Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mysterious blue flash

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
edited March 2017 in General Banter

I saw something strange this morning that I still can't explain.

I was sitting at my desk and beside me, about a foot off the ground, I saw a bright blue flash for a split second in my peripheral vision.

It was only small and I would have written it off as my eyes playing tricks on me but the guy beside me saw it too!

We've been racking our brain and the only explanation is that it may have been a reflection off something outside but we're a long way from a window so that seems unlikely.

Weird......

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

So, did you two look at each other in bewilderment when it happened, or did you just start talking about it? Was it kind of electric-like flash (bright/neon) or hazy? That would make me very curious, too. O.o

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Yeah. We looked at each other and he said "did you see that?" and we started talking about what it might be.

I googled but all I really got was that it was a ghost or my angel which I'm a little dubious about for the obvious reasons...

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Yeah. We looked at each other and he said "did you see that?" and we started talking about what it might be.

I googled but all I really got was that it was a ghost or my angel which I'm a little dubious about for the obvious reasons...

Oh you found my halo. It's amazing the places that thing gets to :awesome:

BunksTigger
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2017

No, I got that, @dhammachick , for when you begin to behave yourself two days running.... :tongue:

@Bunks, seriously though, if you and your colleague work on computers in close proximity, there is a minor possibility the blue flash was a discharge of static between your appliances.

My ex- who is a Computer systems engineer, (if anyone is interested, he helped design the AS400 IBM behemoth) once recalled seeing a similar incident between two computers. It's all about atmospheric conditions, right temperature, distance and electronic activity all meeting perfectly 'in the zone' in one nanosecond of an instant, and making merry, apparently.

If that helps.
    If computers were NOT involved, try an exorcist.

BunksKundopersonkarasti
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    No, I got that, @dhammachick , for when you begin to behave yourself two days running.... :tongue:

Lol. No telling secrets......

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Following my avatar suggestion..... o:)

Kundo
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Good point @federica. Yes, we both use laptops so that could be it.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I agree with @federica static discharge seems most likely. On dry winter nights, when I was a kid, I used to get completely under my blanket and rustle it around to make blue lightning. It was great fun to pretend I was a caveman in a cave during a giant thunderstorm, lol.

Bunks