Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Solipsism and existentialism

KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSUAch-To Veteran

Recently I have become obsessed with watching videos on space, the future of humankind, and philosophies/theories on existence vs. extinction. Lately I'm drawn to more dramatic or sensationalized ideas. Though I am open to the possibility of anything, these videos are more extreme views on the universe, dimensions, existence, mathematics, etc.

I've noticed now that these ideas have affected my day to day thinking. Though I love philosophy and knowledge, I'm wondering if this information I'm looking up now is just erroneous. I've noticed myself getting depressed, thinking I, myself, am meaningless in this great chasm of space-time, or that all of humanity is meaningless. It also makes me anxious and worried about the wellbeing of future people. I'm curious as to the opinions and thoughts people on here might have about these things.

Comments

• KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSU Ach-To Veteran

didnt meant to post in arts and writing, but i cant find how to move or delete this and repost

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited January 2017

You might enjoy David Brin's Existence. Cracking sci-fi novel about the difficulties intelligent races face in surviving the early technological stages of existence (as we are currently doing).

But yes when extreme views start to look enticing, it is time to be careful. It's usually a sign that something else in life is not satisfying you - perhaps either a yearning for excitement, or an underlying death wish, or resentment aimed at the rest of civilisation. Ask yourself why you are drawn to these things, the answer will often arise.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@eggsavior said:
    didnt meant to post in arts and writing, but i cant find how to move or delete this and repost

Moved to 'Philosophy'.

• Solipsism and existentialism, are naturally angst-generating philosophies. When you really indulge them, the world can appear lonely, meaningless, and yes very depressing and frightening. The world seems more and more insane, and absurd as you go deeper into it them until you face the spectre of nihilism - a truly extreme and uncomfortable idea - NO THING! Aaaargh!. Its good to confront these ideas, but habitually dwelling on them does you no favours. You're still here aren't you. Having some fearful ideas and notions, but you are still here...

When you mentally look like this:

but want to mentally look like this:

I suggest you go back to the fundamentals and look up the works of that wonderful chap called Siddhartha Gautama - i.e. the four noble truths, which aim to lead you to the cessation of suffering like that, by teaching you to have the correct view of the world - not extreme ones!

Jeroenpersonlobstersilver
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@eggsavior , if something disturbs you then evidently, something is not quite right.

Why does there HAVE to be meaning? What 'deep meaning' do you think there is?

The meaning of Life is that you are here, now, and need to live your life in as wise, compassionate, Loving and empathetic way you can.
    Learn to respond, not to react. Breathe deeply and appraise each moment as you come to it, in order to live it as positively, skilfully or as productively as you can, and realise that Peace, Contentment and serenity are not to be found anywhere other than where you are right now.

I don't know who originally said this (or something very like it - I think it could have been Theresa of Calcutta); we are but a small drop in a vast ocean. But take us out - and the ocean would be one drop diminished.

If something is troublesome, leave it aside.
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you need to progress on your Buddhist Path for a while longer and understand the fundamental teachings a little more deeply before 'branching out' into other sources, which ultimately currently lead to Attachment and Aversion.

lobstersilversatcittananda
  • ZeroZero Veteran

@eggsavior said:
    I've noticed myself getting depressed, thinking I, myself, am meaningless in this great chasm of space-time, or that all of humanity is meaningless. It also makes me anxious and worried about the wellbeing of future people.

For an equation to be just so, all elements must be present - no matter how large or complex the equation, the smallest part is still significant in achieving the just so.
    'Meaning' does not necessarily equate to wellbeing.

lobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I'm a fan of Crash Course - Philosophy and Wireless Philosophy on You Tube for some philosophy that isn't so oppressive or depressing.

• Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

@eggsavior said:
    Recently I have become obsessed with watching videos on space, the future of humankind, and philosophies/theories on existence vs. extinction. Lately I'm drawn to more dramatic or sensationalized ideas. Though I am open to the possibility of anything, these videos are more extreme views on the universe, dimensions, existence, mathematics, etc.

I've noticed now that these ideas have affected my day to day thinking. Though I love philosophy and knowledge, I'm wondering if this information I'm looking up now is just erroneous. I've noticed myself getting depressed, thinking I, myself, am meaningless in this great chasm of space-time, or that all of humanity is meaningless. It also makes me anxious and worried about the wellbeing of future people. I'm curious as to the opinions and thoughts people on here might have about these things.

-It sounds like you may be suffering from a case of existential angst. If it helps, as regards the illusion that is our lives, it seems to me, we, ourselves, in many ways, as measured against that which we perceive to give meaning, are, in fact meaningless...

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited January 2017

Life is not meaningless untill you say it yourself, its just one idea.
    It can also be meaningfull!

Just look at how this bad kamma gonna eat you up from the inside if you just going around thinking life is meaningless..

Start with a smile and feed some ducks in the park, do something to help other beings and you will see life is meaningfull, you can bring joy to others around you with your energy and mindfullness :)

lobsterpersonsilver
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

It also makes me anxious and worried about the wellbeing of future people.

S/he who fears s/he shall suffer...already suffers what s/he fears

~Michel de Montaigne~

The past shapes the present and the present shapes the future

@eggsavior it would seem that you are allowing yourself to get ahead of yourself.... :)

Let the breath be your anchor/present :)

To worry is to pay interest on trouble that may never come
    My advice ...Don't bank on it ...

Kannonpersonupekka
  • JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

You are made up of star dust and distant planets. You are important.

silver

Thanks all for the words and advice, I will respond more fully later but you've helped me put things into perspective. I appreciate it so much.

I think you are right about my path @federica. I also really like what @karasti said about leaving things alone if you aren't ready to face them just yet. Thank you both!

I will spend time returning to the dharma and meditating (:

JaySonTiggerlobster
  • Tee hee! B)

Western philosophy is just thinking for the sake of it.

Pah!

Far better to do so for well being as @satcittananda and others have mentioned. Waves and ripples are our resonance from our positional drop waving and weaving throughout the metaverse.

As an osmonaut I am amazed what is out there. Obviously my site is not for the faint hearted but those who require no answers but the right questions ... we may find hard science, mad science and the art of travelling to other dimensions is all about head space ...
    http://tmxxine.000webhostapp.com

Stay grounded!

Here is a little excerpt ...
    It weaves. In and out of other multiverses, through and before time. As the open society fights the closed interests, we find the permutations jumping into reality seem more unlikely. The drive for improbability, predicted by Douglas Adams and others arrives. Tmxxine has always sanctioned the impossible as the only possible direction. Valuable possibilities of insanity, counter intuition, brain manipulation and extreme wisdom traditions become acceptable means of research. The ozmonauts have always been passing through and with us.

satcittananda

Here is a short story I wrote inspired by these thoughts and ideas

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/24582/short-story-in-the-end