Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My Weekend Retreat So Far...

Mrs Tosh is away for the weekend, so my plan was to drop her off (she's partying with our daughter at her university for the weekend) and have a home weekend retreat with my dog.

The rules were:

1. No screens (computer, internet, tv, or phone).
  2. Plenty of alternate spiritual reading and meditation.
  3. Walking meditation with the dog.

So far I've eaten 6 cherry bakewells and a large bag of chocolate raisins and here I am on the internet.

I'm not very good at this Buddhist thing!

Still, I can start now, can't I?

See you on Sunday...

federicakarastiVastmindDakiniKundokerance

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It's not the weekend, officially until midnight, or just thereafter, so you're safe.

so far...

Start when you get up.

I suggest you get up just before 3 pm..... ;)

BunksVastmind
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

LOL, I'd say you are just doing prep work :) Enjoy your weekend!

• There is a wonderful excuse teaching in kabbalah that for every virtue we develop, we are balanced by a vice. o:)>:)

Nobody moves away without moving closer. We are always on the cherry bakewells Path. :grin:

Thanks for the confession. :lol: I bet the extreme dharma sets in and you practice yourself silly. Bravo.

“More smiling, less worrying. More compassion, less judgment. More blessed, less stressed. More love, less hate.”
    ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

VastmindBunksKundo
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

It sounds like your weekend plans need more structure. Plan a general outline of activities: walking, meditating, grocery shopping, perhaps journaling if you're into that, visiting a friend, going to the gym, Reading is good, too. Maybe reward yourself for sticking with your discipline by taking yourself to dinner somewhere.

personTosh
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

From my (limited) experience, attempting to undertake a retreat at home is difficult when the TV / interweb is only a click away.

I nred to be away from that in a group environment at my current level of practice.

Good luck to those who can beat the temptation!

Tosh
  • KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSU Ach-To Veteran

@Kerome that's a great idea and seems pretty doable

• ToshTosh Veteran

@Bunks said:
    From my (limited) experience, attempting to undertake a retreat at home is difficult when the TV / interweb is only a click away.

I nred to be away from that in a group environment at my current level of practice.

Good luck to those who can beat the temptation!

I wasn't one of them; you're right.

I even ended up eating a whole chocolate gateau the next day and just feeling dirty.

I did run 13 miles though and tried to be mindful whenever I became mindful that I wasn't.

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

A WHOLE Chocolate Gateau...!? Bloody hell.....!

Tosh
  • ToshTosh Veteran

@federica said:
    A WHOLE Chocolate Gateau...!? Bloody hell.....!

I firstly ate a quarter of it, and then returned and consumed the rest.

My name is Tosh, and I'm a gateau-aholic.

But who just wants a little bit of sweet stuff?

There, the first step to recovery is an acceptance that there is a problem...

federica

...and 'awesome'......

Tosh

Ha! I looked that up in LCHF with no luck? ;)

• I even ended up eating a whole chocolate gateau the next day and just feeling dirty.

You are a dharma slag/dharma dick? Welcome to the naughty corner. (I am a permanent resident) :3

Thanks for confessing. <3

Self discipline is a mahayana way. Too great for us beginners. The last two personal retreats I was on, I hardly mentioned. Cake and biscuits are gone very rapidly. Chocolate cake lasting two days? Pah! I believe chocolate is medicine ... (so deluded) :3

It is very easy (mostly) to be compassionate about others. If the Buddha was a chocolate gateaux, practice would be easy. :p

I take refuge in the Buddha Gateaux o:)
    gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā

Lobster translation:
    Gateaux, Gateaux, Gateaux void filling, gone Beyond Buddhas
    Emptiness
    http://www.interluderetreat.com/meditate/ppsutra.htm

ToshKundo

Ha ha! You are an idiot @lobster :)

lobsterKundo