Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are you an old soul?

NamadaNamada Veteran
edited January 2017 in General Banter

Are you an old soul?

Comments

• I thought I was the unborn! [OK off to naughty corner] o:)

satcittananda
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

So I have been told.

• ZeroZero Veteran

@Namada said:
    Are you an old soul?

I find the concept unhelpful - it raises just more challenges - souls in packets, some created earlier

lobsterVastmindJeroen
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes, @Zero, I agree. To elaborate, someone once told me (at a Psychic Fair - where else - ?!) that I "have been here before!" At the time, in the very embryonic stage of my exploring Buddhism, the idea both enthralled me, and made me cynical.

No, it's a "yeah, whatever..." idea, and I'm too busy 'now' to bother lingering on 'then'....

Zerosatcittananda

@Zero said: I find the concept unhelpful - it raises just more challenges - souls in packets, some created earlier...

Wot.... loike viss....?

lobsterZero
  • Very funny vid from @federica - here is the full version, very instructive to save a potential stiff ... (someone in cardiac arrest in this case)

Stiff = dead person

• JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran
    edited January 2017

Some say it is so. I listen to the Beatles every day. Even though I grew up in the 90s.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

According to Buddhism we are all old souls. (Wandering on without a beginning)

karastiZeroBunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Zero said:

@Namada said:
    Are you an old soul?

I find the concept unhelpful - it raises just more challenges - souls in packets, some created earlier

Agreed. Besides there potentially not being souls, the creation of souls raises all kinds of tricky issues - how? By whom? - and issues around shifting human population sizes.

What I do find interesting is the concept underlying the "old soul" words, that some people seem to be born more sensible, wiser, more sensitive to the ways of the world, without an explanation coming from their environment or the genes of their parents. People who just seem mature beyond their words.

TiggersilverZero
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

It does seem like there are people who have "been around the block" a few more times than others. They respond and view the world differently in spite of the typical external influences. But it seems to me just another way to elevate people or ourselves. What purpose does it serve to consider oneself, or others, in that way? Other than to satiate the ego into always wanting to think it is wiser or better than others, just by taking a bit of the edge out by considering that superiority to be the "soul" rather than the more base levels of our human being-ness?

I can see it now. FB arguments that end in "Sigh. You are just SUCH a young soul. I can't even with you right now." :lol:

silverZeroKundoJeroen
  • ZeroZero Veteran

@federica said:
    At the time, in the very embryonic stage of my exploring Buddhism, the idea both enthralled me, and made me cynical.

Same here - must be an old soul thing...! [budge up in the naughty corner]

federica
  • I am a forever young soul. Curious and excited about life.
    Of course, I have been kicked about, prodded, hurt, vilified and honored.
    That is called "Welcome to life 101"
    My Buddhist practice keeps me young, keeps me curious, keeps me ever hopeful.

Peace to all

ZenshinTiggerlobsterNamada
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Are you an old soul?

I'm working on soullessness ....And when I think about the term "old soul"...memory pops to mind...what is an old soul but past memories ... Just more useless baggage to lug around Samsara...

Think moment to moment rebirth, with every breath taken... out with the old and in with the new

This karmic bundle of vibrating energy flux, travels light :) ( a rolling stone gathers no moss/memories )

• Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

No, I'm an illusion...

lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:
    I thought I was the unborn! [OK off to naughty corner] o:)

Unborn? Sheer luxury!

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Are you an old soul?

I'm just old.... :wink:

Tigger
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited January 2017

Here is one example of an old soul coming back singing to us ;)