Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Creepy or convenient

2»

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2017

Well said @Steve_B
    We are being manipulated. I sent the article/link to my cousin, who is perhaps more interested in the political process. I am quoting part of their response:

They are the people that don't believe mainstream media anymore; they don't believe most of what they are told at all. They have watched their lives get poorer as the decades have passed, despite what they are being told. They haven't found any politicians represent their needs or the needs of their families or communities. They see pointless war after war and waste of money, and they see the cycles. They don't even recognise right or left so much anymore; they think right and left are just two sides of the same establishment coin to give the illusion of democracy. They have children that will be poorer than they will be, with less opportunity. They live that life, as does their neighbour, despite neighbour's colour or religion, they are all in it together (so they don't even believe it's about the 'cultural' issues that mainstream media stream at us; they see that as distracting from what's really going on), and the 'politically correct' police will keep these people from voicing their views - they will be quiet - so that just means the polls will be wrong, and metric companies won't get to manipulate their on line profiles, because they won't be honest, or even on line ...so, as is intended, in my view, the intellectual discussion about real issues that are changing our lives remains shut down.

BUT, these people have still got a secret ballot ...AND, no screen, of any size or propaganda agenda, will change the fact that, no matter how crazy it might seem, it has actually got to the stage where it's better to vote for the complete unknown than to vote for what we've always had going back in all living memory and probably longer. It just means the smaller societies of 'liberal' but louder people, who are managing alright in this system, and are allowed to stream their views everywhere, don't understand the struggles of quiet millions. The agenda to polarise us is what I find truly frightening.

So, I wonder, maybe there is a quiet revolution trying to find its voice... but they are not among the loud and shallow protests about 'values'... and they are also not represented by Trump or alt right Trump supporters either... although in a bizarre way they finally got some sort of muffled voice with Brexit and Trump on a ballot paper. Anyway, it leaves me pondering, when I'm not being programmed to maintain a primal anger with all the other masse watching their smart screens (currently four screens around me right now), that MAYBE, the worm is slowly turning???

person
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I live in an area of the quiet millions he talks about. But I still disagree with their logic. They are very narrow-focused and a lot of what they are saying is a degradation of their and their children's lives is due to their refusal to get education, move for job opportunities, and make their lives fit into the world the way everyone else has to. They complain about everyone who is entitled, yet they feel they are entitled to have whatever job they desire because that's what generations have always done in those places (ie car companies in Detroit, miners in the rust belts, etc). They don't want to get educations, they have no experience outside of their small towns. They are suffering, yes. Including family members of mine, and friends. But despite their refusal to see it, a lot of it is their own choice and refusal to move on with a world that is constantly changing.

personTigger
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

^^^
    Amen, sister

Vastmind
  • ZenCanuckZenCanuck Toronto, ON Explorer

@SpinyNorman said:
    My passwords include Pali words and mathematical constants. What fun!

I used to work at a computer reseller lo these many years ago in New England where the network engineer was a guy nobody could stand. Among his many non-charms was he decided to "come out of the closet" about being Indian and he went FULL-BLOWN Indian, trying to be more Indian than the Indians. Back then password rules weren't as convoluted and complex as they are today so the servers we sent out with a network admin password were generally simpler.

On one occasion a customer had a problem with their network and we sent out a couple of our junior techs who came to the conclusion that the problem was server-level and neither of them had the password since they weren't the network engineer. They figured they could fix the problem if they could get in, but they knew Curry-For-Brains would never give it to them (a massive ego was on the list of his non-charms). The customer meanwhile begged them not to sic the network engineer on them because not only was he egotistical and condescending, but the greatest of his non-charms was that he chronically smelled bad (the kind of B.O. that was physiological and pretty much incurable). The junior techs looked at each other & figured if they could guess the password they could get in, but they only had three chances. "Well," said one, "You KNOW he probably picked something related to India." So they tried India. No go. They then tried Mumbai. No go. Finally they agreed to try "Delhi" and that worked.

'T'was soooooo easy to guess the password when you knew the party in question.

• TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran
    edited February 2017

@ZenCanuck is it just me or are you a little angry today?

I read your post under "Remaining pockets of sanity in America" and then read this one. Seems like you might be having a bad day. I think an Indian person can be as Indian as they choose, I don't really understand what the first paragraph has to do with anything.

Can you please not say things like "curry for brains", it's not nice. You may not agree with him or you may not have liked him. He may not have been very nice but curry for brains is a bit much.

At least call him a jerk

Kundo

@ZenCanuck is there a point to that story other than to disparage someone? I have to agree with Tigger. You are coming across very "get off my lawn!" irate-old-man today.

