In a way, I am glad to have the problems I do, because it allows me to help others more effectively.

Hard to "polish that turd" though.

lobsterVastmindKundo
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I agree with the Dalai Lama, but I think what we need most of all is for people to remember to be kind to eachother. If people are kind, and agree not to kill, then a great many evils will vanish from the world - war, terrorism, murder, many other violent crimes and even robberies and kidnappings.

Steve_B

I agree as well. People are so defensive of their views and ways. It's just incomprehensible to me that we feel such a need to defend out borders that people go without their needs in order to do so.

But I admit I run into difficulties with how to handle conflicts with people who have no reason, like Asaad. So many people killed by his forces but it's not like talking at the table helps, he can't even stick to a couple of days of cease fire to allow evacuations. So how to deal with people like him, and Hitler and the like without force? It's not something I can answer, but it does cause me a "values conflict." I don't think we can let such things happen (though of course we do if we have no economic interests).

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

We take their power away from them.
    We move them to a social circle that has no axe to grind against them, but we isolate them and deprive them of any form of position which gives them any superiority or authority. We unseat them. we simply give them the basic requirements with which to continue existing. We don't necessarily incarcerate them. But we make them an ordinary 'Joe' in the street. We teach them to utilise their survival instincts, and give them the rights they so heinously deprived millions of. And they'd better know how to integrate, and work, like everyone else, to support themselves within a society that needs to survive. And we give them jobs which would humble them and create a situation whereby they need to be of service to others.

Just an idea.

Kundo
    edited December 2016

I understand what you are saying, but let's say with regards to Syria, how would you look to accomplish that with them having the backing of Russia and everyone else on the planet tiptoeing around Russia lest they blow up humanity? I'm honestly just curious on your thoughts, not poking you or anything. I haven't been able to think my way out of my own circular argument on it and love to hear what others think so I can expand my ways of thinking on it.

Here is what I found sad today:
    Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 8 hours ago
    Happy New Year to all, including to my many enemies and those who have fought me and lost so badly they just don't know what to do. Love!

We go from the grace and realness of Obama to this. A man who thinks of half the country as his enemies that he is fighting against and complains more about a satire tv show making fun of him than anything else. He makes me think that in a year we'll wish things had been as good as they are now, despite everyone's excitement to get rid of 2016.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@karasti said:
    I understand what you are saying, but let's say with regards to Syria, how would you look to accomplish that with them having the backing of Russia and everyone else on the planet tiptoeing around Russia lest they blow up humanity? I'm honestly just curious on your thoughts, not poking you or anything. I haven't been able to think my way out of my own circular argument on it and love to hear what others think so I can expand my ways of thinking on it.

I honestly doubt Russia would blow up Humanity because the problem with trying to blow up Humanity is that parts of Humanity can fight back. There would be no winners.
    My idea is pie-in-the-sky. It will never happen while the wrong people firmly believe Force and War are a better bargaining tool than anything else. But if these people could be made to sit back and listen, things might not be so bad...

Here is what I found sad today:
    Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 8 hours ago
    Happy New Year to all, including to my many enemies and those who have fought me and lost so badly they just don't know what to do. Love!

We go from the grace and realness of Obama to this. A man who thinks of half the country as his enemies that he is fighting against and complains more about a satire tv show making fun of him than anything else. He makes me think that in a year we'll wish things had been as good as they are now, despite everyone's excitement to get rid of 2016.

Sadly, he's deaf to reason....

No, 2016 really has been appalling, and I cannot imagine anyone would want to come back to it. What we actually need is to turn the clock back a couple of years....

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Its a sad world

In order for one thing to exist the opposite must also exist ...It's just the way it is...