Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Find out exactly where you stand politically

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran

Found this nice site where you can test where you stand politically, not only on the left - right line but on an authoritarian - libertarian one too.

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

I scored
Left -0.75
Libertarian -4.82

Baron

Comments

• I found it was a hard test to take. I didn't have an answer for some of the questions, so the score isn't entirely accurate, IMO, since I pretty much tossed a coin for those questions.
    I scored a little over -2 on Left/Right, and a -3 on Libertarian/Authoritarian.

• JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

Don't need to. Libertarian :)

Which basically means I believe people can live life however they want as long as it doesn't harm others.

TiggerKundo
  • I've seen things like this before but they used the survey questions to align to a candidate. I haven't seen this one where it gives scores on a spectrum. I scored right about in the middle of the left lower block; that is, I'm solidly left and libertarian. A few of the questions seemed peculiar, but the scores feel about right. I'd say this is pretty accurate, for me.
    Left -5.13
    Libertarian-5.28

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@JaySon the problem becomes that everyone has different ideas of what harm is, and where that line is of whether you are harming someone or not. Harm has a lot of perception attached to it from both sides.

That was an odd test. A few things I didn't know enough of to make an informed choice so they were wild guesses. Some things don't have nearly so cut-and-dry of an answer. I took it based on my absolute ideal world.

Economic Left/Right: -6.0
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.79

• JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

@karasti said:
    @JaySon the problem becomes that everyone has different ideas of what harm is, and where that line is of whether you are harming someone or not. Harm has a lot of perception attached to it from both sides.

Yep. Like whether you are pro life or pro choice I suppose.

• Steve_BSteve_B Veteran
    edited January 2017

@karasti said:
    everyone has different ideas of what harm is, and where that line is of whether you are harming someone or not. Harm has a lot of perception attached to it from both sides.

For example (one of the questions), some heterosexual people believe that the existence of homosexuality harms the institution of marriage, and so by extension harms their specific marriage. If you're one of the people who believes that your own marriage is harmed by someone else being homosexual, then you might reasonably disapprove of homosexuality. I personally believe that nobody else's predilections or habits have any effect whatsoever on my marriage, and I don't disapprove of homosexuality. Both are perfectly logical positions, so both could satisfy JaySon's definition, though they are exactly opposite positions.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Left -7.5
    Social Libertarian -5.9

Seems fairly accurate.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I know exactly where I stand.
    Two words: Post Turtles.

lobsterVastmindKundo
  • TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran
    edited January 2017

@Steve_B said:
    For example (one of the questions), some heterosexual people believe that the existence of homosexuality harms the institution of marriage, and so by extension harms their specific marriage. If you're one of the people who believes that your own marriage is harmed by someone else being homosexual, then you might reasonably disapprove of homosexuality.

@Steve_B I am not against you on this one because I know it's not your view and just a comment but don't agree with that. A line needs to be drawn between logical and illogical harm because then anyone could just make up anything just because they dislike someone or something (slippery slope). I believe it should be physical harm and not some illusion of harm and religious extremists should stay away from other peoples lives....and for the love of Buddha, separate church from state!!! (IMO) <3

Steve_B

Even when it comes to physical harm, it can be difficult. Some people believe strongly in spanking, for example, and some of them cross the line into beating. Complicating matters is it's different in every state in the US, and the most Bible Belt states are the more likely to allow for lenient corporal punishment. In the view of some, it causes all sorts of harm. In the view of others, it is necessary. Abortion is another one, as has already been mentioned. Religious beliefs come into play for almost everyone for that, because it comes down to when you believe life starts, and what it means to end it, and that is very largely based on our belief systems. I'd love to have more of a separation of church and state, as we are supposed to in the US, however, we have moved that backwards a bit after our recent election, as the people running our government now are very Christian-focused and are already moving to defund health care services that also provide abortions etc.

it seems easy enough to determine what harm is. And in some cases it's pretty cut and dry. But when you dig a little deeper, not so much. There is much, much more to harm than simply physical harm. Emotional and mental harm can often be even worse.

@karasti said:
    it seems easy enough to determine what harm is. And in some cases it's pretty cut and dry. But when you dig a little deeper, not so much. There is much, much more to harm than simply physical harm. Emotional and mental harm can often be even worse.

I agree completely @karasti . I may have used the word physical loosely. I feel emotional harm and mental harm included when I used that word as that IS harm but someone being homosexual has absolutely and completely no affect on someone miles away or at least not logically in my opinion. I agree what is and isn't harmful to one can be debated and looked deeper into but if we are going to say "this is illegal" or "this is not illegal" there needs to be actual harm. I get if you're religious you may be threatened in whatever way to homosexuality and fine, hate it and say it harms you, it's a free country BUT don't make others abide by your thoughts or views....no harm was really done

karastiperson

@Tigger yes, I pretty much agree. Being offended due to your beliefs doesn't mean laws should reflect that. I have my own beliefs, but I try to not vote for laws that change other people's lives based on them. that's not my place, or my beliefs purpose. They are meant to guide me, and only me, in my own life, and nothing more. There are things that are legal that I wouldn't do personally. That doesn't mean they should be illegal or that they cause harm to people just because of the personal choices I make.

Steve_B

I agree @karasti very much <3

• Did the test las night and I am thrilled to have my dot close to Gandhi and not those arseholes Hitler and Stalin!

Baron
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I think we can all pretty much go with that ideology even without the test.... O.o

lobster
  • Unlike identifying with a celebrity, the test is an objective measurement of individual belief systems with results quantified along two continuums. This particular one has some oddities in the questions (I think) but it is fundamentally different from saying "Everybody knows ______ was good and ______ was bad."

person
    edited January 2017

Yeah well, I've already stated my case. I don't vote. Haven't done for nearly 30 years, so it's pointless me questioning my affiliation or leaning for any political sphere.
    I've yet to encounter ANY politician I would trust to give my vote to.
    Gandhi did some bad things. Hitler did some good things.

Politically, one was certainly better than the other.

Personality-wise, it might seem to some that Gandhi's character left something to be desired....
    And according to some sources, Hitler was not in his right mind, due to over-zealous use and prescription of mind-altering drugs, as were his troops....

lobsterVastmindKundo
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Economic Left/Right: -8.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.82

Not a bad reflection, although it doesn't capture strong views on the environment.

• BaronBaron Glen Davis, Australia New

Interesting test but I feel
    many questions are missing the "it depends" answer.
    My score:
    Economic Left/Right: -7.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.59

person