Tigger
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

When one enters on the path, one more often than not brings along excess baggage ( things that one thinks will assist them along the way, such as attachments to prejudices etc) but after awhile this baggage begins to feel quite cumbersome, one begins to find it really slows down ones progress, and eventually one becomes so tired of carrying all this excess weight, one starts to drop it little by little and the more one drops the lighter/freer one feels ....and eventually realisation lights the way :)

Tiggerlobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Moderator note:

Well, the 'team' has spoken, @ZenCanuck .... maybe you need to take a step back and look at 'where you're coming from'.

And more importantly, why...

Tigger
  • ZenCanuckZenCanuck Toronto, ON Explorer

@Tigger said:

I read your post under "Remaining pockets of sanity in America" and then read this one. Seems like you might be having a bad day. I think an Indian person can be as Indian as they choose, I don't really understand what the first paragraph has to do with anything.

Can you please not say things like "curry for brains", it's not nice. You may not agree with him or you may not have liked him. He may not have been very nice but curry for brains is a bit much.

At least call him a jerk

I'm a little tired of the left's unwillingness to listen to other people's criticisms, as they condemn the right for this. So yeah, I've been having a lot of bad days since the election.

As for the so-called Indian guy, okay, maybe 'curry-for-brains' was a little out of line.

As for the rest of you, if I'm being divisive, I'll back off a bit. Yeah, I'm struggling with anger. But yeah, I'm tired of the conversation often being so one-sided (speaking generally here, not of this discussion forum). I get the impression there's only one acceptable position re Muslims and Islamophobia: Defend them uncritically. (Talking about this forum too now.)

I'm going to just check the other conversations I participated in, then I'll take off for a week or so. Not in an angry way, just for everyone including myself to cool off.

silver
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Er.... I don't think anyone else here needs a week to 'cool off'.... Good call.
    And if we can help with the 'Anger Issues' you couldn't be in a better place.

lobster
    edited February 2017

@techie said:

I call this the Trump effect - even newbuddhist members are going crazy, lol.

No some were already @lostered long before Trump, trumped up :)

lobsterkarasti
  • As for the rest of you, if I'm being divisive, I'll back off a bit. Yeah, I'm struggling with anger.

I struggle with anger. Less and less lately - I blame Buddhist practice. =);)

@ZenCanuck you are doing fine. Aunty @federica will place you in the naughty corner, unless you learn to admit/curb/work on your less skilful tendencies, which we all have ...

Some of our members for good reasons have very strong alignments. We all have one growing alignment in common:

The three stooges

The Buddha (the awakened ideal)
    The Sangha (those on the path supporting us here, in center's and monasteries)
    The Dharma (the lore, teachings and hadith of the prophets awakened)

silver

@ZenCanuck as much as I seem to be against your views here understand that I am just participating in a debate and didn't like some of your comments. Other comments you had in the past were great which is why I felt you might be having a bad day..it was almost obvious.

I think I may understand what your trying to say but it's not coming across how you think. I totally agree with you that both sides need to listen to each other, I don't think there is a person on earth that would disagree with you but you make it seem like the right is doing everything in their power to help but the evil left is stopping them and being unreasonable. There are good and great people in every religion, race and country and there are terrible people in every religion, race and country.

As for anger issues, you're preaching to the choir, I have those too with a side of depression for time to time so I get you and your anger but I just feel (feel being the operative word) that your anger is in the wrong place IMO. I hope you stay here and hopefully after the dust settles from this election we can all move on and talk about more positive things <3

Something I think is worth mentioning, not just for this forum but in discussions about any of these topics. Advice I give my kids almost every day.

When you are discussing an issue, stick to the issue and not individuals or entire groups of people. One can discuss issues and criticize policies etc without attacking groups of people and their beliefs. Especially when we lack significant understanding of those beliefs. This is why everything Trump has said and done is so ill-received. There are issues within Islam that need to be discussed, but attacking and banning a group of people that contain almost 25% of the global population because of a handful of awful behaving people is not the way to go about discussing and solving those issues. Criticize the issues. Not the people who are trying to escape the same stuff we are trying to protect ourselves from.

Secondly, quite often it is not what you say that is a problem but how you say it. Online, this is a big challenge. But in person it matters a lot, too. Even when you have heavy criticism to dish out, it can be done with love and compassion at its base. It is like punishing a child. If someone is handing out punishments and has no foundation of trust and love, it is nothing but a dictator controlling someone and trying to shape the world their way. Whereas when discipline comes from love, care and compassion, even consequences take on a whole different tone. There is a big difference and discussions about sensitive issues in our world need to be partaken with love and compassion and understanding (or seeking to do so) and not just a manner of fear, control and punishment.

