Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What Does The Dharma Offer ?

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

According to Alan Wallace the Dharma offer's "This"

Is he right ?

Are you finding this to be true ?

For me it offer's a way out a way of letting go ...on a path that is full of obstacles, it provides the means to overcome them...

I guess the important thing about this offer, is that it's free and there's no expiry date...One can take up the offer anytime.....

Comments

• What does the teaching of the Buddha, the true nature of things, and the way to the deathless offer?

Everything and more.

• Broadly speaking that is true and from experience we can validate as many have done.

However, Alan Wallace is an up market Depak Chopra, selling discredited 'great swami' dualism, quantum mysticism and the superstitious Tibetan Uber-Consciousness/Reincarnating Soul mythology that he is unable to let go of. In other words we have to look beyond the superficial attractiveness of marrying pseudo science and book selling delusional ideas founded on seductive 'teachings' ...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._Alan_Wallace

Suttra like the Bible contains limitations, it is not perfect because it was created and recorded by a diversity of understandings.

So again. Yes I find mind training does broadly speaking, have the aim of:

• settling the mind, body and emotions
    • generating a move towards clarity, sanity, well being and wisdom
    • improvement for ourselves and others within our situation

That is a good thing as far as I know ...

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I think Alan speaks to a more long term goal and outcome of Buddhist practice. For most people entering meditation and Buddhism the goals should be a little more achievable and short term.

lobsterShoshinwojciech
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I find what he says to be pretty true. It seems to me he was saying exactly that all the things the Dharma offers can eventually lead to a more well rounded happiness,and bliss.

To me, Dharma is truth. The basis of Buddhism has been proven in my investigation to be true, and therefore that is all I need to know. "The truth shall set you free" as they say. that doesn't mean it'll be easy or bliss in the mean time though.

Shoshinperson
  • JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

To me the Dharma is a path to discovering a loving heart and a concentrated mind.

Shoshinwojciech
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2016

To me the Dharma is a path to discovering a loving heart and a concentrated mind.

One hell of a combination! Should I call it rather, a 'heavenly' match? Exactly so @JaySon
    The jewel in the lotus, dorje and bell symbolically used by Tantrists etc.

Do we work predominately from a focussed adamantine/diamond mind or expanding lotus heart? Ideally both. Clarifying and focussing the monkey mind. Having compassion for our dukkha and eventually others.

The vehicle for this combination is the precious human body. Look after it [lobster top tip]
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_the_body

There is a strong ascetic trait in dharma. Middle Way, being aware and sensitive to the body is more conducive to non-Shaolin based lay practice. Neither indulgence or avoidance. Integration I guess ...

• "A path to bliss"

Sounds like a car salesman!

Makes me wonder if he's trying to sell me Dhamma or if he's got some other product of his in the pipeline.

This approach seems very problematic, and an attempt to arouse desire for this path and his promise of bliss.

I'll pass.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

In my humble experience @wojciech, (thus have I heard) the 8FP does lead to bliss...he is just stating the truth/Dharma...

And in his car salesman pitch, he is just selling a used [Greater] vehicle which has been tried and tested ...(thus have I heard) :)

Would you buy a use vehicle from this person ?

• Tried and tested, yes.

However, it seems odd to me that continuing practice with a desire for bliss will promise anything but continued suffering.

A path to liberation. This would include liberation from desire for concepts such as bliss.

That's the 8FP to me. In my mind I don't need a path "to" this concept of bliss. In the words of Hakuin Zenji, this very place is lotus land. This very body the Buddha.

That's My 2 cents.

ShoshinVastmind
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@wojciech I don't think it is advocating that one must "desire" bliss in order to practice the Dharma ....But it would seem that we do 'desire' to end suffering...be it ones own or others....

However...when it comes to "Desire"

Mr A Watts has something to say on this....

wojciech
  • I see you @Shoshin !

Perhaps I'm simply struggling with his use of the word bliss! The dharma is also a path to service, serving life and sentient beings wholeheartedly....something I feel like is being missed with the term bliss.

This could be a wrong view on "my" part however!

The dharma is:

VastmindShoshin
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Nuffink like a bit of bliss if you arsk me. Wiv a nice cup of Rosy Lee. :p

Shoshin
  • JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

@lobster said:

One hell of a combination! Should I call it rather, a 'heavenly' match? Exactly so @JaySon
    The jewel in the lotus, dorje and bell symbolically used by Tantrists etc.

Do we work predominately from a focussed adamantine/diamond mind or expanding lotus heart? Ideally both. Clarifying and focussing the monkey mind. Having compassion for our dukkha and eventually others.

The vehicle for this combination is the precious human body. Look after it [lobster top tip]
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_the_body

There is a strong ascetic trait in dharma. Middle Way, being aware and sensitive to the body is more conducive to non-Shaolin based lay practice. Neither indulgence or avoidance. Integration I guess ...

Interesting. You sound like you know about 100x more than me about Buddhism :)

The reason I say "To me the Dharma is a path to discovering a loving heart and a concentrated mind" is because those are the two things I've experienced by practicing breath meditation and metta meditation.

In breath meditation my mind becomes still. I can clearly see the hindrances. I can identify attachments and craving that I seem to penetrate through, keeping my focus only on my breath. The clutter eventually clears and my mind feels concentrated and solid.

In metta meditation my heart opens. I have better relationships with people I meet and with animals. I also have a great relationship with myself. This coming from a guy who hated himself for most of his life. Generating metta for myself and others has given me a reason to live. It has been that powerful.

I try to practice both forms of meditation equally. Metta strengthens my virtue. Breath meditation strengthens my concentration. Those two plus studying the Dharma strengthen my wisdom.

wojciechpersonShoshin