Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha teaching: The Dharma is like a raft!

NMADDPNMADDP SUN Diego, California Veteran

From the post "Simple Path" discussion http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/24605/simple-path
make me think of this that I read from another Buddhism forum I'd like to share:

Buddha teaching: The Dharma is like a raft!

• Some see the raft but shy away.
  • Some see the raft are delighted but just stand watching from afar
  • Some see the raft and hurriedly to climb up,then then hurriedly climb down
  • Some see the raft and hurriedly to climb up and hurriedly paddle, without knowing that if one is having the strength to paddle it and to where.
  • Some climb up the raft and just sit there and enjoy the scenery.
  • Some climb up the raft and let it drifts away to wherever to be.
  • Some climb up the raft and just try hurriedly paddle to where one wants to go.
  • Some have the raft, but just want to make it looks better.
  • Some have the raft, but try looking for the flaws on the raft.
  • Some climb up the raft, paddle for a distance, see another raft looks better, get onto that raft, and then repeat again, again...
  • Some just cautiously look at the raft to see if the raft is fit for one, and also careful paddle with the intended journey ... etc ...

I am right now is kind of "- Some climb up the raft, paddle for a distance, see another raft looks better, get onto that raft, and then repeat again, again...". :-(

Which one is you?

A Mi To Fo

JaySonlobsterTara1978

Comments

• TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

To be honest, I will have to say that I am split between "some climb the raft and enjoy the scenery" and "some climb the raft and let it drift away to wherever it may be" depending on the day. I love beautiful scenery and going where the wind blows.

• JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

I'm holding onto a piece of rope connected to the raft, trying to keep my head above water.

TiggersilverlobsterNMADDP
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

My best choice would be 'Some have the raft, but try looking for the flaws on the raft.'
    I don't want it to sink, y'know?! O.o

TiggerNMADDP
  • TorTor California New

Mine's got a crow's nest so I can climb up and see if that new shore is visible yet. I might spend days up there before realizing that while I'm up there I've been dead in the water.

lobsterKundo
  • Great question @NMADDP <3

Maybe sometimes I am a paddle or some other tool (as is sometimes suggested) ;)
    Maybe sometimes the binding, stream, ocean or un-shore.

Tee hee!
    I want to be a pirate flag - ooh arr! Get behind me Yama!

And now back to the raft of ideas ...

JaySonTigger
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited January 2017

Empty rafts. And don't shoot the messenger.

https://completewellbeing.com/article/the-empty-boat/

Shoshinlobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I think I tend to be a drifter. Initially, I watched the raft from afar but never got on. then I got on and paddled like mad (but mostly went in circles). Now I drift a fair amount of time. Sometimes I paddle like mad for a while again, then I drift. I'm ok with that for now. When I paddle too long, my arms get tired.

BunksTigger
  • Some days I like to swim a little.
    Some days I like to swim a lot.
    Some days I like to float and look around.
    I try not to collide with any rafts.
    Some days I'm not in the water at all.

Kundolobster
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Steve_B said:
    Some days I like to swim a little.
    Some days I like to swim a lot.
    Some days I like to float and look around.
    I try not to collide with any rafts.
    Some days I'm not in the water at all.

This :+1:

• Tara1978Tara1978 UK Veteran

I'm very grateful to have a raft. Not sure where it is going, but content to enjoy the journey and not worry about the destination:)

lobsterTigger
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@pegembara said:
    Empty rafts. And don't shoot the messenger.

https://completewellbeing.com/article/the-empty-boat/

Ego is the baggage of the past.

Love it!! =)

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited January 2017

At first I had tried to swim it, but the waves were too big, I had to turn back, however I found the raft, started to paddle and after a while I thought "Stuff this! This is too much like hard work !" so there am "I" in the middle of Samsara ocean with its whirlpools, tsunamis and whatever, I decided to let go of the paddle and managed to rigged up a sail and after dropping sail, it's now tic tacking toe just flow with the blow :wink:

"I" am going nowhere...fast...I guess that part and parcel of the journey of/to non-self discovery ...

I think for the most part, I just sit there and enjoy the scenery. (Well apart from the odd storm surge or two that might muddy the waters a little ...but it soon settles ) :)

lobsterpegembara
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

KundolobsterTigger