TiggerlobsterShoshinVastmind

I tend to put it down to human nature=human flaws...

The five aggregates in a constant state of flux ie, karmic bundles of self-generated energy flux =human flaws that we "all" share, some more dominant/persistent than others...Just take look through the threads see the flaws we are (at one time of other) all guilty of ...

All except for "me" of course... because "I AM" the model of perfection...The perfect flaw :)

Trying to keep one's own 'self-interest' out when criticising others.....opens up a whole can of 'relative' worms... "I" am judging "You" by "My" moral compass....( which at times could well be on the blink )

lobstersilver

That's why how you say something matters so much. simply adding "I think" "I feel" or "in my opinion" takes a huge judgmental edge off what you have to say because the receiver knows you are sharing your perception and not attempting to put a blanket judgment on the way everything should be for everyone based on your moral compass.

TiggerVastmind
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Tigger said:

At least call him a jerk

I understand what you're saying, @Tigger - but I am lmao over here. I know myself to be rather irascible (love that word), but it's usually spoken in my thoughts only. I'd get in trouble real quick if I said these things out loud, ha!

But, to be honest, I think calling someone a jerk is just as bad as something more 'creative' like curry for brains or I'd say the better phrase is chutney for brains - that stuff is awful, heh. I'm so sorry, but when I grew up as a fat kid, I heard some pretty creative, derisions. And the thing is - I laughed, too, they were so good, some of them.

But I agree and the problem seems to have been worked out in any event. Just wanted to share my story and my 2 cents/pesos.

Shoshin
  • Good points from @Shoshin
    Bubble mentality, group think or in our case rite [sic] speech is not an excuse to promote or dissuade difficult topics ... o:)

For example calling DJ Potus the 'Disney Trump Franchise' is disrespectful, childish and unskillful. However we are only human or in my case aspire to be ... In an ideal Buddha World, Resident Tripe would be reborn in the kindergarten with the other political toddlers and trained to be Statesmen rather than a celebrity tweet surrounded by ambitious sychophants and worse ... :p [oops - off to naughty corner]

To promote non-Buddhist theology or criticise hormonal based dumb dharma as unskilled sleep walking would be grounds for censure on many forums ... However we are on occasion offered such freedom ... B)

The original intention of this thread was about data collection by vested interests. Have we by our output made others smarter and more aware or are we complicit in ignorance?

Answers to the usual kind indulgers ...

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2017

@Steve_B said: My car keys are always in the ignition. My house is unlocked.

That's interesting. If you give me your address I will enter you in a prize competition. :p

TiggerKundo
    edited February 2017

@silver said:
    to be honest, I think calling someone a jerk is just as bad as something more 'creative' like curry for brains or I'd say the better phrase is chutney for brains - that stuff is awful, heh.

I agree with you @silver and I don't agree with calling people names although I have been guilty of that myself. To me, calling someone curry for brains when speaking about someone who is Indian just doesn't seem right. Anyone and everyone can be a jerk without making it a cultural thing so if someone is going to say something, it just sounds better. With that said, you are 100% correct - name calling is unskillful.

Now before I get a reputation for arguing, I'm going to excuse my self from this thread and the the thread on sanity in America or a lack thereof.

Let's all move on now =)

<3 to all

@federica said:
    You guys do realise I'm here, right? And there is such a thing as a 'Flag' icon....?
    I mean, taking umbrage is one thing. Getting into a scrap is quite another.
    What dafuq am I, Scotch mist....?

I could never forget you're here @federica <3

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

James! Stephen! Baghdad! Zanzibar!

(Sorry - I just couldn't resist a little more name calling - joins @Lobster in the naughty corner)

Tiggersilverlobster
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@federica said:
    You guys do realise I'm here, right? And there is such a thing as a 'Flag' icon....?

Mmm! Scotch Mist sounds like a great little drink! B)

...Or is that literally Scotch mist (as in fog)? O.o

Tigger

@silver said:

@federica said:

Mmm! Scotch Mist sounds like a great little drink! B)

...Or is that literally Scotch mist (as in fog)? O.o

'Scotch mist' is a colloquial saying, meaning noticing the patently obvious. Scotch mist is so dense sometimes, you can't see your hand in front of your face, it is said. Naturally, it has given its name to a cocktail.

silver
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@federica said:

We could NEVER forget you, our Dharma Gangsta <3

Tigger

@federica you do not trust our arm chair moderating? :surprised::open_mouth:

silverVastmind
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@karasti said:
    @federica you do not trust our arm chair moderating? :surprised::open_mouth:

I don't and I'm one of them :awesome:

lobsterVastmindkarasti