Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Taking Oneself Too Seriously = Suffering

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

"I" have found that the less there is of a "me" involvement in the experience (example Dukkha moments) the quicker they seem to subside...And the more that "I" become involved on a serious level, then the more "I" experience the suffering....

It's when "I" put too much emphasis on this "I" 's involvement (taking my self way too seriously) by attaching to the thoughts that arise ( taking ownership of them so to speak), is when "I" contaminate/corrupt/manipulate the experience ....

"I" am not saying that "I" wish to eliminate my self completely , "I"m just learning to use my self in a more constructive and beneficial manner...

Do you take your self too seriously ?

That is...Does there have to always be a "you" (a strong sense of self ) involvement in all experiences had ?

dentify

Or at times does an "observer" step in and save the day (dream believer) ?

A new year's conundrum of sorts :winky:
"There was a sentient being (just add name here :) ) that said though, it seems "I" know that "I" know, what "I" would like to see is the "I" (eye) that knows "me" when "I" know that "I" know that "I" know !"

A New Year is upon us (again) ...May we all make it a Happy New Year ....by staying focused/mindful (a watchful mind's eye on the "I" ) and not taking our selves too seriously :)

DhammikalenpadillaJaySon

Comments

• The I gets in the way.

Shoshin
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

@Shoshin said > Do you take your self too seriously ?

Don't we all, from time to time? I like to think of it as a question of objectivity vs. subjectivity - the more subjective my thinking, the more I am apt to suffer and the more objective my view of myself and the world, the less I suffer and the more I am able to enjoy the process of life, at least up to a point.

I suppose the two viewpoints represent extremes though, and in the end perhaps they will become not two. Maybe this year!

Shoshin
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

@lobster queries > Seriously?

Objectively speaking, it is one of a very large number of possibilities, and hence unlikely.

Subjectively speaking, no.

But your stories crack me up, and that will surely suffice for now.

• I WANT PEACE AND HAPPINESS.

Take away I and take away want. What's left?

Shoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I find the over-use and constant inclusion of apostrophes and speech-marks a definite sign that someone is definitely taking themselves far too seriously. Drawing attention to one's self in that way is definitely a seriously issue.....
    ;)

ShoshinZenCanuck
  • JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

You are both the water and a wave.

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@JaySon said:
    You are both the water and a wave.

"Wooohoooo" :waving:

KundoJaySon
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

@pegembara said:
    I WANT PEACE AND HAPPINESS.

Wishing for the happiness of others. That's what's always left. Love is really all there is. Love alone truly abides. My momentary feelings come and go, like bursting bubbles.

Taking oneself Too seriously is nothing but an inadequate sense of humor. Laughing at oneself the only remedy.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Nirvana said: Taking oneself Too seriously is nothing but an inadequate sense of humor. Laughing at oneself the only remedy.

I hea-ha-ha-rtily concur.

pegembara
  • ZenCanuckZenCanuck Toronto, ON Explorer

Honestly? I have no idea yet how to remove the "I" from this whole equation. I know I'm both the water and the wave, but honestly, the wave can't see the farking water right now.

Maybe I've been so stuck in I-ness for so long I can't conceive of myself any other way. I've tried considering from my Pagan roots that we are all part of the web of life, all interconnected, but then every morning I get up and it's I, I, I...I sound like a friggin' Ricky Martin Christmas song!

Every morning I do a ten-minute meditation (same one every day) in which we get in touch with the body and become present in the moment. And I try to think of the rest of the universe and how I'm part of it but so far it's just my little ass in the chair surrounded by a universe I don't yet feel connected to.

Baby Buddhas can be so impatient :)

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Baby Buddhas can be so impatient :)

Patience it would seem is the key...Anatta is going nowhere (now here) special, so is never in a rush :)

ZenCanuck
  • @Nirvana said:

@pegembara said:

Wishing for the happiness of others. That's what's always left. Love is really all there is. Love alone truly abides. My momentary feelings come and go, like bursting bubbles.

Taking oneself Too seriously is nothing but an inadequate sense of humor. Laughing at oneself the only remedy.

Without a self, how can there be others?
    Self and others are dependently co-arisen. When there are others there is also a self.

Take away the I and there is only suffering and its cessation. What is suffering but the inability to accept things as they are.

What? Do you assume a 'living being,' Mara?
    Do you take a position?
    This is purely a pile of fabrications.
    Here no living being
    can be pinned down.

Just as when, with an assemblage of parts,
    there's the word,
    chariot,
    even so when aggregates are present,
    there's the convention of
    living being.

For only stress is what comes to be;
    stress, what remains & falls away.
    Nothing but stress comes to be.
    Nothing ceases but stress.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn05/sn05.010.than.html

Shoshin
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2017

@pegembara said:

Consciousness remains. And there is no such thing as bland consciousness. Loving Consciousness remains. Just as one cannot physically separate the heat from the light that ride tangled up together in the sun's rays, so one cannot remove the love from consciousness. Perhaps sometimes it's love of the wrong thing (fear or hatred), but affective consciousness remains.

Want, in the substantive (non-verb) sense is just another word for "Lack." Take away the sense of "I" and take away the sense of "Want" and something approaching the state of enlightenment lies in view.

Desiring peace and happiness for all is the core of Metta meditation, and good metta builds a "self," as it were, that can be as big as the Whole World.

lobsterpegembaraperson
  • techietechie India Veteran

@pegembara said:

Sentence fragment. ;)

Removing words from a line is easy. Removing desires, the ever-present 'I' thought, is not easy.

lobsterSteve_Bperson