Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Inside out

I talk to trees (like gods/yidams I would worry if they talked back too much/outside my inner imaginings). In fact I interact/talk to most things. In other words, I listen to their message/revelation/Buddha Nature. Introspection, contemplation going inward, also means ignoring the unskilful, ignorant, dukkha, monkey mind in my opinion.

Does the Sangha include not only our human, fish and animal friends but go further still? Do we talk to sunsets with poets? Empty bowls full of potential giving?

How is the relationship to the outer, part of the inner journey?

ShoshinNerodia1968

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I talk to almost everything I come across. Even rocks. Especially rocks. They provide such a good foundation for our planet and lives. Everything talks back if you know how to listen. Yesterday we had really fluffy, soft, snow globe-style snow. You'd expect silence (which is common when it snows) but if you listen close, you can hear the icy snow twinkling through the sleeping branches of the trees. it sounds like a crystal chandelier. I'm pretty sure the animals are silent because they are listening, too.

Bunks
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I talk to the moon and the stars and the night sky - clouds n such.
    And it's a big one tonight (the moon, that is). I noticed a couple really small clouds down and to the left, but I thought I saw something cross in front of the moon - maybe it was Santa Clause - oh, nope...maybe the Easter Bunny - uh, Cupid?

When I don't talk to them, I blow them kisses or try to wink like the stars. Rocks are great listeners and the trees whisper back.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited February 2017

@karasti said:
    I talk to almost everything I come across. Even rocks. Especially rocks. They provide such a good foundation for our planet and lives. Everything talks back if you know how to listen. Yesterday we had really fluffy, soft, snow globe-style snow. You'd expect silence (which is common when it snows) but if you listen close, you can hear the icy snow twinkling through the sleeping branches of the trees. it sounds like a crystal chandelier. I'm pretty sure the animals are silent because they are listening, too.

Ahhhh, the sounds of a Minnesota winter.....sounds beautiful @karasti

I'll share with you the sound of an Australian summer.....they're outside every night at the moment doing their thing! What are they trying to tell me I wonder?

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Bunks said:

I'll share with you the sound of an Australian summer.....they're outside every night at the moment doing their thing! What are they trying to tell me I wonder?

Unless one is into kinky sex, I would cease wondering :):wink:

They stridulate to attract a mate...Tis a love song of sorts...

Bunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I listen mostly to things that are inside... this morning things are unusually silent, not much knocking or tinnitus or little pulses. Sometimes I think I catch a word about "duty", but it could just be the rushing of blood in my ears. I wonder what my body would tell me if it could?

I think we should all have a lot of respect for the body. It is a big friend, very reliable... when you try to move your hand, your hand moves, when you attempt to speak, your throat and lips spring into action. It goes to great lengths to make you comfortable. Even though we are not the body, it is our home while we live our lives, our ever-present servant, and also a teacher. It teaches us about growing, sex, tiredness, strength, aging and ultimately letting go. It is quite wonderful.

Bunkssilver
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Bunks said: I'll share with you the sound of an Australian summer.....they're outside every night at the moment doing their thing! What are they trying to tell me I wonder?

Their names are all Jiminy, and they're banging on about conscisnce...... or sumphin'......

(Now get that song out ya head. You can't, can you - !? :lol: )

How is the relationship to the outer, part of the inner journey?

Reflections

• Wonderful replies guys many thanks,

Yes in a sense the world is a reflection of how we see, what we focus on ...

Useful technique from @Shoshin
    Talk to the mirror. Talk to the Buddha. Don't go mad (not skilful) - maybe too late for some of us [lobster raises claw]. :3

You don't need a melong (magic Pendant mirror).
    http://rubinmuseum.org/events/event/mirror-meditation-04-04-2016

Bunks
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:

If there are ANY of them outside my room tonight, I'm flying down to Melbourne to find you and share my joy at being up all night....... :scream:

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I am a bit of a closet Pagan though I don't do nudey dancing in the woods anymore. :p

lobster

@dhammachick said:

@Bunks said:

If there are ANY of them outside my room tonight, I'm flying down to Melbourne to find you and share my joy at being up all night....... :scream:

Ha! I have found if you jump and down with a thud near them they stop.

@federica said:

@Bunks said: I'll share with you the sound of an Australian summer.....they're outside every night at the moment doing their thing! What are they trying to tell me I wonder?

Their names are all Jiminy, and they're banging on about conscisnce...... or sumphin'......

What song?

• @karasti said:
    I talk to almost everything I come across. Even rocks. Especially rocks.

I live on a rock (Earth they call it) ;)

This idea of listening/being receptive often starts with nature. The Buddha Nature is in all things including and most incredibly even the trump bad stuff ...

Do not waste time on being hurt by the hateful. Learn from the rock/refuge that supports and grounds us ... o:)

Bunks

@Bunks said:

@federica said:

What song?

Pinocchio where Jiminy "cricket" sings "Let conscience be your guide" ...However the stridulation song in your post is sung by Cecil the cicada :)

Bunks

@lobster said:
    Wonderful replies guys many thanks,

Yes in a sense the world is a reflection of how we see, what we focus on ...

Useful technique from @Shoshin
    Talk to the mirror. Talk to the Buddha. Don't go mad (not skilful) - maybe too late for some of us [lobster raises claw]. :3

You don't need a melong (magic Pendant mirror).
    http://rubinmuseum.org/events/event/mirror-meditation-04-04-2016

The so-called outside world is nothing but 'reflections' @lobster , the only thing that sits behind the eyes is a lump of fatty grey matter...a computer of sorts, that processes incoming data. Our sense doors take in millions of bits of information per second, but our ol' grey matter can only process around a couple of hundred bits tops, and the rest is based upon guesstimates, for the most part it does a pretty good job, but it does have its flaws...

I 'guess' a 'thing' to remember is ...
    "Things and events have only a 'verbal reality'...They don;t exist in nature!"

lobster
  • Came into this one a little late..."real" compiter now working, somewhat.
    For each of us, the world, as we perceive it, is a reflection of our own lives. It is not a reflection in terms of outside actions, rain, sun, wind, other people...
    Rather is is a reflection of our life condition, how we perceive and react to the environment around us.
    Example:
    When you are depressed, the world closes in around you; you do not see or fail to comprehend the people around you who are reaching out to you. The "rope" that is "thrown" to you is just a useless piece if fiber.
    However, when you are happy, everyone and everything around you reflects that happiness.
    Over simplification perhaps, but useful, I hope.

Peace to all

lobsterTigger