Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Currently Reading

13»

Comments

• RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

@Namada said:
    Just finished Albert Camus - the stranger

and now reading Thomas Mann - the magic mountain

My Spouse just read stranger and loved it. He only made it about 1/3 of the way through Magic Mountain before he had to take a break. I'll be interested to know if you feel the same way about it!

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited August 2016

@RuddyDuck9 Hehe the same thing happened in my case, I've barely made it through 1/3 of the book, and after a break I just stopped reading it. I Think it has with the development of the protagonist, Hans Castrop
    He and I have not the same sense of humor. In addition , I lose sympathy with him because he thinks that almost everyone around him is hopeless people and he looks down on them, and those around him are patients at a hospital in the Alps.
    In my view he should rather show them more respect ;)

• RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

@Namada right! I mean, he's a patient there, too, and he doesn't even realize it! Or at least that's my theory. As I mentioned before, Spouse never finished so Neither did I.

• Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

Reading "Doctor Sleep" at the moment...

• I just finished "Path of Return Continues the Journey" by Thich Nhat Hanh. It seems to be quite unknown (for some reason it's one of the handful of his books that has been translates to Finnish and could be found at my local library), it's one of his early works written in the form of a play.
    All the main characters are dead.
    I kind of wish it had been my first Buddhist book, it's really charming - and short.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I guess, with having all the main characters dead - it would be!

Shim
  • ShimShim Veteran

Okay. I did it again. I went to that section of the local library* and picked up
    'Everyday Zen' by Charlotte Joko Beck and 'Zen Wrapped in Karma Dipped in Chocolate' by Brad Warner. First one I've already read but didn't give much thought to it then. Second one I'm also a bit skeptic about but we'll see how it goes.

*somehow most of their Buddhist books are either 101 books or by more or less controversial authors. Pffft.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Thanks to a comment from @federica , I've just finished What Makes You Not A Buddhist

Bloody good read :+1:

federica
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

I've just Finished The Last Enemy by Richard Hillary. It was very good...

• started reading https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/The_fruitful_darkness.html?id=Mu0RAQAAIAAJ&redir_esc=y
    fruitful darkness by Joan Halifax.
    Interesting............. as my first toe in the water reading such a book.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited February 2017

I've been reading Osho's From Sex to Superconsciousness book, which was made from a lecture series he gave in 1968. Still amazingly current today.

What I want to say is this: sex is divine. The primal energy of sex has the reflection of God in it. It is obvious: it is the energy that creates new life. And that is the greatest, most mysterious force of all.

End this enmity with sex. If you want a shower of love in your life, renounce this conflict with sex.

• Dharma Punx by Noah Levine. Good stuff!

Tigger
  • TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran
    edited February 2017

Keep them coming everyone...I'm getting a really big list of books to read. I will check that one out @Shim. I read what the book was about - sounds interesting.

Thanks

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Gotten about a third of the way through Shunryu Suzuki's Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind. Enjoying it, it's a very good way to start investigating Zen in a practical way.

Tigger
  • KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSU Ach-To Veteran

I am currently reading a book borrowed from my therapist called The Better Angels of Our Nature by Steven Pinker. It's about how violence in the human race has historically declined over thousands of years and our future. It's got a lot of good information and arguments and I like it a lot