Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Simple Buddhism

Some of us are involved in quite simple practices, for example chanting the name of the Pureland Amitabha (Amituofo) or Nichiren chanting (Nam-myoho-renge-kyo). My own base practice is 'just attentive sitting' - even simpler.

It works for those so engaged.

Where is your core focus? Is it working for you?

Comments

• JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

I was following mainly the Theravada Thai Forrest Tradition, Anapanasati and Metta meditation.

Now I'm finding more happiness practicing Lamrim. I think I'll stick with it for a long time. It seems to encorporate the goals of the Thai Forrest Tradition and more.

Developing calm abiding and attaining meditative absorption, for example, is the same as attaining all the jhanas.

Plus I like the additions of analytical meditation, confessing non-virtue, and asking for the blessings of enlightened beings.

• TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

I'm very new so I am just trying to wrap my head around a lot of what I am learning. I'm starting to meditate, even if for a short while and I'm already seeing differences. It calms me and stops my racing mind that wants to think of everything all at the same time. I'm also reading Old Path White Cloud currently, also very calming.

I consider everyone on here as kind of teachers to me since everyone knows so much...sometimes I have a hard time understanding what people on here are saying but I'm learning as I go. I also remember reading a comment on here a few days ago where someone was saying that they switch from one form of Buddhism to another which is pretty impressive to me.

Steve_B
  • Breath meditation in the unadorned Theravada tradition. Trying to notice when I am trying too hard.

lobster
  • Thanks guys.

I am rather impressed that @Tigger is already meditating.
    Any technique that works to gently focus would be beneficial.

When I started, there was very much an aspect of will power, force, constraint. That quite understandably made meditation hard and rigid. Later doing Buddhist martial arts and yoga meant using the vajra pose which can add a physical constraint.

Not required of course. You can sit in a chair ...

My comfortable tendency would be to have the hands facing down or on the lap ... whatever works ...

Tigger

Enjoy your meditation @Tigger !

Soon meditation will make you so happy that your mind will crave it daily.

Tigger
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I have a confession to make... I'm currently reading Zen Mind, Beginners Mind and there is a long section on meditation posture and why it is important. It made me realise that by meditating while lying on my back in bed I may be shirking a little bit.

And the worst thing is I even have a beautiful new shiny meditation cushion... which I use to put my iPhone on when it's charging. Oh, the shame!

lobsterJaySonTigger
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2017

^^. Tee hee! Your iPhone will become a Buddha?

... meditating in a deck chair is very advanced but may suit ... or perhaps the soothing motion of a rocking chair ...

@Kerome said:
    I have a confession to make... I'm currently reading Zen Mind, Beginners Mind and there is a long section on meditation posture and why it is important. It made me realise that by meditating while lying on my back in bed I may be shirking a little bit.

And the worst thing is I even have a beautiful new shiny meditation cushion... which I use to put my iPhone on when it's charging. Oh, the shame!

iPhones need meditation too.

lobsterTigger

@JaySon said:
    iPhones need meditation too.

I know, my phone has racing thoughts all the time

JaySon

My iPhone has the jhana app, and it is always blissed out.

KundoDairyLama
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2017

@Kerome said:

Those Zennies do get a bit anal about meditation posture, but IMO it is mostly cultural baggage.

Lying down really is fine, here is a picture of the Buddha on holiday:

lobsterJeroenTigger
  • Totally agree with @SpinyNorman

... and would like to eloborate on this idea of 'the Buddha on holiday'.
    Nah ... can't be bothered, just reposting this beach based guided meditation that @genkaku posted recently ...

Jeroen
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:> ... meditating in a deck chair is very advanced but may suit ... or perhaps the soothing motion of a rocking chair ...

Very cool, thought I would like a version with lots of cushions, wide-screen TV and built-in ice-cream dispenser.

lobsterJeroenTigger

@lobster said:
    I am rather impressed that @Tigger is already meditating.
    Any technique that works to gently focus would be beneficial.

Thanks @lobster, I have started a little to be honest but I too am having difficulty staying focused or meditating for a long period of time. I havn't gone over 5 minutes yet which for everyone here is probably very short.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2017

@Tigger 5 mins is a good start. It really makes you aware of what a barrel of gibbering monkeys the mind is. You really have to experience that. It makes the idea of dukkha very comprehensible.

Tigger

Yes, the mind is a barrel of gibbering monkeys for sure LOL

Another thing I have been practicing is doing anything and everything as mindfully as I can. When walking I just try to enjoy the sounds and sights in the very moment I am in. Before practicing this I would have a laundry list of things to think about while doing other things. Remember that time at.....I wonder what happened to an old co-worker I haven't seen in a while, what's in the fridge at home, should I go shopping, did I pay that bill, what will I do this weekend, why is that guy wearing that....and on and on and on.

Now I just try to enjoy every moment, in the monent

JaySonlobster
  • RichdawsonRichdawson Explorer
    edited January 2017

That is good question @lobster
    I say that because it is actually something I have been thinking about myself the past few weeks. However I was asking the question of myself more from the perspective of should I adopt a set pattern / practice and what that practice would be and why.

I continue to read, listen, and take in all the teachings I can. Along the way I have come across a few things that have really stood out to me, and I try to learn more about those teachings and how I can apply them to my personal practice.

What I have been doing consistently is following the 5 precepts. I would like to follow the 8 precepts, but being married with kids makes that harder. I would like to be more consistent with my meditation (time of day) and duration. I suspect that if and when I settle on a specific teaching, that the later might come a bit more naturally.

Tiggerlobster
  • Awesome @Richdawson

It really is finding the core or building on which to base ones unfolding.

For some it is Sila and study, purification through precepts, following a specific guru, teaching, meditation technique, chant ... whatever ...

I am on private retreat at the moment (yes my Ipad came too). This morning I went on pilgrimage to my nearest Buddha garden ... it was snowing but cleared up ...

JeroenTiggerTara1978
  • KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSU Ach-To Veteran

Haven't been able to read the other posts but I will come back and look through them. For now to answer the initial question, my practice is pretty simple as well. I am very interested in the power of intention. I think it's why I am drawn to the Shin sect. My simple chanting and visualizing is enough to center my intentions on the image and nature of Amida Buddha. Lately as I have been finding more information I feel like a super involved or discursive practice is too distracting from the simple Truths of the dharma.

There was a verse I read that said something along the lines of this: there are those who know all the scriptures but do not conduct themselves according to the Way, and then there are those who do not know any scripture at all but live by the Way in their own right. I am within the latter camp and satisfied here.

Tiggerlobster