Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Painting....

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited February 2017 in Arts & Writings

I visited a friend of mine at her moms house tonight after work. I've been there about 4 or 5 times, but today I saw a painting for the first time. It was a print/poster in a beautiful frame hanging in her dinning room. It was huge! With a vase of yellow tulips below. And I had a moment. o:) Norman Rockwell .... Golden Rule.

says: “Do Unto Other as You Would Have Them Do Unto You.”
https://www.nrm.org/2014/02/golden_rule/

BunkslobsterJaySonsilverFosdickTigger

Comments

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Good old Rockwell - the critics never liked him, but he was a true master. I understand his usual method involved finding people with looks he liked and posing and costuming them in accordance with his idea, and after that he would paint from the photograph. This takes a lot more skill, vision, and hard work than one might think - especially a critic!

Vastmind
  • I likes art! :glasses:
    http://www.metmuseum.org/blogs/now-at-the-met/2014/tibetan-buddhist-art

Prefer a little more abstraction/absence/emptiness myself ...

Bunksskyfox66
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I always liked Mark Rothko... his work speaks of a deep, almost spiritual respect for boundaries between things.

Tiggerskyfox66
  • ^^. I like that @Kerome looks like a Buddha meditating ...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2017

My favourite Artist ever, of all time, unquestionably, is Ingres. I absolutely love ALL his works and I could sit and gaze at them for hours.... I once took my husband to an exhibition of his work at the Tate, in London, and made him close his eyes as I led him gently, and stood him before the imposing grandeur of the quasi-life-size portrait of the Emperor Napoleon. When he opened his eyes, a rare thing happened: it smote him speechless.

No photo or picture can ever hope to do the portrait justice, and until you've seen the brush-strokes up close, you cannot begin to imagine the dedication, skill and expertise that went into creating such a timeless masterpiece....

Ingres was heavily criticised for his style and depiction at the time (it took him 3 years to complete it) but the portrait is now considered to be one of the finest examples of technical work in existence.
    So much so that at the Exhibition at the Tate, it had its own display chamber, with singularly specific lighting.... Showing it to my husband is something I shall not forget. Wonderful moment.

If I were stranded on a desert Island and could take but one work of Art, This would be it.

FosdickVastmind
  • TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

That one is really nice @Kerome. I think it would look amazing if it was reconstructed out of tempered glass or tiles.

JeroenVastmind