Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does your practice involve watching Intention?

Mine does, and I'm curious as to the experience of others in this regard...

ShoshinlobsterVastmind

Comments

• Absolutely. In myself and others. Intention/attitude is not as advanced as non-action/wu-wei
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_wei

The Sage is occupied with the unspoken
    and acts without effort.
    Teaching without verbosity,
    producing without possessing,
    creating without regard to result,
    claiming nothing,
    the Sage has nothing to lose.

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"The Buddha explains right intention as threefold: the intention of renunciation, the intention of good will, and the intention of harmlessness.[14] The three are opposed to three parallel kinds of wrong intention: intention governed by desire, intention governed by ill will, and intention governed by harmfulness.[15] Each kind of right intention counters the corresponding kind of wrong intention. The intention of renunciation counters the intention of desire, the intention of good will counters the intention of ill will, and the intention of harmlessness counters the intention of harmfulness."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/waytoend.html#ch6

I guess if one is diligently practising, (practice being 24/7/365 on and off the cushion) right intention is a given...and if being mindful, one will automatically question ones thoughts before they are acted upon...

Kannon
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I've made it a point to keep intention at the forefront during my day to day actions. It's hard and I find a lot of the time I may fall short, but when I do manage to keep to the practise, it's a small victory that I acknowledge then keep going.

_ /\ _

BunksTigger
  • JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

If I'm playing with my dog or cat, then I might say aloud... As I play with my dog may all dogs have fun, plenty to eat and drink, a safe place to sleep, and freedom from cruelty and violence.

Or... As I eat this yogurt may all beings have plenty of food and water. May also beings never hunger. May all beings become enlightened.

I'm not sure if that's what you mean by intention, but that's how I practice intention.

What does practicing intention look like in your practice, @Will_Baker ?

Kannon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Many times, when the activities of the day steamroller us into running, rather than calm abiding, it's difficult to get a handle on each moment, and consider 'Intention'.

The adage "Well, she meant well" is a well-worn one, because actually, it is, when all is said and done, a presumption.

Meaning well is a two-edged blade: one cuts for someone else, the other cuts for us.
    We have to ask ourselves is Right Intention for others' benefit - or ours, more?

BunksTiggerJaySonVastmind
  • The Bodhisattva ideal (which in Theravada is initially directed towards self actualisation) is right intention enabled. Can we live up to/from the ideal? Increasingly through practice.

@Will_Baker does not ask about the intention of being aware of our intent but that is part of it. By developing the integrity to recognise the limited and limitless heart of our being, we learn to focus on the greater and dissolve the lesser.

That is the intention.

BunksTiggerVastmind
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran
    edited January 2017

@JaySon said:
    If I'm playing with my dog or cat, then I might say aloud... As I play with my dog may all dogs have fun, plenty to eat and drink, a safe place to sleep, and freedom from cruelty and violence.

Or... As I eat this yogurt may all beings have plenty of food and water. May also beings never hunger. May all beings become enlightened.

I'm not sure if that's what you mean by intention, but that's how I practice intention.

What does practicing intention look like in your practice, @Will_Baker ?

-My practice involves trying to remember to watch Intention. I have found that when I am watching Intention I am more inclined towards Right Intention.

Thank you all, for the responses...

JaySonlobsterTiggerShoshin
  • TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

My practice does @Will_Baker . I think it's important to understand what one's intentions are, including our own. The Dharma teaches that if a precept is broken unintentionally then it is not considered wrong so practicing intention in Buddhism is very important and something I have been trying to do more often. IMO

• My practice also includes watching television.....

TiggerShoshinDairyLamaKundo
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Will_Baker said:
    Mine does, and I'm curious as to the experience of others in this regard...

I find it challenging but revealing, asking myself why I am doing this or that.

• Seeing intention requires real mindfulness in the moment. When something backfires or I say or do something unskillful, I see how absence of mindfulness and being unware of my intentions led me there. Breath and body awareness help in creating space to notice intentions arising and forming.

TiggerlobsterJaySonVastmind
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

@Dhammika said:
    Seeing intention requires real mindfulness in the moment. When something backfires or I say or do something unskillful, I see how absence of mindfulness and being unware of my intentions led me there. Breath and body awareness help in creating space to notice intentions arising and forming.

-There it is...