Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Basics of Buddhism

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

The term "basic" comes across as what one should know before delving into the not so basic ...

So what would you say is the basics of Buddhism ?

Is it the "Four Noble Truths" ?

I tend to use the 4NTs as my internal reference points...Perhaps others take a different approach .....

Different strokes of the paddle for different folks on the raft

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

The simple-minded like me need to boil it down to the lowest common denominator - like the C word.

(Compassion)

BunksShoshinTigger
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2017

Simplify.
    It's actually the basic tenet of any loving calling: Do as you would be done by.

BunksKundoShoshinTigger
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@SpinyNorman , I guess that link would depend on how one defines 'basic'. Those factors are commendable, but I think it would depend on how new a person was to Buddhism, and as to how 'basics' would be interpreted....

• ShimShim Veteran
    edited February 2017

Don't be nasty unless necessary. (It will get you in trouble) Sit down. Stand up.

Have fun. But not too much. Mwahaha.

Google tells me malicious software is connected to those two links.

Don't be nasty - ever. It is never necessary..... ;)

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Whenever I start to break down even the simplest basis of Buddhist philosophy or terms, I always arrive back at kindness, particularly for ourselves which is necessary to truly extend it to others. It's no wonder HHDL so often has quotes such as "My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness." It seems to me that the basis of Buddhism is a lot of learning how to be kind to ourselves and then to extend it out. And to be openly, vulnerably, raw-ly kind and loving to ourselves, there is a whole lot of work we have to do in the process and that is what practice is.

lobsterpersonTigger
  • Outstanding answers everyone.
    I would say, study, meditation, awareness and friendliness.

For me the sitting Buddha instructs and constantly becomes my basis. I loved the cheatsheet. Really that could be a mandala, study shrine.

I also love that at heart, the Buddha was female.

BunkssilverKannon
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited February 2017

@lobster said:

I also love that at heart, the Buddha was female.

I have always been attracted** to female teachers - whether it be at school or in the Dharma. Not sure why?

**Not in a sexual way.....

Shoshin
  • ShimShim Veteran
    edited February 2017

@federica said:
    Google tells me malicious software is connected to those two links.

Don't be nasty - ever. It is never necessary..... ;)

Sorry! It should be just an ordinary youtube link but I probably messed up something.
    (edit: oh yes, I did, I get the same error message. It's just because I copied the link straight from google search and tried to shorten it. Here it is. Just a song from which I stole those four words.)

Trying not to be nasty!

Shoshin
  • @Bunks said:
    I have always been attracted** to female teachers - whether it be at school or in the Dharma. Not sure why?

I would suggest a variety of possible reasons:

• Enlightenment is a receptive rather than active principle
    • The feminine is cooperative, the masculine competitive
    • Our first refuge is The Mother
    • Donald Trump is a man - kick him in the pussy (I rest my case) :p
      http://www.buddhanetz.org/texte/feminin.htm

@Shim keep up the anti-nasty program - good plan ... did I just fail at basic kind speech again ... tsk, tsk ... naughty corner permenant residency may be required :o

... and now back to Basics ... o:)

ShoshinBunkskerance
  • namarupanamarupa Veteran
    edited February 2017

The answer is compassion, so we must try not to formulate too many questions since we already have the answer.

Shoshin
  • TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

I think is the basics of Buddhism is compassion and kindness but it's so much more than just these 2 words. We must be kind and compassionate to ourselves and the ones we care about around us. We need to be kind and compassionate to strangers, even when it's difficult or they test our patience. We need to be kind and compassionate to animals. We need to be kind and compassionate to trees, shrubs, plants and flowers. I think if you do this the basics will fall into place.

Shoshinlobster
  • GuiGui Veteran
    edited February 2017

All compounded things are impermanent.
    All emotions are painful.
    All phenomena are without inherent existence.
    Nirvana is beyond extremes.

-known as the Four Seals

personShoshin