Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who built the pyramids in Egypt?

NamadaNamada Veteran
edited January 2017 in General Banter

who built the pyramids in Egypt?

The wheel was not invented at the time, and archaeologist says Egyptians built them within 20 years, carved out with a chisel and stone, can it be true? Hardly, according to this documentary. Very educational and sensational, especially for those who can very little about this subject.

Comments

• who built the pyramids in Egypt?

The Egyptians.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_pyramid_construction_techniques#

Next. o:)

KundoJeroenDhammika
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Don't look at me. It took me years to even get my stickle-bricks to stand up. Well into my teens.
    I've never confessed that in public before....

Dhammikaherberto
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited January 2017

That the egyptians built the pyramid with stones and chisel seems more unnatural than there is something else that may have built it. Example another species that has disappeared, a species that was smarter or equal smart as humans. Earth is, after all, 4.5 billion year, so there have been many strange creatures that have been here that we dont know nothing about.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Oh please.... you have to be kidding me, right....?

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

There is a plethora of documented, SCIENTIFICALLY backed theories including ones practically completed that make "aliens" as laughable as it sounds.

lobster

Topic moved from 'Meditation' to 'General Banter'. What on earth it was doing there in the first place is beyond me....

@Namada, please, before succumbing to the influence of such an idiotic fantasy, do some proper research instead, ok? It's utter rubbish, and has absolutely no scientific, verifiable foundation to it at all. It is unquestionably taking the mickey.

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited January 2017

@federica you have to think out of the box sometimes ;)

When you look at all the huge stones and granitc blocks from the ancient times which where moved and lifted long distances, some weighing 9 tonnes and was 27 meters long

You have to ask, how could they do that, even today it would be really difficult.

1) Its Giants
    2) Its ailiens
    3) The antic civillsation, they had very good building tools that we dont know about,
    and they were much smarter then we first thought.

On the most remote island on earth you can find Moai Statues on easter island.
    How could they be moved, by threes and ropes?

edited January 2017

There was a programme about these about 6 months ago which explained it very well. You might find it on BBC iplayer. It's a repeat from 2014, but worth viewing. Oh and it's researched, scientific, verifiable and reliable.

Just thought I'd mention that.

Anything else before I dump this ridiculous thread?

Kundo
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited January 2017

Do what you want, Iam just asking questions on things we dont have any clear answers for

We already have clear answers on many things, but you're choosing to not do the research properly but latch onto frankly ludicrous theories.
    I admire your curiosity, but don't grasp at straws. Read, read, read everything respectable.
    Wikipedia has been a much-maligned source of information, but there is much there to whet the appetite. And no mention of aliens.

Jeroen
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited January 2017

I can do a lot of research and I have done so already,
    I wanted to hear whether you guys had any thoughts on this subject.

The conclusion so far, scientists do not know how they were built. The fact of the matter is that tools have not been found to explain any theory. More than eighty pyramids have been discovered in Egypt, and the tools that built them have never been found

In the Great Pyramid alone, there are an estimated 2,300,000 blocks of stone, both limestone and granite, weighing between 2½ tons and 70 tons each. That is a mountain of evidence with no tools surviving to explain its creation.

And from this, what do you gather?

• So even though the tools and machines have not survived the thousands of years since their use, we have to assume, that they did exist.

There is much to be learned from our distant ancestors, but before that lesson will come to us, we need to open our minds and accept that there have existed on the earth, civilizations with technology that, while different from our own, and in some areas possibly not as advanced, had developed some manufacturing techniques that are as great or even greater.

Well....yes.... we knew that... :confused:

The one thing they had in major abundance, which is lacking in today's societies was manpower.
    Mainly, this was down to slavery and conquest. Men in those days, were dispensable, and easily replaced.

Advanced technology has brought us mechanisation, which has reduced the need for man-power.
    If we had fewer machines doing the work, we would have more men employed to construct what needs building.

Every stonemason who began work on the Cathedrals and churches in our major cities, never saw their completion. And they began work knowing they wouldn't. Construction work of this kind was vocational and devotional.
    These significant edifices were built to the greater Glory of God(s) or some men.
    They were places/figures of worship, and any function was secondary.

Kundo
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Well I'm convinced that the ancient Egyptians did build the pyramids, and without any special arcane manufacturing techniques. They probably did a few innovative things with tools, as did the ancient Inca's in Macchu Pichu, where there are crafted stone blocks that would be difficult to reproduce today given the precision and hardness of the material.

But these are relatively small things, just minor techniques that have gotten lost over time. Secrets of the master craftsmen of a forgotten age, but I don't think any aliens were involved.

• If someone presents ideas in a discussion forum that are different from ours, should we discuss them in the forum? Or should we ridicule them as idiotic fantasy and rubbish?

I don't believe that the pyramids or Stonehenge were built by space aliens or mystery creatures. But in serving up a response to the question, we might want to increase the proportion of honey as an ingredient in what we serve.

silver
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I hope I wasn't being disrespectful. But for me, the most interesting parts of a story like this are not the "aliens came down from above" angle but rather the hard science of it. If they really go into that, what precisely it is that made it so hard to construct these things, and what the options are and were, then it will hold my attention. I'm interested in the engineering of ancient structures.

But I find the concepts of space aliens or mystery extra dimensional creatures to be incredibly unlikely. It runs totally counter to Occam's Razor - that principle of logic that holds that all other things being equal the least complicated explanation is likely to hold true.

• @Kerome said:

But I find the concepts of space aliens or mystery extra dimensional creatures to be incredibly unlikely. It runs totally counter to Occam's Razor - that principle of logic that holds that all other things being equal the least complicated explanation is likely to hold true.

