Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What's in a name

TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

I'm always curious to know how people get their nicknames/usernames. There is usually a good story that goes along with the inspiration for choosing a name over another and it can be pretty interesting.

Back in highschool the halls would get very busy when classes got out. One of my friends said that she can always point me out in a crowd for 2 reasons.

1) I'm tall
2) Appranetly I bounce when I walk (I would agrue that but that's what I'm told)

My friends favorite cartoon was Winnie the Pooh and she loved tigger...and my nickname in highschool was born. I also love big cats (tigers, lions, leopards cheetahs, pumas etc.). Funny enough when it comes to house cats...I'm more of a fan of dogs.

silverBunksShoshinWalker

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

karasti is my maiden name. There aren't a lot of Karasti's in the world. When I got married, I changed my name to my husband's German name. I don't really regret it, and my reasons for doing so were largely family cohesion because 2 of my kids have a different last name already, so were I to have kept my maiden name, we'd have 3 last names in our house. 2 is enough, LOL. But I miss it. I miss the uniqueness of a name most people don't have. I miss the connection to my ancestry/heritage. So I use it online sometimes for that reason. Still an attachment, of course ;) Also, our immediate family name will die with my sister and I. My boys do not have the Karasti name, and my sister isn't having kids. So that's kind of sad to me in a weird way.

Tiggersilver
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited February 2017

Kerome is derived from my first name... I once tried to create an account with my first name as username, found it was taken, and swapped a few letters out to create a non-word that wasn't taken. I've kept it and used it in a few places.

Tigger
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It's my middle name.....

TiggerKundo
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Many moons ago, I chose 'Silvergirl' as my username on my first spiritual type forum, which is from an S&G song (Bridge Over Troubled Waters). A lot later, I shortened to just Silver.

Tigger
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

I just like walking.

TiggerShoshin
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

I'm Will :-)

TiggerBunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

In High School my mates and I went through a phase of calling each other by our father's name.

My dad's name is Bruce and we called him Bunks as a derivative of that - not sure why?

Anyhoo, that's how I got Bunks.

KundoTigger
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2017

A 'Bruce Bunk' is a twin set of beds, one on top of the other, but the lower bunk is decidedly different to the upper bunk in that it is either a double bed, or can be used as a different fixture such as a couch or table (by spinning the bed over to use its underneath as a flat surface).

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/37/aa/ff/37aaff6292ae139297f2bd26a0c88517.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/09/12/17/2C38AE1D00000578-3232024-image-a-1_1442074070157.jpg

Tigger
  • @Walker said:
    I just like walking.

Nothing to do with that kind of walker in the hit television show then...

Yeah mine is erm... unoriginal

Tigger
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

When I told a friend of mine that I was going to walk the talk and focus on being a dedicated student of the Dharma, she said "you'll be our (friendship group) Dharma chicky then". Hence my name, with a tweak :+1:

silverTigger
  • Mixed up the names of two fictional characters from a story I was writing back then.
    Because why not.

KundoTigger
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I am a Monty Python fan and therefore rather silly...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spiny norman

Tigger
  • TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

As I thought this was very interesting. I feel like a learned a little about everyone on a personal level.

Kundokarastisilver
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

My favourite computer game is Fallout 3 where the post-apocalyptic survivor is known as the lone wanderer. I'm also into pen and paper role playing games my favourite is a Sci Fi game called Traveller so I mashed them up and became Lonely_Traveller.

Tiggersilver