Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Art as meditation

KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSUAch-To Veteran

I am an abstract artist and recently I've begun large scale pieces which is always my favorite. I work very quickly and intuitively. Because I don't make objective images in my work I think it is very free. The feeling is similar to a great meditation. I am so calm and mindful and the work I create is evidence of this. It makes me so happy. Are there any other artists here who have similar experiences?

Tigger

Comments

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran
    edited January 2017

Yes, very much so. I paint objective representations only, and at a relatively small scale, but the principle is the same. Andrew Wyeth once stated that he honestly considered himself to be an abstractionist.

There are a few extra pitfalls inherent in objective art, but they can be avoided when one is mindful of them. In one sense, we're all just painting paint.

Kannon
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2017

I pretend to make abstract art. Usually with an Apple pro and pencil
    For example this collage I just finished. Not done anything for a while. @Fosdick is right about us being paint painters. What I need is a good pretentious title 'Monkey Mind Dreams of Buddha's'

I can certainly get into a painting zone, but mostly it is just my monkey mind having a bit of a play ...

You can see one of @Fosdick wonderful paintings in this thread ...
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/24154/i-haz-crayons

• TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

I haven't really done any art in a while but I can see how the calm and peace in art would be similar to that of meditation.

I'm planning on painting again as it is something I like to do and I think I'm am going to incorporate some meditation with it....kind of like walking meditation but with the hands instead of the feet and see what happens.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2017

@Tigger said:
    I'm planning on painting again as it is something I like to do and I think I'm am going to incorporate some meditation with it....kind of like walking meditation but with the hands instead of the feet and see what happens.

I hope you do. It is one of the methods of concentration/meditation/mindfulness used in Sufism. They tend to be more geared towards artisan and craft type activities. So for example @federica our beloved main moderator engages in knitting and cooking, both extremely creative and potential meditations.

Art is considered too egotistical in Islamic mysticism but I have seen incredible examples of their craftwork, one you might be familiar with is the Taj Mahal.

Anyway yes we can knit, cook or paint 'The Buddha' as a devotional or mindful activity.
    I have charged my pencil, gonna have another go after watching this video ...

Tigger
  • satcittanandasatcittananda UK Veteran
    edited January 2017

I am absolutely useless at art, but appreciate it very much, good art is fabulous for one-pointed meditation.

I have spent many hours meditating on various works of William Blake, M C Escher, Edvard Munck, Gustav Klimt and many others: I once completely lost all track of time and place Meditating on 'the work 'God Judging Adam' by Blake after becoming lost in the multidimensional aspect of it. It speaks volumes to me when I mediate deeply on it and have had what some would probably describe as a mystical experience, or reached a dyana state or whatever you want to call it, but I can never convey it in words to anyone. I can only tell them how wonderful Blake is as an artist, and how wonderful and perfect his art makes the world appear to me.

The music art form is also perfect to meditate on. listening to a piece of beautiful music can carry me off similarly to that state. In particular Gregore Allegri's miserere does it for me...

Tigger
  • TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

@lobster said:
    I hope you do. It is one of the methods of concentration/meditation/mindfulness used in Sufism.

I will definitely look into Sufism since arts and craft meditation seems up my alley. The computer I am currently on does not allow me to watch videos from YouTube so I will need to wait until later to see them but thank you =)

• @eggsavior said:
    I am an abstract artist and recently I've begun large scale pieces which is always my favorite. I work very quickly and intuitively. Because I don't make objective images in my work I think it is very free. The feeling is similar to a great meditation. I am so calm and mindful and the work I create is evidence of this. It makes me so happy. Are there any other artists here who have similar experiences?

This is different from my experience.
    I was drawn to art when I was young, as an expressive outlet. I migrated to photography and then to music, all forms of expression. These days my creative pursuits are mostly musical. Like you, I have times where I get "in the zone " and there is no thinking. There is a direct connection between the soul and the music, and it's at once peaceful and intense. Blissful. But it's really not meditation, which for me is an entirely different kind of a zone altogether. In meditation I like to let all the clatter, all the noise (thoughts, images, sounds) play themselves out and slowly quiet down. It gives me the sensation of a quiet, rested mind. I do have other times, not meditation, where I am alone with my thoughts, that feel like what you're describing.

lobster
  • @satcittananda said:
    I am absolutely useless at art,

maybe ... but most likely you can do something ...

I charged my pencil and somehow got another collage. I have practically no skill but a lot of patience. I just keep going until a flower, morphed, to a man, to Tara ... and I kept the computer icons in because I liked them ...

Tiggersatcittananda
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

There are such beautiful pieces here. Attached is my masterpiece....... thankfully I can play and sing music :+1:

Steve_BTiggerAnanda_Cheesecake
  • ^^. Wot no song? Sing for us ...

'Good Day Sangha' - is that a song title?

Milerepa is all ears ...
    https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/coloring-with-the-buddha/

Kundo
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I knit....

Knitting as an Art Form....

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2017

• When I say useless at Art I should have clarified that better. I mean't I'm useless at painting and drawing @lobster - I really like your piece above btw - looks like you used an iPad pro.

I do participate in the reproductive art form that is Photography, and the creative art forms of prose, poetry, and philosophy, especially metaphysics, theosophy and etymology.

Did you know that the word poetry is derived from the greek word poiesis that means 'to make' or create.

Philosophy as the fundamental nature of reality, knowledge and existence is fascinating as a discipline - I'll never get bored with it -and will keep me going for many lifetimes yet!

Did you also know metaphysics has 2 opposing main views, that complement and resonate with one another. Understanding the 2 views can causes a mental play which leaves you lost for words. The Platonic view that holds firm to the view that what actually exists is beyond experience whilst the Kantian view holds that objects of experience is the only reality we can truly have. The right view is that both are right, and both are wrong - it's the 'not one, not two' zen observation: For those who are really interested in understanding this take a look at this:

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/japanese-zen/#HerNow

click on the hyperlinks numbered 5,6 and 7... This is philosophy as a very high art form. Intellectual meditation is an interesting form of meditation as well, as you are supposed to empty your mind of thoughts - or so we are told! I find when I'm lost in reading philosophy, there are no thoughts, and I suddenly am back in the world... Asking did I really read that or have I been shown wisdom?

lobster
  • KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSU Ach-To Veteran

Here are some pieces I finished recently. I am interested in process painting and intuitive painting. I feel like non-objective painting is the closest to visualizing energy and emotion I can get, I love it!

lobstersatcittananda

@lobster said:
    ^^. Wot no song? Sing for us ...

That can be arranged if you're serious..... :+1:

• ^^. Good news. Are you gonna record? Live stream?

Probably record. I'll dust off some of my old backing tracks :awesome:

• ^^. Sing.
    Sing a song ... Hooray! <3

• My sister a lapsed Tara devotee, created this sculpture ...
    Made from her leftover wands and hand made paper flowers and a scrap one winged fairy ...

Kannonsatcittananda
  • KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSU Ach-To Veteran

A new piece I made inspired by recent events

satcittananda