Yes Kerome, I was going to make exactly this point, but wanted to comment first on being mean (unintentionally, I imagine) to our fellow forum members who raise interesting questions. It was not any disrespect on your part that I had noticed.

The basic concept is that given two proposed explanations, the more parsimonious one has the higher likelihood of truth. The more complexity you have to invoke to make your point, the more likely you are straying, particularly if you have to invoke things that themselves have questionable evidence for existence. If you need space aliens to explain a terrestrial phenomenon, you might reconsider your explanation. Of course, this does not at all mean that space aliens couldn't have been involved -- they could have been! It's just a logic system for assessing likelihood.

lobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited January 2017

While I don't think E.T.s had anything to do with the pyramids, I would tend to think it laughable to believe out of all the vastness of space, with the millions or billions of stars and billions or trillions of planets that this one little planet is the only one with intelligent life.

It is incredibly unlikely that we are the only ones here (in the universe) and the odd little leap our technical abilities took about a hundred years ago or so makes me wonder if perhaps some of us already encountered such beings.

I shrug it off but it's only typical human arrogance that would assume we are the only ones in the universe capable of technological exploration.

edited January 2017

@Steve_B said:
    If someone presents ideas in a discussion forum that are different from ours, should we discuss them in the forum? Or should we ridicule them as idiotic fantasy and rubbish?

Given the concept is (pardon the pun) an alien one to everyone, then it's not necessarily a bad thing to dismiss it as idiotic fantasy and rubbish.
    However, as you correctly point out, manners were lacking.
    I unreservedly apologise both to members contributing and of course to @Namada.
    Put it down to a parallel stressful moment, but reason as that may be, it is no excuse.

However, once @Namada had clarified his position in greater detail, I was more disposed to examining they possibilities and probabilities of the origins of these extraordinarily phenomenal constructions...

Incidentally, we should not discard the improbable, if it can be demonstrated to work. What seems miraculous to us, was achievable to them....

Sir Christopher Wren (famously, the designer of St Paul's Cathedral in London, wherein resides the Whispering Gallery) also designed the Town Hall in Windsor.
    When he submitted architectural plans to the Eldermen of the City (remember he was an accomplished and expert mathematician) they were horrified at the vast expanse of the high ceiling, with apparently nothing holding it up.
    Despite Wren's assurances, they insisted he construct extra pillars to support the ceiling.

This, he complied with.

The pillars are there today, and their tops are a good 6" shorter than the height of the ceiling.
    They support nothing, although from the ground, it's impossible to tell.
    The ceiling is just as solid as when it was first built.

What he regarded as achievable, they regarded as miraculous.

(ETA after consulting an Historical expert (my mother): The gaps have since been filled, due to subsidence damage during the WWII years, when excavating subterranean bomb shelters disturbed the foundations of the building.
    Wren's expertise would still prove true, had it not been for incidental interference
    ....)

edited January 2017

@Steve_B said:
    If someone presents ideas in a discussion forum that are different from ours, should we discuss them in the forum? Or should we ridicule them as idiotic fantasy and rubbish?

Make sure that applies to ALL topics raised on this forum then. You can't pick and choose.

I won't apologise for calling the idea laughable. I never once attacked @Namada's character, just the idea put forward shrugs

• @dhammachick said:

I won't apologise for calling the idea laughable. I never once attacked @Namada's character, just the idea put forward shrugs

You are right.
    I just went back through the thread to find your post so I could see why you thought I was referring to you. I wasn't. And to be fair, Federica's post, for which she has politely and appropriately apologized, could also be read as to refer to the idea and not the person, so it's a fair distinction. Still, if someone posts an idea I disagree with, I'd like to think I could (and should) present a cogent counterargument or reasonable alternative idea, so as to make a contribution to the discussion.

@Steve_B said:

@dhammachick said:

You are right.
    I just went back through the thread to find your post so I could see why you thought I was referring to you. I wasn't. And to be fair, Federica's post, for which she has politely and appropriately apologized, could also be read as to refer to the idea and not the person, so it's a fair distinction. Still, if someone posts an idea I disagree with, I'd like to think I could (and should) present a cogent counterargument or reasonable alternative idea, so as to make a contribution to the discussion.

:+1: Thank you, I appreciate that. We're all good
    _ /\ _

Steve_B
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited January 2017

No problem Federica, I would also shred my head, when someone tells you it has to be the aliens that made them, specialy when no proof for this has been recorded for you. I still belive it is the ancient civilization that built the pyramids. Anyway Its beyond my fantasy to understand how they did it, but I recomend you to watch the documentar, its based on facts and not witch craft or aliens.

• @Namada

Ever since I was a little kid the “mysteries” of history have been of great fascination for me. History and Art History were always two of my favorite topics next to Sociology. Thank you for that link to the video, it was a good watch. I think it was pretty inclusive of many similar videos I have watched before.

It is very interesting to me how there seems to be such resistance to the possibility of alternative timelines in history. I guess people in general don’t like to be wrong, and when you challenge the existing popular history with valid questions it gets sticky. It is also interesting to note just how much of popular history is assumed, because in many cases we just don’t know. As they mentioned in the video, prior to 680 BC there are no documents like the Roman archives to collaborate, yet history tries so hard to stick everything into this neat timeline of what they think they know.

I think we (yes I am generalizing) as humans try to put things into the perspective of where things are today. We have a hard time of breaking away from the mindset of our present moment. We can’t do it today, so how could they do it thousands of years ago? It really does beg the question, “What if the history you know and were taught is really wrong?” Breaking out of that box is not easy perhaps because if you think that is wrong…then what else might we have been overlooking?